2006 Ford Explorer SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:
The Achilles Heel of the 2006 explorer (Radiator & Transmission)
By sr_engineer42 on 01/03/12 13:50 PM (PST)

2006 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased my 2006 explorer in 2007 with 19k miles... It looks sharp and performs very well in traffic and on the interstate. Has a sport car feel imo.. however, the radiator started to leak,, then stopped for some time (seems to leak more in the colder months, not at all in the summer months) this happed at about 100k miles. I have also replace both front (wheel hubs), and the CD player. you can purchase an aftermarket radiator on-line for about $125.. much cheaper than the ford one for about 500.. The other design flaw is the Transmission.. I noticed that now 3rd gear was very shaky.. in the shift... hense the tranny is going .. .. at that point I traded the Ford for a GMC.

NoMoreFords
By NoMoreFords on 07/23/10 17:05 PM (PDT)

2006 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Thank God for the extended warranty. 3 radiators, 1 A/C, shifter column, back windshield motor, tire sensor, and 4 other problems later I'm done with Ford. Several problems lurking too (transmission, 4 wheel drive). This vehicle is a piece of junk after 20,000 miles. Too bad cause I like the styling. Trading it in soon for a 4Runner. Resale value was surprising positive.

Transmission
By AmandaP on 07/20/10 19:40 PM (PDT)

2006 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I didn't have any problems with this car, in fact, I bragged to my husband all the time about how much I loved it. Then at 55,000 miles I was broke down on the side of the road an hour away from home because the transmission went out with no warning. Then it cost $2,200 to fix it.

2006 Explorer Issues
By DeJarnette23 on 06/15/10 18:07 PM (PDT)

2006 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this Explorer in 12/08 with only 20k miles and it was in pristine shape inside & out. Around 30k miles, I noticed that it would occasionally shift hard into reverse and finally took it in a month ago at 40k miles after reading many of these posts. Needless to say they had to rebuild the tranny, luckily it was under the drivetrain warranty. At 35k miles I replaced the radiator, which appears to be another huge issue with this model. As soon as the warranty is up, this thing is destined for sale or trade.

My OTHER Lady
By ChrisnIndy on 11/01/09 07:55 AM (PST)

2006 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased my white-beauty brand- spankin' used in Dec 08. I still have a daily sedan, but I love the days when I drive my truck. It's so smooth and it feels solid, planted and secure. I have had two problems, a failed radiator(which is fairly common with this Explorer) and both my power outlets failed. All was covered under warranty. I love the high seating position and it's nice when travelling. The cabin is very capacious with the seats folded down. I have saved so much money when buying large items that previously would have required paying for delivery. This is my first Ford and my first SUV. I will definitely be steering my wife toward that new Taurus when her car needs replacing!!

fantastic vehicle
By jarrad on 10/23/09 20:31 PM (PDT)

2006 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have had alot of vehicles before, this has been one of the best. I was scared at first of buying a ford so I bought a service contact for repairs. I have not had one thing go wrong in the vehcle. I would buy another one again.

Why am I driving a Ford?
By T in Miami on 10/05/08 20:27 PM (PDT)

2006 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Honeymoon period was over too quickly. Although I love driving it--great pick- up at start up and highway--the problems soon began. Electrical malfunctions: Windows, power seats get stuck when adjusting, a/c sometimes dose not turn on, etc. But the worst-- the transmission. The transmission rises to 2 revolutions and revs there all by itself. It gets stuck in 2nd, and I often (more often lately)have to pull over. Car also turned off (at 25 mph) while driving and all functions were stuck--very scarey when steering and brakes don't work! Technicians finally reparied after three weeks-- say it can happen with any car. I don't buy that.

I give!
By Daisee86 on 06/30/08 18:16 PM (PDT)

2006 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

So sad. I dreamed of this car for 7 years while I drove beat up car waiting to afford this one. Now I have had every trouble listed on all the complaint websites - back driver window won't roll down (fixed 3 times), stick shift stuck (had to be replaced), radiator leaking (has to be replaced), Transmission problem (not yet diagnosed). At least it is all covered under warranty but what a pain to have to keep taking it in. I am so upside down, I can't trade it. I am likley never to buy a Ford again and I have driven them all my life. No more.

More Problems then it's worth
By D on 12/03/07 19:40 PM (PST)

2006 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

we traded in a expedition for this.We get worst gas milage then with the v8 expedition. we live in hawaii and needed something a little smaller for parking. A month after wewe purchased this car it started making a funny noise. a year later and still trying to figure it out. ford has had my car for more then a month. they made me feel like i was the crazy one. finally they said it was the rear brake. they replaced the whole back end and still there is a problem. Also we we questioned the gas milage they said it was normal. we are getting 11 miles per gal. Arm rest on doors are chiping and they are not willing to do anything about this.I would not buy ford again. I'm very disappointed

I Love My SUV
By Sammy Langston on 05/28/06 20:34 PM (PDT)

2006 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I'm a missionary and I travel a lot over the country of Mexico and it really is comfortable to drive and ride in. I travel with my family and feel safe in the handling and response of the vehicle in the mountains and in off road performance. Everyone that has traveled with me says that it truly is quiet and that it is comfortable too.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.