Used 2006 Ford Explorer Consumer Reviews - 182 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Ford Explorer - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

Hate the 2006 Explorer
By Connie

2006 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought a used 2006 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer in March 2008. I have had it at the dealership five times. I've had the shifter replaced and the whole fan assembly for the heat and air. I have had an ongoing problem with a loud noise coming from under the dash when I first take off. Overheard the mechanic telling the service guy that its a vacuum problem and its because of the design. Now it won't start, the road slippery light comes on and stays on even when driving on dry pavement. It also shifts hard and jerks when taking off. This is my third Explorer. I will NEVER buy one again.

Interior is nice

Recall all these vehicles or fix the problem.

Handsome SUV
By Roddy

2006 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my Explorer with 18K miles on it. It is 4x4, Eddie Bauer edition and the v-6. I was sold on it the minute I sat in it. Great interior, very comfortable and well laid out. I'm not crazy about the speedometer and tach layout. They sometimes seem to be in a hole, but a minor issue. It rides and drives great and will get 21 mpg or so on the highway. City is about 16. Great factory stereo, great A/C, rides like a Lincoln.

Keyless entry on the driver side door is very handy; rear a/c vents; 4-wheel discs, antilock; anti-skid, leather interior, great color combination; Lights under the mirrors on the doors; heavy thunk when shutting the doors means it is built well.

Very few because it is overall a great vehicle; however, I would redesign the interior arm rests and the layout of the gauges. The center stack with the stereo and A/C controls is nice as is.

Very Good Explorer
By Ben

2006 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Purchased from a dealership last year, and so far no problems, other than a tire sensor indication. This SUV drives like a dream. No sudden jerking as far as acceleration; very smooth ride. I like the fact that it's equipped with a 5-speed automatic transmission, and a middle console transmission gear shift, a very first for the explorer family. Gas mileage is really good for a normal SUV's; I drove up to 25 mpg with a 65- 70 mph speed. Very nice interior! A/C system is really good front and back. Has great exterior lighting, especially the front headlights and fog lights. Definintely recommend the explorer to anyone who desires a SUV. As long as you treat it well, it'll drive well.

5-speed transmission, V6 4.0L engine, very good suspension, nice indication system (all digital instead of analog), nice looking interior, outstanding turning radius.

Make running boards standard. Tire sensors need improvement or not have them equipped at all.

I give!
By Daisee86

2006 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

So sad. I dreamed of this car for 7 years while I drove beat up car waiting to afford this one. Now I have had every trouble listed on all the complaint websites - back driver window won't roll down (fixed 3 times), stick shift stuck (had to be replaced), radiator leaking (has to be replaced), Transmission problem (not yet diagnosed). At least it is all covered under warranty but what a pain to have to keep taking it in. I am so upside down, I can't trade it. I am likley never to buy a Ford again and I have driven them all my life. No more.

Drives smooth - when it does actually drive.

Everything!

Built to last
By Rick

2006 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV 4WD (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

I bought my truck new in 2006, needing a 4wd family vehicle (traded my '94 Cobra for it). The only problem I've had is my manual lumbar support breaking twice. The transmission problem everyone is talking about is solved with a simple trip to the dealer to get the transmission reprogrammed. Problem fixed!!! It gets about 14.5 mpg in the city and 21.9 on the hwy at hwy speeds. if you drive aggressively though, expect it to be worse. We've driven across the country and it's very comprortable for me and my family. The V8 is powerful enough to haul a trailer and get into traffic with ease, and sits at 2k rpm on the hwy. Have a light foot in the city and get respective mpg there too.

Foldable 2/3 row seats (leave headrests down for better visability). powerful engine. could use an after market mp3 player input jack though (offered on 07 models). Good highway mpg for a V8 SUV. Good accelleration. Quiet inside the vehicle on the highway. Quiet engine noise

Aside from the lumbar support, not much to complain about. City driving with a heavy SUV is going to yield lower mpg, but that's what you get with a V8. Maybe add a cylinder management/shut off system for hwy use to get better hwy mpg.