Used 2006 Ford Explorer XLS SUV Consumer Reviews - 9 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Ford Explorer SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

Not the best midsized SUV but not the worst
By elliott

2006 Ford Explorer SUV XLS 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have owned my Ford for just under a year now and have had some problems I would like to warn people interested in buying the car. First at 3200 miles I had to have the trans reprogramed not to big of a deal but the trans should not be slipping at all especially at 3000 miles. Second the passenger door was making the squeeks the the domestics are know again. I emphasize at less than 5000 miles. Build quality is up to snuff with the imports. It a far better car than the one it replaced. The other enormous draw back is the resale. I own a 2006 and payed about 24000 and is now woth about eleven.

The amount of car for the money

Buy the v8. The 6speed transmission thats comes with it is much smoother

99 Durango was Better
By Tony

2006 Ford Explorer SUV XLS 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased basic XLS V6 model. Vehicle looks nice. It has been in the shop 3 times since March 06 purchase. Lumbar support driver seat broke twice, still not fixed right; rear driver side window inoperable, transmission will not shift out of park more than half of the time when brake pedal is depressed. Fuel economy no better than my former Durango V8 5.9 liter. Gas pedal is too small and foot slips off. I am stuck in this thing for several years; can not afford loss of value to sell now.

Exterior design.

Quality. Larger gas pedal, better transmission, stronger driver seat lumbar support, better mileage for a V6. Longer factory warranty 5 year 100,000 miles like 2007 GM.

Impressive and Inspired
By Ross Musick

2006 Ford Explorer SUV XLS 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Bought one of the last 2006's on the lot. Got $6,400 off sticker and 1.9% apr for 72 months. This car has impressed me more than any other vehicle I have owned. Thoughtful design, awesome powertrain, plush interior and it looks great in black! Traded in an '03 Mazda Tribute for this and got about the same payment, what a deal! The dealer also threw in a 7 year/70,000 mile bumper-to-bumper warranty and lifetime oil changes. Could not have been more pleased with the entire experience and the vehicle.

Exterior design: understated yet classy, great interior, and I LIKE the interior door pulls! Interior does not look like a base-model, hides the price quite well!

Wish running boards were standard - hate seeing the chassis under the truck. Oh well, should be easy to add aftermarket.

Always wanted one. Glad I have one.
By J. Cunha

2006 Ford Explorer SUV XLS 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Very happy with this 2006 Explorer, even for an XLS with Sport package, it's awesome. Great looking on the outside, beautiful on the inside, I just couldn't be happier.

Fuel gauge, miles to empty is a great feature.

I know it gives distinction, but chrome grille's should be a must for all models. If someone is reading this, how can I buy one for my XLS Sport?