Used 2006 Ford Explorer Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Ford Explorer - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

The Achilles Heel of the 2006 explorer (Radiator & Transmission)
By sr_engineer42

2006 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased my 2006 explorer in 2007 with 19k miles... It looks sharp and performs very well in traffic and on the interstate. Has a sport car feel imo.. however, the radiator started to leak,, then stopped for some time (seems to leak more in the colder months, not at all in the summer months) this happed at about 100k miles. I have also replace both front (wheel hubs), and the CD player. you can purchase an aftermarket radiator on-line for about $125.. much cheaper than the ford one for about 500.. The other design flaw is the Transmission.. I noticed that now 3rd gear was very shaky.. in the shift... hense the tranny is going .. .. at that point I traded the Ford for a GMC.

tight handling, good accelleration and control on the interstate.. can get 25 MPG if you keep it under 65.. interior is stylish and sharp..

FORD should improve and recall the radiators, and beef up the tranny.. no excuse for these problems.. none! The CD 6 player,,, will also fail... CDs will get stuck and the unit will have to be replaced..

4 radiators
By cobra10181

2006 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

OK, I feel your pain. The problem with the 06-07 V6 Eddie Bauer edition is the lower brackets that the radiator sits in. They are 1/4 "to far forward, this puts the radiator in a bind. After thermal expansion and contraction the the welds in the core give up. This causes a ever so slight leak in the core. Hard to find at first , but eventually becomes much larger. You lose enough coolant to cause a over heating problem which is hard to detect because the coolant level is dropping ever so slightly. The temperature of the engine is rising at the same rate, along with the transmission, remember the trans is cooled through the same radiator. hot motor, hot trans lube breaks down.

elongate lower brackets get rad out of bind.

Unbelievable
By stobias

2006 Ford Explorer Limited 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

6 radiators Ladies and Gents. You read that correctly - 6 radiators. Averaging about 1 radiator for every 20K miles. I brought a 2006 Explorer for my 16 year old son in 2008 - only had 26K miles on it. We have replaced the radiator 6 times since purchase at $700 a pop. This vehicle is so unreliable that it now sits in my driveway, I can't trust it to be a reliable vehicle for my son, who is now 2 hours away at college. Huge mistake on my part for buying it, huge mistake on Ford's part for not recalling it. BTW, tranny jerks when you shift into reverse.

Makes a nice yard ornament.

Develop a permanent fix for this radiator and transmission problem. I can't believe the number of complaints!

I guess I am not alone
By danakay

2006 Ford Explorer Limited 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

I went online today to look at transmission costs for my 2006 Explorer and I found this review. I am sitting here feeling a little screwed over right now. I bought the car with less than 20.000 miles on it because I loved my old Expedition which had over 200,000 miles on it. I had no problems with it other than replacing a transmission around 160,000 to be expected. Now,with my Explorer I have had to buy a new radiator (under 100,000 miles), replace a transfer case (under 100,000 miles), and now my transmission is out(120,000). Sadly, these look like common problems. Sorry to say, this is my third Ford and my last one.

5 stars for me
By tempist1

2006 Ford Explorer XLS 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this explorer awhile ago and put a lot of miles on it. I have never had a problem with it at all. I always get the regular oil changes, brakes etc. I have had Chryslers and gm vehicles that are completely worthless but so far with all of the Ford products I have purchased, I have been very lucky. This Explorer is great for everything from handling to pulling. Maybe some of the others out there may have been a bad batch or something. So far so good. All 5 Fords that I have owned I have taken over 100,000 miles with no problems at all and I hope this explorer will be the same. I will write another review if it's not.

4 wheel drive with excellent turning radious.It's power. It's looks are very striking.

Include more 3rd row seating it more models. Work on better gas mileage.