2006 Ford Explorer - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:
2006 Explorer: So Far So Good......
By T. B. on 08/01/06 09:47 AM (PDT)

2006 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This 2006 Explorer is a fun drive, smooth ride and a nice solid vehicle. Great for long trips. We got the captains seats for the second row - very comfortable and storage is convenient. So far with about 7,000 miles on it our highway mileage is at about 21 mpg. Not bad for the solid build of the car and the great get up and go of the V6 engine. So far so good, but our past experience with the Ford Explorer has been at 3 to 4 years old, lots of things start going wrong. Hopefully Ford has improved the reliability as well as the look. Needless to say, we leased this one for two years. Time will tell.... Still happy we chose the Ford Explorer. Love all the improved safety features, too!

pet peeves
By josie on 07/18/06 13:44 PM (PDT)

2006 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

The designer does not factor in peoples needs: no hand hold for driver. Placement of gauges. Lack of gauges (oil). Lack of mechanical odometer and trip meter. Need larger gas tank for one fill up per day on trips. Ride not as good as my long wheel base F-150. Seats should be upgraded.

5 Months with the '06 XLT
By Katz on 06/14/06 05:06 AM (PDT)

2006 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I've had this '06 XLT for almost 5 months now. I had an '04 before, and I can tell you the '06 is a vast improvement. The ride is better, interior comfort is better, and the build quality is much superior. There are some quirky features on the interior that you have to put up with, but I understand that some of these (the door handles for one) will be corrected on the '07. My highway gas mileage (21.5) is substantially better than the '04 (17.5), although I think my '04 never did run right.

I Love My SUV
By Sammy Langston on 05/28/06 20:34 PM (PDT)

2006 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I'm a missionary and I travel a lot over the country of Mexico and it really is comfortable to drive and ride in. I travel with my family and feel safe in the handling and response of the vehicle in the mountains and in off road performance. Everyone that has traveled with me says that it truly is quiet and that it is comfortable too.

Baby Blue
By melkitho on 05/08/06 13:09 PM (PDT)

2006 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV 4WD (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

I love my new baby. I am the previous owner of 2 Explorers. My most recent being a 2000. The difference between the two is like light years. I love how smooth and quiet the ride is now. In my old truck I always felt like I was riding with my windows down. This one is also more spacious than my old one. I love almost everything about this SUV. It also looks more like a luxury vehicle inside, and rides like a luxury car. Not an SUV. Good job Ford.

My first SUV and I love it.
By Ford Dude on 05/06/06 10:11 AM (PDT)

2006 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I am Ford loyal. This Explorer is my 6th Ford vehicle. I love everything about this new Explorer however I do feel there are some improvements that need to be made. 1st the headrests in the middle seat aren't so bad but the 3rd row when the seats are up need to be down to see out the back. 2nd the door pulls are too low. I do like how heavy the doors are makes it feel more sturdy. We love the reverse sensing system. The gas mileage could be improved. I traded a 05 Ford Ranger that I was able to get 30+ mpg on highway. I'm getting 22 average on the highway, big difference. My wife was sold when she found out that the Explorer came standard with side impact airbags and a 5 star crash test rating.

Eddie Bauer Explorer Exceeds Expectations
By zeeman84 on 05/05/06 20:00 PM (PDT)

2006 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

Just purchased an Eddie Bauer edition Explorer. After reading all the research and reviews, decided this was the best vehicle for our needs. Build quality is excellent. Nav radio is the way to go. Very simple to use and program. Our eight year old was able to operate the rear DVD with a short lesson from the salesman. She thinks it "rocks" I do not see the big deal about placement of the door handles. We got used to them right away. Power with the V8 is great. The mileage is about 16 which is not bad for a engine which is not broken in yet. We are also very impressed with all the safety features. With the current rebates, we received a great deal.

Explorer 2006
By mw on 04/30/06 03:46 AM (PDT)

2006 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

After considering the imposts, I found the Ford to have a nicer interior, exterior, and solid build quality. The main reason to purchase at the time was a very nice short lease deal in case I found the truck unacceptable.

New V8 Limited
By RJ on 04/26/06 16:28 PM (PDT)

2006 Ford Explorer Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

I have owned this SUV for 2 weeks. It has been in the shop for 5 days. Problem #1 leaking front differential seal. Problem #2 transmission shifts poorly. In the shop now. Even with these problems that will be fixed under warranty I like this truck. I traded a 03 Sport Trac that had no problems in 30000 miles. This truck has all the luxury one could hope for. It is very nice to drive. The dealer has been really nice and fast to work on the SUV issues.

Nice Truck So Far
By Robert on 04/26/06 13:07 PM (PDT)

2006 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is my first American SUV purchase, and so far so good. I like the looks both interior and exterior, but Ford, what were you thinking about for the door handles and pulls? I've nick-named them doork handles. Great cargo space, 3rd row seat is nice. Very quiet, smooth and responsive ride. This truck gives the driver good feedback from the road - something I only got from Japanese SUV's in the past. Wife owned a '94 sport when we got married and I couldn't dump that one fast enough, but it looks like the '06 is a winner with the ride and safety improvements.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.