2006 Ford Explorer - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:
Love This New 2006 Explorer
By DMR's 2006 Explorer on 01/25/06 16:11 PM (PST)

2006 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

I had a 2004 Explorer (V8) which I liked a lot. Power, comfort and reliability. But the new 2006 is even better. New v8 engine is terrific! Much improved interior, very quiet. Handling is excellent and fuel economy is better than the 2004 (new V8 engine). Perfect vehicle used for hunting, fishing, huge cargo room, as well as using for business and clients. Two vehicles in one - perfect for my lifestyle! Like having a truck and a luxury car.

Blind Spots
By S. Jonsson on 01/25/06 13:20 PM (PST)

2006 Ford Explorer Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

Nice smooth ride compared to the 2000 Explorer Eddie Bauer I traded off. This is my third Explorer and they keep getting better.Very sharp body style. Interior dash is laid out nice. Interior door handle is in a awkward spot to get at. The upgraded 18" wheels look sharp but the chrome painted caps are cheap.

Great so far, but
By old grunt on 01/21/06 21:38 PM (PST)

2006 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

A great SUV, best of the three Explorers I've owned. The one flaw I've found in the short time that I've owned it is the placement of the fuel gauge. It's pretty well hidden in the lower left side of the instrumentation group. Pretty difficult to see in the lower recesses of the tach.

Best Explorer Yet
By Guy Boulange on 01/20/06 22:11 PM (PST)

2006 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I previously owned a 1997 Eddie Bauer. The 2006 is far superior in all aspects. The ride is smoother, and the new suspension reduces the roll and bounce effect. The 17" tires provide great traction in my Western NY region in the snow.

VERY EXCITED ABOUT OUR '06
By Everett on 01/19/06 20:25 PM (PST)

2006 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

We drove a 1998 Eddie Bauer for 8 years and liked it. When the 2006 came out, we were first interested because of the improved safety features. After test driving it we found much else to like about the redesigned 2006. It is very quiet and the ride is very smooth. Our '06 Eddie Bauer has a long list of great features that we are enjoying more and more the longer we have it. The more we use it, the more convinced we are that we have made the right decision in buying this vehicle. While the gas mileage leaves something to be desired -- but what decent sized SUV doesn't -- everything else about the '06 is very satisfying to us. We would recommend it to anyone thinking about an SUV.

2006 Explorer Limited
By Rob on 01/18/06 22:51 PM (PST)

2006 Ford Explorer Limited 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

I love this car so much I don't even mind driving to work. Ford has hit a home run. Rugged good looks, very nice and functional interior, quiet as a luxury car, solid road feel, increased power from V8. I also like the fact truck is about six inches taller than previous model, allowing for better visibility. Still, nothing is perfect. Inside door handles have to relocated. What were they thinking? Have only owned the car 2 weeks, but only getting 14mph. Overall I would say the 2006 model is one of the best SUVs around and a very good value.

I'm VERY satisfied
By Lance V on 01/16/06 06:14 AM (PST)

2006 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

I owned a 2000 Explorer and I expected the 2006 to be somewhat similar but I was wrong. The 2006 is light years ahead. This vehicle has all the comfort you could ask for with more power than you can imagine.

My 2006 Explorer is a lemon
By roknhrse on 01/05/06 11:41 AM (PST)

2006 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

My new 2006 Ford Explorer XLT is a huge lemon. I have a problem with the steering shaft and have no power steering and Ford is not prepared to repair until some time in the 1st quarter of 2006. They are working on it in engineering. They say it is safe to drive. I am in the process of filing with the Better Business Bureau per Ford's recommendation because they refuse to do any repair to the vehicle. Ford claims it is an inherent problem in some 2006 Explorers and Mercury Mountaineers.

Amazing Truck
By chrisava7 on 01/02/06 19:12 PM (PST)

2006 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Coming out of a '99 Explorer XLT and going into a '06 Explorer XLT I was worried. I was unhappy with my older one and the ride stunk. The is one amazing truck though I feel like I am driving a car. You can not tell how fast you are going. You can catch yourself doing 80 quickly. The interior has everything right in reach and the material is high end. The door handles are a really big thing when someone gets into it. It took me about a day to get used to it and now I love them. Also, the stick shift on the floor is so much better you have something to rest your hand on!

2006 Explorer -- reinvention and perfection
By Jon on 12/29/05 11:27 AM (PST)

2006 Ford Explorer Limited 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

Smooth running 3V V8 has very long legs, with an endless flow of seamless power. Smooth acceleration and braking. Interior quality on par with the F150 though the door panels could be designed a little better as the handles are hard to reach when opening the door. Very impressed with the overall quality of the interior though it does not compare with say, a BMW M5. The ride is very compliant, much better than previous years and the chassis seems much stiffer and quieter. It seems remarkably nimble for such a large vehicle, making it very easy to drive. The 2006 Explorer is head and shoulders above previous model years. It is the best Explorer yet, and is nearly perfect.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.