Used 2006 Ford Explorer Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Ford Explorer - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

Over 102,000 miles and still doing well!
By mhs48128

2006 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Never towed a thing with it and that's probably why I have no trany or radiator issues. Also, garaged in winter. Yeah, a minor radiator leak and I'm watching it! Always had a slightly rough truck "ride". Comfortable front buckets. 2nd seat o.k. but 3rd seat is a "pop-up" rumble seat! Only two complaints: A "glass chin" front grille with no real bumper--not front "crashworthy". Stupid orange dashboard idiot messages. Currently lit: tire pressure sensor and gas cap leak & engine light (for same reason), and no way to turn them off permanently. (Must use reset button.) Both useless "errors" and not major. Otherwise, quite reliable. AC still works. Over 102,000 is a good life span, so far!

Adjustable power driver's seat. 3rd row manual seat. Speed control. Extra power plugs. Fog lights. Bose audio system. Not a feature, but so far, it always starts, and is quite reliable year-round.

A real 5 mph bumper on the front end. A more fuel-efficient engine. Back up radar warnings and cameras. Side avoidance sensors. "Idiot messages" that can be turned off at will.

oh boy
By Marquis Greene

2006 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I've purchase a ford explore and had to change out 3 radiators and 2 thermostats

Transmission beyond hope
By fdfinance

2006 Ford Explorer XLS 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought the Explorer new and had a thermostat failure that blew coolant all over the engine warping engine parts resulting in $2500 repair. At 70,000 miles started having transmission issues starting with slipping and high revs between gears. Transmission locked up and was replaced. Since then the same slipping issues has caused multiple returns to the shop without resolution. My wife and I like the Explorer design but the engine / transmissions issues make it a nightmare that I would not wish on anyone. This is my last Ford.

Engine / transmission redesign

Another Radiator Issue
By spanora

2006 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased this vehicle at 35k miles. At 40k miles (4 months later) the radiator, thermostat and thermostat housing went bad. $1300 later I was on my way. At 55k miles, after owning the car for 16 months, the enginge had a blown head gasket. At 85k miles, the radiator, thermostat and thermostat housing are bad again. Definitely not something that should go bad again so soon. We'll see how long radiator #3 lasts!

06 Explorer radiator and tranny
By bllowns

2006 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my 06 Explorer (my third one) with only 11,000 miles which now has 82,000 miles. So far I've replaced the radiator twice at a cost of $469.00 a pop. At 65,000 miles the transmission started slamming into reverse. When I put it in reverse now, if it dose not go in gear immediatly, I will shift it into neutral and back into reverse and hope it will gently go into reverse as it should. This helps but I shouldn't have to do this! Now it's hitting hard when it downshifts while stopping. I've owned many Fords over the years and so far I've had to replace seven or eight transmissions. No more transmissions or Fords for me! My son has a 98 Tacoma with 210,000 miles. So long Ford!

Comfort, ride, handling