Used 2006 Ford Explorer SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Ford Explorer - Consumer Reviews

2006 Ford Explorer SUV

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

I give!
By Daisee86

2006 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

So sad. I dreamed of this car for 7 years while I drove beat up car waiting to afford this one. Now I have had every trouble listed on all the complaint websites - back driver window won't roll down (fixed 3 times), stick shift stuck (had to be replaced), radiator leaking (has to be replaced), Transmission problem (not yet diagnosed). At least it is all covered under warranty but what a pain to have to keep taking it in. I am so upside down, I can't trade it. I am likley never to buy a Ford again and I have driven them all my life. No more.

Favorite Features

Drives smooth - when it does actually drive.

Suggested Improvements

Everything!

Built to last
By Rick

2006 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

I bought my truck new in 2006, needing a 4wd family vehicle (traded my '94 Cobra for it). The only problem I've had is my manual lumbar support breaking twice. The transmission problem everyone is talking about is solved with a simple trip to the dealer to get the transmission reprogrammed. Problem fixed!!! It gets about 14.5 mpg in the city and 21.9 on the hwy at hwy speeds. if you drive aggressively though, expect it to be worse. We've driven across the country and it's very comprortable for me and my family. The V8 is powerful enough to haul a trailer and get into traffic with ease, and sits at 2k rpm on the hwy. Have a light foot in the city and get respective mpg there too.

Favorite Features

Foldable 2/3 row seats (leave headrests down for better visability). powerful engine. could use an after market mp3 player input jack though (offered on 07 models). Good highway mpg for a V8 SUV. Good accelleration. Quiet inside the vehicle on the highway. Quiet engine noise

Suggested Improvements

Aside from the lumbar support, not much to complain about. City driving with a heavy SUV is going to yield lower mpg, but that's what you get with a V8. Maybe add a cylinder management/shut off system for hwy use to get better hwy mpg.

Good, but could be better
By lagonzal

2006 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought it used with 59963 miles on the odo for $16500. No problems so far. Replaces an 07 4Runner which was totalled in a crash. I didn't feel like spending another 30 grand on a 4Runner so I went with the cheaper Ford. This is my weekend vehicle. Mon thru Fri I use my much more economical Camry. Didn't realize it was a 4x4 til I took it home and saw the buttons on the dash, neither did the salesman, oh well. Overall, a decent family vehicle which fits nicely in my garage, but the 4Runner was lighter and got better gas mileage and overall felt a tad more refined.

Favorite Features

Great turning radius, love the fold flat seats which come in handy for extra passengers, smooth and quiet ride, uncluttered dash layout with simple controls.

Suggested Improvements

Base v6 needs an overhaul to better compete with rivals. Running boards feel flimsy and should be improved. Why no crossbars on roof rack?

Nice Style - Poor Quality
By Bill

2006 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

Get the V-8. I get 20 mpg on a trip at 65. Nice looking truck but poor Ford quality - I've had it 4 mos with 2 major breakdowns. No problems with the transmission. The dealer was great and I'm glad I got the extended warranty. The 18' chrome rims look great. I've previously had Pilots - not as nice looking but far more reliable. I am impressed with the ride and how quiet it is at highway speeds.

Favorite Features

V-8. Plenty of performance with reasonable gas mileage. 18' Chrome rims. Style. Safety features. Reclining rear seats. Third seat option is very spacious. Very comfortable interior. High depreciation made a great used car buy!

Suggested Improvements

Better mechanical quality. Blind spots with rear headrests (especially third row). Redesign rear cupholders currently on center console - I'm always bumping my daughters drinks on the floor. Sliding rear seat.

Explorer XLT 06 diappointment
By Ford Explorer XLT

2006 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I loved my Explorer at first. The drive is nice & smooth. I am 5' 2" and the driver's seat was an excellent fit for me one of the reasons I bought it. The color was a great match to the inside interior color. Do not like where the front hood release hard to see the lever and the parking brake the same way. Since I bought it I have had it towed back to dealer and in the dealership at least 7 times (bought Oct.06)

Favorite Features

The way it drives is nice, steering is pretty good. Like how paint outside matched inside interior. I am a women and cup holders not big concern. The side air bags were very important.The electric seat was big deal I am short. I can see with the way I was able to manuver the it. Rear wiper.

Suggested Improvements

Running boards standard.