Used 2006 Ford Explorer Consumer Reviews - 182 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Ford Explorer - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

Waste of money
By afk

2006 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

I think this vehicle sums up why Amrican auto industry is going down. I have 2008 BMW 335i convertible. I bought this Explorer for cold/snowy winter days. What a mistake! Interior is nothing but dollar store hard plastic which starts peeling after a while. Handling is a nigthmare. Original tires are a joke. This type of handling from $38000 vehicle is unacceptable. After I replaced the tires with Michelins and added 1 inch wheel spacers to front and rear, handling got little better. But nothing drives me more crazy than the wind noise at highway speeds. Once you are over 70mph, it is impossible to have normal conversation. New tires eliminated the road noise but wind noise is redicilious

Cargo space

Road noise, wind noise, better tires, better handling, better breaking, more power. I have v8 and can't imagine driving v6. I recently drove Honda Pilot and the difference is day and nite. Don't waste your money on this vehicle, buy Pilot. Pilot has much better resale value.

Great family vehicle!
By Papa

2006 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this truck at just under 19,000 miles in April 2008. We had upgraded from a Toyota Corolla because our family was growing. We love everything about this truck! It's stylish, roomy (7 passengers), handles extremely well (Overdrive kicks in great when needed). Everyone has nothing but good things to say about it. It's perfect for my family of 5 with lots of room for baby's XL stroller and the kids' bags. I hope the next few years are good to me since this is my first major vehicle purchase. So far so good!

Rugged, powerful, reliable, comfortable, looks great. DVD system, awesome speakers.

Handle on interior of door takes getting used to. Should be higher up.

A great vehicle for what it is
By Jim C

2006 Ford Explorer Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I sought out this vehicle mainly because reading about all of the problems with the V8/6spd auto combo problems. I bought this for my wife and I drive a BMW 3-series. If you need a utility that is a little of everything, this is your vehicle. I read reviews criticizing this vehicle because it is no hot rod. It is a box on wheels! The acceleration with the V6 is more than adequate, unless you are towing (which will do not). The limited trim as all the goodies and a ton of cargo space. The main reason we bought this vehicle is that it has adjustable pedals, adjustable seat belts, a tilt wheel and power seat, which is wonderful for my wife who is 5 feet tall. This vehicle is terrific!

Great vehicle for those who are vertically challenged, tons of ajustability. 5 star safety, RSC give piece of mind. Perfect size not to be overwhelming to drive but have space to transport items. Good looking but not showy, very easy to use interior controls, can get fixed anywhere, if needed.

Get rid of the chrome wheels, I am not a rap star and do not need to look like a rap star. Interior door handles are awkward, but I know their placement was due to crash safety changes. Too many hard plastics in interior (doors, console, glove compartment). Would like tilting rear seats.

So Far So Good
By Rokgod1

2006 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV 4WD (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

Had issues right after I drove it off the lot, but the dealer fixed everything. No problems since, other than a rear window not operating. That's minor to me. I can't believe a closeable outside air vent is an upgrade on a $35k + vehicle. Didn't know that nugget until after I bought the car. I have asthma and love other cars' exhaust and pollen streaming into the car at all times. As a result of outside air at all times, the defroster, heating, and AC take more time to get up/down to temperature. Front defrosters are horrible. External audio/video inputs in the ceiling mount DVD is annoying, especially with cables dangling.

Comfortable seats, plenty of cargo room, nice stereo system, rear window opens for cargo, etc., ability to listen to steeo during DVD play, wireless headphones, abilty to go out with 2 other couples in one car!

Low fuel indicator comes on at 50 miles to go and keeps coming on every 2-5 miles thereafter. Annoying, especially since it overrides the other displays. It should stop once you scroll past it. Add closeable air vents to all HVAC systems! Move center seat cup holders- I bang into drinks often.

Why am I driving a Ford?
By T in Miami

2006 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Honeymoon period was over too quickly. Although I love driving it--great pick- up at start up and highway--the problems soon began. Electrical malfunctions: Windows, power seats get stuck when adjusting, a/c sometimes dose not turn on, etc. But the worst-- the transmission. The transmission rises to 2 revolutions and revs there all by itself. It gets stuck in 2nd, and I often (more often lately)have to pull over. Car also turned off (at 25 mph) while driving and all functions were stuck--very scarey when steering and brakes don't work! Technicians finally reparied after three weeks-- say it can happen with any car. I don't buy that.

Pretty to look at, nice to drive, auto lights, spacious.

Third row too tight, interior door handles chip easily, transmission chronically ill.