Used 2006 Ford Explorer Consumer Reviews - 182 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Ford Explorer - Consumer Reviews

2006 Ford Explorer

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

Someone Take Mine!
By M. Murphy

2006 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Year 1: gear shifter replaced. Dash electronics went nuts and computer needed to be reset. Year 2: rear shocks blew out (I have a 4 mile commute!) Exhaust hose blew and fuel filter resembled that of a car with 100k miles. Both replaced. Currently in the shop because the transmission feels like it is ready to drop. Car has 24k miles.

Comfortable, front grill redesign is classy

"build Ford tough"... hardly.

Chronic radiator problems
By Wendy

2006 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

Bought my Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer when it was just 2 years old. I've had it for 9 1/2 months and am on the 6th radiator! Yes, you heard correctly...even a reputable Ford auto shop can not find the source of the problem. So the radiator keeps getting replaced and every 1-2 months (this time it was literally only a matter of 1 week!)...it ends up leaking radiator fluid everywhere, overheating and roaring/not running properly. This was the worst purchase I've ever made and now I fell totally stuck. I HATE this car and will NEVER EVER EVER buy Ford again...Nothing but a big hassle, headache, money pit and inconvenience.

Great So Far
By xploder06

2006 Ford Explorer Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

I have had this vehicle going on almost 3 years and love it! First, the negatives. The first year I owned it I had the 4WD motor and shifter replaced. During the second year, I experienced the common "clunk" when starting from rest or moving slowly then pressing on the gas. Initially, dealer replaced faulty transmission part and re-flashed computer. Computer had to be re-flashed again recently to totally fix the problem. All covered under warranty. Now the positives. The cabin is ultra quiet when driving highway speeds of 65 mph or more. Lots of cargo space, decent performance, and very comfortable seats on long trips. Best mid-sized SUV out there IMO!

Stereo (love the feature that automatically reduces volume when speed is reduced), dual climate control, rear backup sensor, comfort, quiet cabin.

Nav. system isn't the easiest to learn. Could use a few more storage compartments up front.

Please buy it back
By exploder

2006 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV 4WD (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

Short list of problems on the day of delivery lenses were full of water radio did not work in the past two years air con quit seat quit working right rear half shaft broke.Rear door filed with water,complete new muffler system,rear lense filled with water,rear sensing system failed door closed sensor as failed wiper motor drowns out radio.Passenger seat air sensor failed .Battery dead after two years Transmission continues to bang but they tell me this is normal.I have ask my dealer service dept to work some magic and turn it into a toyota i could go on and on but I would not want to put anyone of buying one LOL

STOP BUILDING THEM

Won't buy another Ford
By B

2006 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

We are a Ford family...have 4 of them. My next vehicle will not be a Ford. I have had nothing but one problem after another with my Explorer from day one it seems. Blinkers and tail lights have gone out repeatedly and had to be replaced, dealership would have done it at no charge if I wanted to leave it all day to have a bulb replaced. Gear shift locks up, take it in and they aren't sure how to fix it even though it's a known issue with Explorers. Now my radiator is leaking. Glad it's under warranty, thinking I ought to just trade it in before that changes or it will cost me a fortune.

Looks nice, roomy enough for what we've needed.

Go over it with a fine tooth comb and fix all the kinks. Why can't you fix a known issue unless it happens while the mechanic is looking at it right at that time? If it's known to be sporadic then what are the odds of it happening right then? Figure out the issue and be able to fix it on all.