Used 2006 Ford Explorer SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Ford Explorer - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

06 Explorer problems
By corgimom1

2006 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased my Explorer used from CarMax over 2 years ago. The clear coat is peeling around the front head lights. The parking brake handle (plastic) broke and the cost to fix is $400.00. Lucky for me, I have an extended warranty from CarMax. The driver's leather seat is cracking. The passenger seat has ripped on the seam. The rear seat holders are split on both ends. Due to ethanol in gas, miles per gallon are poor.

Favorite Features

My 2006 Explorer is very comfortable to ride in.

Suggested Improvements

I'm sure improvements have been made to Explorers by now.

You guessed it.... radiator issues
By ddau

2006 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Bought my 2006 XLT used in 2006 with 7K miles. Still have it and now have 87K. I replaced the radiator at 25K, 49K, and 69K. All were covered by factory or extended warranties. I live in CO and when I am up in the mountains going up hill with the car full of family, the transmission will literally shake the car when up shifting into 3rd or 4th gear. It's one of those problems you can't replicate for the dealership though. The driver's side stablizer link just broke and will be replacing this weekend. Outside of the radiator and stabilizer link, I have had no other problems with it.

Favorite Features

I like all of the safety features of the vehicle (traction control, rollover stability). XLT trim is ho-hum.

Suggested Improvements

The radiator is a joke and obviously I am not not the only one. When I saw one review about having it replaced 6 times, it made my car look fantastic. My extended warranty runs out at 108K miles, so you can plan on seeing my Explorer on Craiglist with 107K on the odometer. Unless I can get the extended warranty to pony up a new engine and transmission!

Buyer Beware
By grayquiksilver

2006 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Experienced many of the quality issues others are describing around the radiator and transmission. All under 75k and only 5 years old. Recently traded it in and do not regret it. Fun to drive but way too expensive to keep on the road long term.

2006 radiator/trans issues
By jrob120

2006 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I'm reluctant to write this review but after the heartache and expensive repairs...I'm compelled to share. I've been a proud fan of the Ford brand for years...and have even sold Ford/Lincoln/Mercury's for two years. With that confidence I purchased a 2006 4x4 Eddie Explorer. Since then I've replaced the radiator twice and now the trans is slipping in drive and reverse. The radiator continues to leak and now the trans drips slowly. There's no place to add trans fluid...must be done at an OEM shop. I can't continue to drive this vehicle. I have a teen driver and will not let her drive this truck for the sincere concern over her safety. Ford do the right thing and recall. Thanks!

Favorite Features

Exterior Look

Suggested Improvements

Recall the defective trans and radiator related issues. Slow dripping leaks from both.

Great SUV
By mj9011

2006 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

Im not sure why all these other people are claiming to have problems because I have never had a single problem! I have owned the car since new and now has 80,000 miles and still runs like new! I will probly have this SUV for a whole lot longer and when I eventually have to get a new car I will absolutely buy Ford again! If you think that cars will never have problems then you are not thinking right. EVERY car will need repairs in its lifetime. THere is no perfect car however I think this explorer is pretty close to perfect.