Used 2006 Ford Explorer SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Ford Explorer - Consumer Reviews

2006 Ford Explorer SUV

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

Most Helpful|
Waste of money
By afk

2006 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

I think this vehicle sums up why Amrican auto industry is going down. I have 2008 BMW 335i convertible. I bought this Explorer for cold/snowy winter days. What a mistake! Interior is nothing but dollar store hard plastic which starts peeling after a while. Handling is a nigthmare. Original tires are a joke. This type of handling from $38000 vehicle is unacceptable. After I replaced the tires with Michelins and added 1 inch wheel spacers to front and rear, handling got little better. But nothing drives me more crazy than the wind noise at highway speeds. Once you are over 70mph, it is impossible to have normal conversation. New tires eliminated the road noise but wind noise is redicilious

Favorite Features

Cargo space

Suggested Improvements

Road noise, wind noise, better tires, better handling, better breaking, more power. I have v8 and can't imagine driving v6. I recently drove Honda Pilot and the difference is day and nite. Don't waste your money on this vehicle, buy Pilot. Pilot has much better resale value.

Graetly Disappointed in FORD
By RYTYJAY

2006 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased the truck brand new, I brought the truck in for Recall (shift Plate) very difficult to shift, I told them I was having a hard shift jolt when putting it in reverse like being rearended. They told me they couldn't find the problem, they put in a new PCM. (new computer) after the new PCM they stated there still was no answers for the transmission problem. I asked if it had anything to do with the recall they said no! I didn't understand how they could say that if they didn't know what the problem was? anyway they asked if they could pull the transmission for $600 and then they would call me and let me know what damage needed to be repaired. I declined to pay $600 for a diagnostic.

Suggested Improvements

If you see a pattern do the recall! Take responsibility. You have no problem taking our money!

5 stars for me
By tempist1

2006 Ford Explorer SUV XLS 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this explorer awhile ago and put a lot of miles on it. I have never had a problem with it at all. I always get the regular oil changes, brakes etc. I have had Chryslers and gm vehicles that are completely worthless but so far with all of the Ford products I have purchased, I have been very lucky. This Explorer is great for everything from handling to pulling. Maybe some of the others out there may have been a bad batch or something. So far so good. All 5 Fords that I have owned I have taken over 100,000 miles with no problems at all and I hope this explorer will be the same. I will write another review if it's not.

Favorite Features

4 wheel drive with excellent turning radious.It's power. It's looks are very striking.

Suggested Improvements

Include more 3rd row seating it more models. Work on better gas mileage.

You guessed it.... radiator issues
By ddau

2006 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Bought my 2006 XLT used in 2006 with 7K miles. Still have it and now have 87K. I replaced the radiator at 25K, 49K, and 69K. All were covered by factory or extended warranties. I live in CO and when I am up in the mountains going up hill with the car full of family, the transmission will literally shake the car when up shifting into 3rd or 4th gear. It's one of those problems you can't replicate for the dealership though. The driver's side stablizer link just broke and will be replacing this weekend. Outside of the radiator and stabilizer link, I have had no other problems with it.

Favorite Features

I like all of the safety features of the vehicle (traction control, rollover stability). XLT trim is ho-hum.

Suggested Improvements

The radiator is a joke and obviously I am not not the only one. When I saw one review about having it replaced 6 times, it made my car look fantastic. My extended warranty runs out at 108K miles, so you can plan on seeing my Explorer on Craiglist with 107K on the odometer. Unless I can get the extended warranty to pony up a new engine and transmission!

Transmission beyond hope
By fdfinance

2006 Ford Explorer SUV XLS 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought the Explorer new and had a thermostat failure that blew coolant all over the engine warping engine parts resulting in $2500 repair. At 70,000 miles started having transmission issues starting with slipping and high revs between gears. Transmission locked up and was replaced. Since then the same slipping issues has caused multiple returns to the shop without resolution. My wife and I like the Explorer design but the engine / transmissions issues make it a nightmare that I would not wish on anyone. This is my last Ford.

Suggested Improvements

Engine / transmission redesign