Used 2006 Ford Explorer Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Ford Explorer - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

Great So Far
By xploder06

2006 Ford Explorer Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

I have had this vehicle going on almost 3 years and love it! First, the negatives. The first year I owned it I had the 4WD motor and shifter replaced. During the second year, I experienced the common "clunk" when starting from rest or moving slowly then pressing on the gas. Initially, dealer replaced faulty transmission part and re-flashed computer. Computer had to be re-flashed again recently to totally fix the problem. All covered under warranty. Now the positives. The cabin is ultra quiet when driving highway speeds of 65 mph or more. Lots of cargo space, decent performance, and very comfortable seats on long trips. Best mid-sized SUV out there IMO!

Stereo (love the feature that automatically reduces volume when speed is reduced), dual climate control, rear backup sensor, comfort, quiet cabin.

Nav. system isn't the easiest to learn. Could use a few more storage compartments up front.

Please buy it back
By exploder

2006 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV 4WD (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

Short list of problems on the day of delivery lenses were full of water radio did not work in the past two years air con quit seat quit working right rear half shaft broke.Rear door filed with water,complete new muffler system,rear lense filled with water,rear sensing system failed door closed sensor as failed wiper motor drowns out radio.Passenger seat air sensor failed .Battery dead after two years Transmission continues to bang but they tell me this is normal.I have ask my dealer service dept to work some magic and turn it into a toyota i could go on and on but I would not want to put anyone of buying one LOL

STOP BUILDING THEM

Won't buy another Ford
By B

2006 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

We are a Ford family...have 4 of them. My next vehicle will not be a Ford. I have had nothing but one problem after another with my Explorer from day one it seems. Blinkers and tail lights have gone out repeatedly and had to be replaced, dealership would have done it at no charge if I wanted to leave it all day to have a bulb replaced. Gear shift locks up, take it in and they aren't sure how to fix it even though it's a known issue with Explorers. Now my radiator is leaking. Glad it's under warranty, thinking I ought to just trade it in before that changes or it will cost me a fortune.

Looks nice, roomy enough for what we've needed.

Go over it with a fine tooth comb and fix all the kinks. Why can't you fix a known issue unless it happens while the mechanic is looking at it right at that time? If it's known to be sporadic then what are the odds of it happening right then? Figure out the issue and be able to fix it on all.

Waste of money
By afk

2006 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

I think this vehicle sums up why Amrican auto industry is going down. I have 2008 BMW 335i convertible. I bought this Explorer for cold/snowy winter days. What a mistake! Interior is nothing but dollar store hard plastic which starts peeling after a while. Handling is a nigthmare. Original tires are a joke. This type of handling from $38000 vehicle is unacceptable. After I replaced the tires with Michelins and added 1 inch wheel spacers to front and rear, handling got little better. But nothing drives me more crazy than the wind noise at highway speeds. Once you are over 70mph, it is impossible to have normal conversation. New tires eliminated the road noise but wind noise is redicilious

Cargo space

Road noise, wind noise, better tires, better handling, better breaking, more power. I have v8 and can't imagine driving v6. I recently drove Honda Pilot and the difference is day and nite. Don't waste your money on this vehicle, buy Pilot. Pilot has much better resale value.

Great family vehicle!
By Papa

2006 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this truck at just under 19,000 miles in April 2008. We had upgraded from a Toyota Corolla because our family was growing. We love everything about this truck! It's stylish, roomy (7 passengers), handles extremely well (Overdrive kicks in great when needed). Everyone has nothing but good things to say about it. It's perfect for my family of 5 with lots of room for baby's XL stroller and the kids' bags. I hope the next few years are good to me since this is my first major vehicle purchase. So far so good!

Rugged, powerful, reliable, comfortable, looks great. DVD system, awesome speakers.

Handle on interior of door takes getting used to. Should be higher up.

• SUV