2006 Ford Explorer SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:
Another Radiator Issue
By spanora on 10/08/13 16:03 PM (PDT)

2006 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased this vehicle at 35k miles. At 40k miles (4 months later) the radiator, thermostat and thermostat housing went bad. $1300 later I was on my way. At 55k miles, after owning the car for 16 months, the enginge had a blown head gasket. At 85k miles, the radiator, thermostat and thermostat housing are bad again. Definitely not something that should go bad again so soon. We'll see how long radiator #3 lasts!

06 Explorer radiator and tranny
By bllowns on 04/09/13 15:37 PM (PDT)

2006 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my 06 Explorer (my third one) with only 11,000 miles which now has 82,000 miles. So far I've replaced the radiator twice at a cost of $469.00 a pop. At 65,000 miles the transmission started slamming into reverse. When I put it in reverse now, if it dose not go in gear immediatly, I will shift it into neutral and back into reverse and hope it will gently go into reverse as it should. This helps but I shouldn't have to do this! Now it's hitting hard when it downshifts while stopping. I've owned many Fords over the years and so far I've had to replace seven or eight transmissions. No more transmissions or Fords for me! My son has a 98 Tacoma with 210,000 miles. So long Ford!

You guessed it.... radiator issues
By ddau on 07/04/12 20:21 PM (PDT)

2006 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Bought my 2006 XLT used in 2006 with 7K miles. Still have it and now have 87K. I replaced the radiator at 25K, 49K, and 69K. All were covered by factory or extended warranties. I live in CO and when I am up in the mountains going up hill with the car full of family, the transmission will literally shake the car when up shifting into 3rd or 4th gear. It's one of those problems you can't replicate for the dealership though. The driver's side stablizer link just broke and will be replacing this weekend. Outside of the radiator and stabilizer link, I have had no other problems with it.

Bad radiator!
By Cosmoang on 12/03/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2006 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Loved it until last week at 60k miles it takes me forever to shift into reverse. Then once in reverse it feels like I was rear ended. Now it shifts hard while going down the hwy. A little ticked that Ford refuses to acknowledge the transmission issue the explorers are having. Guess that what I get for buying American!

Not radiator, check your head gasket
By Tanner on 10/29/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2006 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I went through 5 radiators before I figured out I had a blown head gasket. Now, my block is warped which happens to all 06-07 4.0's when they overheat.

Graetly Disappointed in FORD
By RYTYJAY on 07/14/10 16:08 PM (PDT)

2006 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased the truck brand new, I brought the truck in for Recall (shift Plate) very difficult to shift, I told them I was having a hard shift jolt when putting it in reverse like being rearended. They told me they couldn't find the problem, they put in a new PCM. (new computer) after the new PCM they stated there still was no answers for the transmission problem. I asked if it had anything to do with the recall they said no! I didn't understand how they could say that if they didn't know what the problem was? anyway they asked if they could pull the transmission for $600 and then they would call me and let me know what damage needed to be repaired. I declined to pay $600 for a diagnostic.

Heap Of Junk
By Chilly on 01/08/10 07:17 AM (PST)

2006 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This Model Ford is a piece of Junk. Every issue that everyone has with this car we have had. Bought it used, we have had to replace the radiator twice now. The lurching problem with the transmission fixed twice(36k) and now the breaks at low speed breaking make an awful noise, oh and thats right after ford installed new brakes. All service done at a local ford dealership and they seem clueless as how to fix there own car! We were honda faithfuls but thought we would try a FORD (buy American... right). Stand in line call me an idiot later. Car now has 76k another radiator to buy. I think I'll take this hunk out back and put it out of its misery! STEER CLEAR OF THIS JUNK!

Amazing
By Threnners on 11/05/09 13:20 PM (PST)

2006 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I now understand why there are so many Explorers on the road -it is simply amazing. For a vehicle that is physically 4 years old (the build date is 2005), it still drives and handles like it just came from the factory. It drives like a big marshmallow - you rarely feel anything on the road, and I have yet to have an issue with it. Mileage wise I average 18.8- 19.1 MPG weekly. It's just a great truck, and after driving a money pit Mazda Tribute for years, its a welcome relief.

Luv almost all of it!
By Scotch&Cigars on 08/03/09 19:26 PM (PDT)

2006 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased my SUV with 40000 miles. I now have about 72000 miles and have had nothing but good luck with it. Although the gas mileage is a little lower than I'd like, I bought an SUV, so I'm not going to complain. No problems with the power train, electronics, or anything else with the mechanics. The only problem has been with the front driver's seat comfort. A large person must have owned it prior to me and mashed out the seat, which I didn't notice until I sat for a longer drive.

Won't buy another Ford
By B on 02/07/09 20:54 PM (PST)

2006 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

We are a Ford family...have 4 of them. My next vehicle will not be a Ford. I have had nothing but one problem after another with my Explorer from day one it seems. Blinkers and tail lights have gone out repeatedly and had to be replaced, dealership would have done it at no charge if I wanted to leave it all day to have a bulb replaced. Gear shift locks up, take it in and they aren't sure how to fix it even though it's a known issue with Explorers. Now my radiator is leaking. Glad it's under warranty, thinking I ought to just trade it in before that changes or it will cost me a fortune.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.