2006 Ford Explorer SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:
New and much improved
By TB on 03/03/06 06:46 AM (PST)

2006 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

We LOVE our new Explorer! It's solid, very quiet, and very versatile which is good when you have 2 small boys. Power from the V6 is good, not excellent, and we have no problems traversing the long steep hills of Western PA. It's no sports car but it does handle very well for its size and even seems to handle better than the Escape it replaced. The thing I can't get over is how quiet it is inside and what a great highway cruiser it is. It's almost limo-like! The DVD system has a few too many buttons but once you learn them you realize that they are there for added convenience. Overall the '06 Explorer isn't great at any one thing but it is very good at everything.

my T-bird for a Eddie Bauer
By LOUISE on 03/01/06 18:49 PM (PST)

2006 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

I had a 2002 T-bird, loved it but wanted something new. I drove one other SUV, then I drove the Eddie Bauer. Loved it from the moment I saw the color, opened the door and it was beautiful; that was all it took. I have had it a week and I love it do not miss the T-bird thought I might. I would recommend this SUV to anyone.

Ford Explorer
By Edwin on 02/28/06 11:53 AM (PST)

2006 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is one amazing truck though I feel like I am driving a car. You can not tell how fast you are going. You can catch yourself doing 75 quickly. The interior has everything right in reach and the material is high quality. The door handles are a really big thing when someone gets into it. It took me about a day to get used to it and now I love them. Also, the stick shift on the floor is nice.

Nice drive
By Edwin Morales on 02/28/06 11:43 AM (PST)

2006 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

The ride, road noise, and stability seem to be much improved. Beautiful interior with DVD package. Third row seats is a nice convenience. Shift in the console is a nice feature. Everything is very easy to reach. Quiet ride. Overall is a nice ride.

Always wanted one. Glad I have one.
By J. Cunha on 02/28/06 06:51 AM (PST)

2006 Ford Explorer SUV XLS 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Very happy with this 2006 Explorer, even for an XLS with Sport package, it's awesome. Great looking on the outside, beautiful on the inside, I just couldn't be happier.

A Step Backward
By katz_n_jamer on 02/25/06 19:23 PM (PST)

2006 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Having owned a 2004 Explorer, the 2006 changes proved to be a step backward. Changes to the interior door handles are not intuitive, the dash is busy, I've counted as many as 20 separate plastic pieces. The change in the tailgate from the split tailgate to the liftglass makes it much more difficult to load anything without opening the entire tailgate. The movement of the shift lever from the column to the floor eliminated a lot of storage space. The gas mileage on my 4.0L 2004 consistently ran 20 - 21 mpg in highway driving. So far the 2006 is giving me 17 - 17.5. I hope this improves with added mileage. All in all a disappointment.

Black Beauty
By Tony on 02/09/06 10:36 AM (PST)

2006 Ford Explorer SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

This is my 5th Explorer and so far I'm loving this one. It handles great; the power is awesome in comparison to my last LTD, which was also an V8. Needs to improve gas mileage.

Best SUV Ever
By ockerman11 on 02/04/06 10:06 AM (PST)

2006 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I work for Ford and I drive a Ford. I really love this SUV. Traded in an Escape, which I loved as well. The interior is wonderful. Doesn't get good gas mileage but then what can you expect with a large SUV. It handles great, has many options. The car handles well, has sufficient power. The stereo system could be a lot better. The DVD is great. I really like the seats that fold down automatically. Not enough room in the back for cargo when all the seats are up.

The SUV you can count on
By John on 01/31/06 11:36 AM (PST)

2006 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

This is my 6th SUV, all Fords. I continue to buy them because they perform very well and continue to do so. I'm a big man, so driving comfort and room are big factors. I've driven other SUV's but none drive like and have the comfort of my Explorer XLT.

Love That New Eddie Bauer
By Robert on 01/26/06 13:26 PM (PST)

2006 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

The ride & handling are significantly improved from my 2003 Eddie Bauer. The ride is smoother & more quiet than the 2003. The vehicle feels glued to the road like a sports car. The interior (suede seat inserts) looks nicer & feels more comfortable. Seats feel more like a previously owned Volvo. The floor mounted shifter provides a much sportier look & feel than the previous column mount. Power is not overwhelming (doesn't feel like my 2005 Mustang GT with the same basic engine), but it is smooth. A great highway cruiser with 20mpg on the open road. SUV buyers should take a good look at this great truck.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.