2006 Ford Explorer - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:
Transmission beyond hope
By fdfinance on 03/03/14 08:19 AM (PST)

2006 Ford Explorer XLS 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought the Explorer new and had a thermostat failure that blew coolant all over the engine warping engine parts resulting in $2500 repair. At 70,000 miles started having transmission issues starting with slipping and high revs between gears. Transmission locked up and was replaced. Since then the same slipping issues has caused multiple returns to the shop without resolution. My wife and I like the Explorer design but the engine / transmissions issues make it a nightmare that I would not wish on anyone. This is my last Ford.

Another Radiator Issue
By spanora on 10/08/13 16:03 PM (PDT)

2006 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased this vehicle at 35k miles. At 40k miles (4 months later) the radiator, thermostat and thermostat housing went bad. $1300 later I was on my way. At 55k miles, after owning the car for 16 months, the enginge had a blown head gasket. At 85k miles, the radiator, thermostat and thermostat housing are bad again. Definitely not something that should go bad again so soon. We'll see how long radiator #3 lasts!

06 Explorer radiator and tranny
By bllowns on 04/09/13 15:37 PM (PDT)

2006 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my 06 Explorer (my third one) with only 11,000 miles which now has 82,000 miles. So far I've replaced the radiator twice at a cost of $469.00 a pop. At 65,000 miles the transmission started slamming into reverse. When I put it in reverse now, if it dose not go in gear immediatly, I will shift it into neutral and back into reverse and hope it will gently go into reverse as it should. This helps but I shouldn't have to do this! Now it's hitting hard when it downshifts while stopping. I've owned many Fords over the years and so far I've had to replace seven or eight transmissions. No more transmissions or Fords for me! My son has a 98 Tacoma with 210,000 miles. So long Ford!

06 Explorer problems
By corgimom1 on 10/05/12 04:24 AM (PDT)

2006 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased my Explorer used from CarMax over 2 years ago. The clear coat is peeling around the front head lights. The parking brake handle (plastic) broke and the cost to fix is $400.00. Lucky for me, I have an extended warranty from CarMax. The driver's leather seat is cracking. The passenger seat has ripped on the seam. The rear seat holders are split on both ends. Due to ethanol in gas, miles per gallon are poor.

You guessed it.... radiator issues
By ddau on 07/04/12 20:21 PM (PDT)

2006 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Bought my 2006 XLT used in 2006 with 7K miles. Still have it and now have 87K. I replaced the radiator at 25K, 49K, and 69K. All were covered by factory or extended warranties. I live in CO and when I am up in the mountains going up hill with the car full of family, the transmission will literally shake the car when up shifting into 3rd or 4th gear. It's one of those problems you can't replicate for the dealership though. The driver's side stablizer link just broke and will be replacing this weekend. Outside of the radiator and stabilizer link, I have had no other problems with it.

Buyer Beware
By grayquiksilver on 04/05/12 12:34 PM (PDT)

2006 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Experienced many of the quality issues others are describing around the radiator and transmission. All under 75k and only 5 years old. Recently traded it in and do not regret it. Fun to drive but way too expensive to keep on the road long term.

2006 radiator/trans issues
By jrob120 on 03/24/12 13:42 PM (PDT)

2006 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I'm reluctant to write this review but after the heartache and expensive repairs...I'm compelled to share. I've been a proud fan of the Ford brand for years...and have even sold Ford/Lincoln/Mercury's for two years. With that confidence I purchased a 2006 4x4 Eddie Explorer. Since then I've replaced the radiator twice and now the trans is slipping in drive and reverse. The radiator continues to leak and now the trans drips slowly. There's no place to add trans fluid...must be done at an OEM shop. I can't continue to drive this vehicle. I have a teen driver and will not let her drive this truck for the sincere concern over her safety. Ford do the right thing and recall. Thanks!

Great SUV
By mj9011 on 02/20/12 13:06 PM (PST)

2006 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

Im not sure why all these other people are claiming to have problems because I have never had a single problem! I have owned the car since new and now has 80,000 miles and still runs like new! I will probly have this SUV for a whole lot longer and when I eventually have to get a new car I will absolutely buy Ford again! If you think that cars will never have problems then you are not thinking right. EVERY car will need repairs in its lifetime. THere is no perfect car however I think this explorer is pretty close to perfect.

The Achilles Heel of the 2006 explorer (Radiator & Transmission)
By sr_engineer42 on 01/03/12 13:50 PM (PST)

2006 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased my 2006 explorer in 2007 with 19k miles... It looks sharp and performs very well in traffic and on the interstate. Has a sport car feel imo.. however, the radiator started to leak,, then stopped for some time (seems to leak more in the colder months, not at all in the summer months) this happed at about 100k miles. I have also replace both front (wheel hubs), and the CD player. you can purchase an aftermarket radiator on-line for about $125.. much cheaper than the ford one for about 500.. The other design flaw is the Transmission.. I noticed that now 3rd gear was very shaky.. in the shift... hense the tranny is going .. .. at that point I traded the Ford for a GMC.

4 radiators
By cobra10181 on 11/30/11 16:08 PM (PST)

2006 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

OK, I feel your pain. The problem with the 06-07 V6 Eddie Bauer edition is the lower brackets that the radiator sits in. They are 1/4 "to far forward, this puts the radiator in a bind. After thermal expansion and contraction the the welds in the core give up. This causes a ever so slight leak in the core. Hard to find at first , but eventually becomes much larger. You lose enough coolant to cause a over heating problem which is hard to detect because the coolant level is dropping ever so slightly. The temperature of the engine is rising at the same rate, along with the transmission, remember the trans is cooled through the same radiator. hot motor, hot trans lube breaks down.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.