2006 Ford Explorer - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:
Unbelievable
By stobias on 10/25/11 16:50 PM (PDT)

2006 Ford Explorer Limited 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

6 radiators Ladies and Gents. You read that correctly - 6 radiators. Averaging about 1 radiator for every 20K miles. I brought a 2006 Explorer for my 16 year old son in 2008 - only had 26K miles on it. We have replaced the radiator 6 times since purchase at $700 a pop. This vehicle is so unreliable that it now sits in my driveway, I can't trust it to be a reliable vehicle for my son, who is now 2 hours away at college. Huge mistake on my part for buying it, huge mistake on Ford's part for not recalling it. BTW, tranny jerks when you shift into reverse.

I guess I am not alone
By danakay on 09/08/11 09:58 AM (PDT)

2006 Ford Explorer Limited 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

I went online today to look at transmission costs for my 2006 Explorer and I found this review. I am sitting here feeling a little screwed over right now. I bought the car with less than 20.000 miles on it because I loved my old Expedition which had over 200,000 miles on it. I had no problems with it other than replacing a transmission around 160,000 to be expected. Now,with my Explorer I have had to buy a new radiator (under 100,000 miles), replace a transfer case (under 100,000 miles), and now my transmission is out(120,000). Sadly, these look like common problems. Sorry to say, this is my third Ford and my last one.

5 stars for me
By tempist1 on 07/25/11 11:22 AM (PDT)

2006 Ford Explorer XLS 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this explorer awhile ago and put a lot of miles on it. I have never had a problem with it at all. I always get the regular oil changes, brakes etc. I have had Chryslers and gm vehicles that are completely worthless but so far with all of the Ford products I have purchased, I have been very lucky. This Explorer is great for everything from handling to pulling. Maybe some of the others out there may have been a bad batch or something. So far so good. All 5 Fords that I have owned I have taken over 100,000 miles with no problems at all and I hope this explorer will be the same. I will write another review if it's not.

Do Not Buy This Car!!!!!
By snooker84 on 06/14/11 16:16 PM (PDT)

2006 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Horrible car, Other reviews on here are extremely accurate, bad trannys, bad radiators, electricolosis, transfercase leaked after 40,000 miles, went thru 3 radiators, 2 transmistions, door handles breaking off every few months, overall, very baaaad vehicle..they look and drive well but i don't trust them :(

2006 traded for a 2004 Tahoe thats better
By chevylover229 on 04/02/11 12:19 PM (PDT)

2006 Ford Explorer XLS 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

we have 7 kids (4 at the time we bought it in(2006) it looked OK, were we ever wrong. The only good thing about it was it broke down under warranty(16,320 miles) it was used with 15,000 miles on it we barley owned it. every thing under the hood needed to be fixed, Everything. and ford wouldn't fix it. and it was under warranty.

Beautiful Car...Worthless!!
By samoanmadness on 03/19/11 06:09 AM (PDT)

2006 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

So, I find my soulmate...Sleek Black, sunroof, powered everything, leather seats, shiny rims, and a third row of seats for my family. Now, Im crying that I have to trade it in. After investing over $7,000 in repairs, I am Done. Here are the repairs -$2,500 For Complete Transmission Overhaul -$2,500 For Complete Cooling System Change (new radiator, water pump...ect) -$200.00 For Transfer Case Filter change -$400.00 Raplacement of Wheel Berring -$1,100 To Replace all Wheels with Guarentee Guess What? Now, There is a Random Misfire and no one knows how to fix it!! My guess....another $850.00 (including a new cat. converter) worth of repairs!! I am now officially giving up on Ford!!

Seized Engine due to Overheating WithOut any Warning
By tinman69 on 03/07/11 14:04 PM (PST)

2006 Ford Explorer XLS 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Our Explorer got warm once . Gauge shot from normal to 3/4 of the way up then went down, then shot almost to the red. I pulled over added water after waiting 45 minutes to cool engine (cool winter night) . There was no more overheating indicated & was driven a few more miles before the engine seized without Any indication of anything wrong . Dealer says piston is fused to block & will cost $ 5,100 for New ford engine, doesn't mention about the cause of the problem, most likely the Manufacturer Defective Radiator or the Head Gasket is to blame from my research on this Model/Year (06/07) of Ford. Transmission is sure to go out soon I fear

Worst Ford SUV
By bad2006ford on 02/26/11 09:31 AM (PST)

2006 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

In May 2006 I purchased a 2006 Ford Explorer brand new with only 56 miles. Two years into the owning the suv I had to replaced the tires with a new set. The sensor belt broke on one of the tires and the tire pressure light in the suv wouldn't go off. Then I began to experience problems with shift it was stuck in park as the recall letter describe the problems I had already experienced. Then my trans- mission went out. I paid to have the trans- mission replaced. Six months later the radiator and the motor went out. I contacted FORD, I towed my suv to the nearest dealer-ship where I left it for a year; because I refuse to pay for repairs and Ford refuse to take liability for my suv.

Bad radiator!
By Cosmoang on 12/03/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2006 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Loved it until last week at 60k miles it takes me forever to shift into reverse. Then once in reverse it feels like I was rear ended. Now it shifts hard while going down the hwy. A little ticked that Ford refuses to acknowledge the transmission issue the explorers are having. Guess that what I get for buying American!

Love this tank
By spidermann59 on 11/21/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2006 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

Loved it the moment I saw it. I love driving it anywhere, anytime. The v8 is the way to go with the towing package, you can haul anything. Bought the Eddie Bauer with the all the goodies and I drive it with the sun roof open and the stereo blasting with 292 hp available she is the bomb. When my wife lets me drive it.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.