Used 2006 Ford Explorer Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Ford Explorer - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

So Far So Good
By Rokgod1

2006 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV 4WD (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

Had issues right after I drove it off the lot, but the dealer fixed everything. No problems since, other than a rear window not operating. That's minor to me. I can't believe a closeable outside air vent is an upgrade on a $35k + vehicle. Didn't know that nugget until after I bought the car. I have asthma and love other cars' exhaust and pollen streaming into the car at all times. As a result of outside air at all times, the defroster, heating, and AC take more time to get up/down to temperature. Front defrosters are horrible. External audio/video inputs in the ceiling mount DVD is annoying, especially with cables dangling.

Favorite Features

Comfortable seats, plenty of cargo room, nice stereo system, rear window opens for cargo, etc., ability to listen to steeo during DVD play, wireless headphones, abilty to go out with 2 other couples in one car!

Suggested Improvements

Low fuel indicator comes on at 50 miles to go and keeps coming on every 2-5 miles thereafter. Annoying, especially since it overrides the other displays. It should stop once you scroll past it. Add closeable air vents to all HVAC systems! Move center seat cup holders- I bang into drinks often.

Why am I driving a Ford?
By T in Miami

2006 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Honeymoon period was over too quickly. Although I love driving it--great pick- up at start up and highway--the problems soon began. Electrical malfunctions: Windows, power seats get stuck when adjusting, a/c sometimes dose not turn on, etc. But the worst-- the transmission. The transmission rises to 2 revolutions and revs there all by itself. It gets stuck in 2nd, and I often (more often lately)have to pull over. Car also turned off (at 25 mph) while driving and all functions were stuck--very scarey when steering and brakes don't work! Technicians finally reparied after three weeks-- say it can happen with any car. I don't buy that.

Favorite Features

Pretty to look at, nice to drive, auto lights, spacious.

Suggested Improvements

Third row too tight, interior door handles chip easily, transmission chronically ill.

Hate the 2006 Explorer
By Connie

2006 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought a used 2006 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer in March 2008. I have had it at the dealership five times. I've had the shifter replaced and the whole fan assembly for the heat and air. I have had an ongoing problem with a loud noise coming from under the dash when I first take off. Overheard the mechanic telling the service guy that its a vacuum problem and its because of the design. Now it won't start, the road slippery light comes on and stays on even when driving on dry pavement. It also shifts hard and jerks when taking off. This is my third Explorer. I will NEVER buy one again.

Favorite Features

Interior is nice

Suggested Improvements

Recall all these vehicles or fix the problem.

Handsome SUV
By Roddy

2006 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my Explorer with 18K miles on it. It is 4x4, Eddie Bauer edition and the v-6. I was sold on it the minute I sat in it. Great interior, very comfortable and well laid out. I'm not crazy about the speedometer and tach layout. They sometimes seem to be in a hole, but a minor issue. It rides and drives great and will get 21 mpg or so on the highway. City is about 16. Great factory stereo, great A/C, rides like a Lincoln.

Favorite Features

Keyless entry on the driver side door is very handy; rear a/c vents; 4-wheel discs, antilock; anti-skid, leather interior, great color combination; Lights under the mirrors on the doors; heavy thunk when shutting the doors means it is built well.

Suggested Improvements

Very few because it is overall a great vehicle; however, I would redesign the interior arm rests and the layout of the gauges. The center stack with the stereo and A/C controls is nice as is.

Very Good Explorer
By Ben

2006 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Purchased from a dealership last year, and so far no problems, other than a tire sensor indication. This SUV drives like a dream. No sudden jerking as far as acceleration; very smooth ride. I like the fact that it's equipped with a 5-speed automatic transmission, and a middle console transmission gear shift, a very first for the explorer family. Gas mileage is really good for a normal SUV's; I drove up to 25 mpg with a 65- 70 mph speed. Very nice interior! A/C system is really good front and back. Has great exterior lighting, especially the front headlights and fog lights. Definintely recommend the explorer to anyone who desires a SUV. As long as you treat it well, it'll drive well.

Favorite Features

5-speed transmission, V6 4.0L engine, very good suspension, nice indication system (all digital instead of analog), nice looking interior, outstanding turning radius.

Suggested Improvements

Make running boards standard. Tire sensors need improvement or not have them equipped at all.