06 Explorer Ltd V-8 4wd
By rowekmr on
2006 Ford Explorer Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (4.6L 8cyl 6A)
This is my 3rd Explorer. Bought it because I needed 3 rows of seats and the 4.6L engine/tow package for towing. I got it with 22K miles and now going on 3 yrs later I got 73K. It tows loads well (up to 8,000#) gets excellent mpg on the highway (24-25mpg) and can squeeze in many adults and kids. I had the hesitation problem as others but it was very intermittent. I get the high rpm shift sqeak off of the accessory drive. Dealership acts like they are normal and does quick fixes (don't work). Get the ext warranty if its loaded because the stuff is expensive to repair. My heated seat went out but was covered.
Favorite Features
Plenty power and smooth shifting 6 sp trans that is versatile. Really nice interior that is quiet. Electric fold 3 rd are great. Great cruising economy, set cruise at 65 and will get 25 mpg on level ground (older V-6 one for 17- 19mpg)
Suggested Improvements
The interior door handle which was reworked in later years. Do something with the software to get the engine and trans better inline with the driver's input.