Used 2006 Ford Explorer SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Ford Explorer - Consumer Reviews

2006 Ford Explorer SUV

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

Next best to a GL 450 merc
By john pearson

2006 Ford Explorer SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

We have driven #xplorers for 10 years and 5 models. The combination of a frame for trailering, the independent suspension, roomy, quick V8, three row seating fit the niche. Smallest SUV that can accompish the tasks of a bigger SUV. The mileage is 15/20. The handling/ride has improved. We did crack the stability control cog on the axle by hitting a curb. Seemed strange since the wheel was fine but the axle cog broke. Had the tranny fixed. Same issue as everyone else but a quick resolution. The engine was reflashed for better response (nice improvement) and the belt assembly replaced to fix a high rpm shift squeek. Overall if you want a refined and real SUV that is not too big this is it

Favorite Features

The combination of features offered in larger SUV's. Three seats, trailer rating, with the refinement of an independent suspension, comfortable leather seats, killer entertainment systems, the the Mustang motor, the new tranny for its efficiency and towing.

Suggested Improvements

Quicker responding tranny for spirited driving, ability to more easily change fuel requirements, Octane for trailering, tow mode. You can certainly live with any other issue that I can't remember

Japanese SUV's are a better buy
By Jack

2006 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Very underpowered with the V6 engine. Can barely keep up with traffic and must drive in the right lane w/ a/c on as it kills the engine power. Interior quality is poor. All four of my door arm rests are chipping and peeling and the dealer claims this is normal. I'm going to do take Ford up on their advice and swap my ride for a Toyota 4Runner. I've already test driven it twice and there is no comparison. This family will never again buy Ford.

Favorite Features

Smooth ride.

Suggested Improvements

More storage room in the front center console. Ford could learn from Toyota and the Jeep GC. Get with today's technology and put the key and fob together!

Max the Explorer
By ARod

2006 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

After having small all my life and be involve in a scary accident, I decided own a bigger car for safety reasons. I research thru this website and the people reviews helped me to decide for a Ford. I do not regret a bit. This truck is awesome, and I am getting a good mileage on it (around 19 mpg). I think that from now on I will be buying big American trucks. Also my experience with Ford, in service related issues, is been great. No comlaints.

Favorite Features

Stability, interior, satellie radio, everything! No complaints. About the door handle, is not a problem for me.

Suggested Improvements

Nothing came to my mind.

My fourth Explorer
By Billy B.

2006 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I am very pleased with this vehicle. I found a way to increase my gas mileage. First slow down, second coast on major hills and the third is don't race up to a stop sign and then brake. When ever you see a potential stop coming just roll up to it. I used to get 14 MPH (locally) now I'm up to 17.5 MPH by changing my driving habits. It jumps to over 20 MPH on highway trips.

Favorite Features

Third row seating, side/rear airbags, rear climate control and DVD system. The kids are safe, occupied and separated in the back seats. Keyless entry.

Not the best midsized SUV but not the worst
By elliott

2006 Ford Explorer SUV XLS 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have owned my Ford for just under a year now and have had some problems I would like to warn people interested in buying the car. First at 3200 miles I had to have the trans reprogramed not to big of a deal but the trans should not be slipping at all especially at 3000 miles. Second the passenger door was making the squeeks the the domestics are know again. I emphasize at less than 5000 miles. Build quality is up to snuff with the imports. It a far better car than the one it replaced. The other enormous draw back is the resale. I own a 2006 and payed about 24000 and is now woth about eleven.

Favorite Features

The amount of car for the money

Suggested Improvements

Buy the v8. The 6speed transmission thats comes with it is much smoother