Used 2006 Ford Explorer Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Ford Explorer - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

Most Helpful|
4 radiators
By cobra10181

2006 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

OK, I feel your pain. The problem with the 06-07 V6 Eddie Bauer edition is the lower brackets that the radiator sits in. They are 1/4 "to far forward, this puts the radiator in a bind. After thermal expansion and contraction the the welds in the core give up. This causes a ever so slight leak in the core. Hard to find at first , but eventually becomes much larger. You lose enough coolant to cause a over heating problem which is hard to detect because the coolant level is dropping ever so slightly. The temperature of the engine is rising at the same rate, along with the transmission, remember the trans is cooled through the same radiator. hot motor, hot trans lube breaks down.

Suggested Improvements

elongate lower brackets get rad out of bind.

2006 traded for a 2004 Tahoe thats better
By chevylover229

2006 Ford Explorer XLS 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

we have 7 kids (4 at the time we bought it in(2006) it looked OK, were we ever wrong. The only good thing about it was it broke down under warranty(16,320 miles) it was used with 15,000 miles on it we barley owned it. every thing under the hood needed to be fixed, Everything. and ford wouldn't fix it. and it was under warranty.

Suggested Improvements

stop selling explorers.

windshield glare
By Jason

2006 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is pathetic. The windshield glare is terrible. The entire dashboard is reflected onto the windshield. It is dangerous and distracting. The dealer claims its a "normal glare." Don't buy the 06 Explorers with the tan interior. The engineers knew of this defect but did not fix it. They don't care. I have owned Ford cars all of my life. This is the last Ford I will drive. I will tell everyone I know about the lack of customer service. This is very upsetting that Ford stands behind such crap!

Favorite Features

None.

Suggested Improvements

Change design. New windshield.

All around bad S.U.V.
By Jake

2006 Ford Explorer XLS 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I use this SUV at work and it just plain sucks. My car has more horsepower and it has been in the shop 3 times in little over a year. 1st issue was the tire sensor error would not clear. Next was the rear windshield wiper had a mind of its own. Then the CV joints went out ohh and even after 3 separate attempts by Ford the tire pressure error still wont go away.

Favorite Features

Is a company owned vehicle and thank god not mine!

Suggested Improvements

More HP, more trim on the outside looks really cheap, inside door handles and a pain no one can ever find them.

Please buy it back
By exploder

2006 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV 4WD (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

Short list of problems on the day of delivery lenses were full of water radio did not work in the past two years air con quit seat quit working right rear half shaft broke.Rear door filed with water,complete new muffler system,rear lense filled with water,rear sensing system failed door closed sensor as failed wiper motor drowns out radio.Passenger seat air sensor failed .Battery dead after two years Transmission continues to bang but they tell me this is normal.I have ask my dealer service dept to work some magic and turn it into a toyota i could go on and on but I would not want to put anyone of buying one LOL

Suggested Improvements

STOP BUILDING THEM