2006 Ford Explorer - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:
Not radiator, check your head gasket
By Tanner on 10/29/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2006 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I went through 5 radiators before I figured out I had a blown head gasket. Now, my block is warped which happens to all 06-07 4.0's when they overheat.

Recall the Radiator!
By Sukijoe on 10/27/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2006 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my Explorer with 18000mi. in Feb of 09'. Thought I was in heaven till the engine started making a hideous noise, pulled off highway, dash went red and car shut off! Has 42,212 miles, Ford will not make good on this. Again, they say they've never heard of this! I think it's time for the Attorney General's office to step in. No warning of this! They tell me it's a maintenance issue. I also have a 96' Explorer with 257000 miles that my son is now driving! I seem to have maintained that without a problem! Been driving Ford for 26 years! How 'bout something for loyalty? Anything but this. There is a $5,680 price tag on a new engine and radiator. Really Ford? Quality is not job one.

Bad Radiator
By Mike S. on 10/26/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2006 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

2006 Ford Explorer From what i am reading it looks like our 2006 explorers are having radiator problems. I got the truck new in 2006 and in less then 1 year had to have the radiator replaced. the 2nd radiator is starting to give me problems now at about 40k miles. i notice my recovery tank getting low on coolant. I don't see any leaks but i can smell it. I took it to the dealer for a pressure test but they say they can't find a problem. Over all i don't have any other problems so far with the truck. I was at a Lowe's store and i parked my explorer next to another explorer. I asked the owner if his was a 2006 and if he had any problems. he said yes a 2006 and the radiator was replaced

Bad Radiator
By Nate on 09/27/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2006 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

*Contact Ford about your BAD RADIATOR! I have a 2006 Ford Explorer and I have had the same "bad radiator" experience that many other people have posted about. At 45,000 miles it started to leek and finally began to separate from the vehicle. I wrote a letter to Ford about the problem and they sent a letter back to me with a number to call. I called and spoke with a representative who took down all of my info, she told me if they get enough complaints they will post a recall and we can get a reimbursement for the repairs we had to pay for. If you haven't already contacted them, do it!

Bad radiator
By gn on 09/03/10 10:04 AM (PDT)

2006 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

It will surge at slow speeds while going forward or reverse. Now at 41,000 miles the radiator has sprung a leak. The dealer says this is the first they have heard of explorers having radiator problems. A fun thing to do is when you see someone with a 2006 explorer ask them if they have replaced the radiator yet. You get a surprised look and an answer like "how did you know?"

NoMoreFords
By NoMoreFords on 07/23/10 17:05 PM (PDT)

2006 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Thank God for the extended warranty. 3 radiators, 1 A/C, shifter column, back windshield motor, tire sensor, and 4 other problems later I'm done with Ford. Several problems lurking too (transmission, 4 wheel drive). This vehicle is a piece of junk after 20,000 miles. Too bad cause I like the styling. Trading it in soon for a 4Runner. Resale value was surprising positive.

Transmission
By AmandaP on 07/20/10 19:40 PM (PDT)

2006 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I didn't have any problems with this car, in fact, I bragged to my husband all the time about how much I loved it. Then at 55,000 miles I was broke down on the side of the road an hour away from home because the transmission went out with no warning. Then it cost $2,200 to fix it.

OMG - And I thought that it was just me
By Christina on 07/15/10 16:32 PM (PDT)

2006 Ford Explorer XLS 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased my 06 Ford Explorer brand new off of the lot in Sept 06. Around 38K miles I had a radiator leak. I called Ford corporate and to no avail they would not negotiate with me on the radiator since it was out of the 30K warranty. Several months later while attempting to get out of my driveway, the gearshift was stuck in park. After an hour I was able to get it, but after that the transmission would shift horribly from Park into reverse. I took it to the dealer and told them that it had to be because of the sticking gearshift (that was recalled) only to be told that that transmission needed to be partially replaced. I'm at 68K miles and I refuse to replace the transmission on a 3.5 year old car.

Graetly Disappointed in FORD
By RYTYJAY on 07/14/10 16:08 PM (PDT)

2006 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased the truck brand new, I brought the truck in for Recall (shift Plate) very difficult to shift, I told them I was having a hard shift jolt when putting it in reverse like being rearended. They told me they couldn't find the problem, they put in a new PCM. (new computer) after the new PCM they stated there still was no answers for the transmission problem. I asked if it had anything to do with the recall they said no! I didn't understand how they could say that if they didn't know what the problem was? anyway they asked if they could pull the transmission for $600 and then they would call me and let me know what damage needed to be repaired. I declined to pay $600 for a diagnostic.

Air Explorer
By Wolf's Den on 07/10/10 21:16 PM (PDT)

2006 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I brought this vehicle used and I must say im very happy. No problems yet and praying that I don't. Brought it with a 36K service contract and have been driving it like a jet. 80 mph on the highway. GREAT TRUCK!

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.