2006 Ford Explorer - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:
My Explorer
By Judy on 04/25/06 13:14 PM (PDT)

2006 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

I recently purchased my first Ford Explorer - Eddie Bauer Edition. I am very pleased with the comfort, styling and driveablity of this vehicle. For a vehicle of its size, it is remarkably quiet.

'06 Eddie Bauer loaded
By SWW on 04/22/06 07:55 AM (PDT)

2006 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

We just bought our 3rd Eddie Bauer Explorer loaded with lots of great features: new Nav system, luxurious interior, memory seats (heated), fantastic smoother quieter ride. But the key selling point for me is the door number unlock panel! Never do I look for my keys. They are locked inside the car. As a gal who frequently changes her purses & often wears skirts without pockets, this door unlock system was just what I needed and the main reason that we keep returning to our Explorer Eddie Bauers. Take a look at the impressive new front grill/headlight design on the new 2006 models, a classy SUV. Only negative is a no brainer, we'd all like to see better gas mileage.

Great SUV--if a little quirky
By Sammybosox on 04/08/06 10:26 AM (PDT)

2006 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV 4WD (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

Traded in a 2002 4Runner to get the new Explorer. Never looked back. Great interior space--my dogs love it-- and the Audiophile sound system is better than anything I've heard from the factory. Ride and handling is great, almost no body lean or roll during cornering and power is outstanding. Got the V8, it's worth the extra money and the gas. Interior is a little strange looking; the dash is kind of lumpy and the materials look cheaper than they probably are. But fit and finish seem good, and it's super quiet. Would recommend the Explorer to anyone looking for a new SUV--and the dealership has been awesome.

My favorite vehicle yet
By Casper, WY on 04/05/06 08:27 AM (PDT)

2006 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

I loved my Ford Windstar and didn't think I would want to drive a "big" SUV, but a move to wintry climate area changed my mind. I love the way it handles, the very smooth ride and the strong engine. The interior is roomy, comfortable and very quiet. The fold down rear seats are very easy to manipulate and it provides lots of cargo room in the five passenger mode. For a five member family it was a great choice.

Great value!
By Jon on 04/05/06 05:52 AM (PDT)

2006 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Tight ride plus comfortable inside. I used to own a Jeep Grand Cherokee, which was more of a sedan ride except it wobbled too much on uneven roads or bumps. This Explorer rides exceptionally well.

Best Explorer Yet
By Jamers99 on 03/22/06 14:27 PM (PST)

2006 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is my 4th Explorer since 1995. My most recent was a 2002 and the 2006 is much more comfortable. The ride and drive is really outstanding. Very tight feeling. The 4.0 l V6 is very impressive as well. Great torque. We just downsized from our 2003 Expedition and have no regrets whatsoever.

An Almost Luxury SUV
By SneakyE on 03/17/06 12:08 PM (PST)

2006 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

I have owned my 2006 Explorer for 2 months now. I was impressed from the first time I drove the car. I was amazed that a body on frame "truck" could be so quiet, smooth and effortless to drive. This rides better and is quieter that the Lexus SUVs I have tried. Yet there is plenty of power with a nice growl from the V8 when needed. I have had seven adults fit comfortable in it. Even the 6 foot guy in the 3rd row said it was surprisingly roomy. I was aware of the unusual door pulls before I looked at the car and despite my concerns I don't even notice them now. I have had no problems with the fit, finish and quality of the construction so far. This is by far the best SUV I have owned.

I love my Sasha!
By Ni-Ni on 03/11/06 15:57 PM (PST)

2006 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I love my Sasha XLT. I traded my junk '04 for the wonderful '06 and couldn't be more happier. I was a little nervous especially since my junk '04 were giving me many problems. The ride is much smoother, the seats are very comfortable, love the new look inside and out. I got the moon roof, leather seats, no third row, 6 disc, adjustable pedals and reverse sensor. I was upside down on my junk '04 Explorer but am now happy that I made the decision because I love my new '06. I just order custom design floor mats to go with the new interior. I can't wait until the summer when I can ride and be noticed from down the road in this beauty!

happy customer
By Beth on 03/08/06 13:44 PM (PST)

2006 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I wish I had gotten the v8; it doesn't really need it, but the extra power would be nice.

2006 Explorer XLT 4.0 V6
By Rick S. on 03/07/06 23:36 PM (PST)

2006 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Driving this vehicle is like driving a big sports car. Very powerful and responsive. The engine is VERY smooth when idling. The cloth seats are firm and comfortable with good lower back support. The door handle takes a little getting used to. There are 2 minor glitches that I will take care of soon. Overall, it is one fabulous SUV and I hope it will stay like this for a long time to come.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.