Used 2006 Ford Explorer Consumer Reviews - 182 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Ford Explorer - Consumer Reviews

2006 Ford Explorer

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

Ford needs to Wake up!
By DickandJane

2006 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is the worst Ford I have ever owned. 27000 miles and numerous problems. The radiator is leaking and they will now have to replace it. The chrome grill is bubbling, and Ford dealer says its not covered on warranty. (HMMM! Defective part not covered) There was an obnoxious vibration (Rattle) in the steering wheel. The dealer said there was an advisory out on that. They must replace the lower steering rod. The other things I dislike: The gas mileage sucks. I should have kept my 2005 v8 4wd F150. My F150 got about the same MPG and had way more power than this hunk of crap. There is no heated mirrors! Every car has them now. No XM radio. Get with the times already. All in all don't buy a Ford

none

Throw the towel in!!! Ford needs to back there product. No wonder why people buy foreign.. I have a 1996 Toyota Corolla with 130K and it hasn't had any problems (Knock on wood)

Last Explorer for me
By Aaron

2006 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is the fourth Ford Explorer we have owned. It is by far the worst!!! Extremely poor fuel economy. 7-9mpg in winter, and maybe 13mpg in the summer. Dealership, cant seem to figure the problem out, and isn't fixed yet. Also, don't ever get rear ended, because there isn't much of a bumper. Its all plastic. I don't like the RSC system either. I don't like the fact you cant over-ride the system when needed. It leaves you completely handi-capped in the deep snow. The vehicle is a little sluggish on the take off.

Nice riding compared to older Explorers. I like the additional cupholders, and the optional 3rd row seat. I like the instrument cluster, and think the vehicle is comfortable. I really like the interior.

Better fuel economy!! Put the fuel door on passenger side. Needs bigger side mirrors. Put a real bumper on the thing, and bolt the receiver hitch to the frame, instead of welding it.

Decent Vehicle - Lousy Interior
By Thomas Judge

2006 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This was our 8th consecutive Ford vehicle, and will probably be our last. Overall, this SUV had the potential to be a great vehicle, but an awful interior design and numerous quality issues ruined it. The 4.0L engine and 5-speed trans are terrific. Body style, ride, handling, etc. all very good. Excellent for moderate towing - we towed a boat and dual snowmobile trailer. The interior is awful. Poor hiproom, inaccessible parking brake release, stupid/awkward door pulls. Experienced following failures: broken lumabar mechanism, 4wd motor failed, PB release failed, engine failed to start, shift lever locked in park. Ford botched an otherwise decent vehicle.

Engine performance, towing capability, quite cabin, decent ride.

Ditch the entire interior and start over. Re-design doors/console to allow some hiproom. Move Parking Brake release within reach of the driver. Replace the seat surface cloth with something that doesn't soak stains like a sponge, and that can actually be cleaned.

Change of Heart
By Mini Van Mom

2006 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I had been shopping around for my long awaited chance to trade our tired mini van. The 2006 Ford Explorer was too nice to pass up. Just after a few months, it has to go. Even with our NE Winters - it is just too much truck for me. I keep reading about the transmission - does that explain why is has rolled on my 3 times! When I park this big truck, it needs to stay in the same place. And yes, the mileage is the pits.

Paint and trim - very sharp. Lots of room in the back for storage.

Rolls when in park. Gas mileage

Great truck, very solid
By ryan r

2006 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I am a route salesman and I drive at least 28,000 miles a year.. I bought my Explorer in 2006 with 28k on it and just rolled over to 89k. The only problem I had was the back window stopped working but was fixed under warranty. I have driven through the Rockies in the snow, North Dakota, through mud, -30 temperatures and this Explorer has always got me home. Nealy 90k and perfect. My last Explorer in 98 gave me 260k. Just keep it serviced.

Good reliable 4.0 V6. moderate gas mileage. About 14.5 in town and 19-21 on highway. I drive hard though.. i have deadlines and need to meet themm, good stereo, comfortable seats, good michelin tires from factory.. 4WD woorks pretty well..