Used 2006 Ford Explorer XLT SUV Consumer Reviews - 26 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Ford Explorer SUV - Consumer Reviews

2006 Ford Explorer SUV

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

Great Family Car
By Helpful Ford Owner

2006 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Bought this car used with 14,000 miles on it back in 2008. I have the "Advance Trac" version with the 4.0ltr V6, they were the really base model and I don't see many of them around. They also didn't have the gobs of chrome the other models came with, which means mine has aged pretty gracefully and looks a lot like the more recent Expeditions. It's been garaged kept and I have given it regular recommended maintenance. I have managed to put over 90,000 miles on it since I purchased it, aside from a leaky thermostat housing which I replaced myself at 50,000 miles for about $80 total, it's been a good truck.

First I'll start with the negatives. At very low speeds the transmission feels like there is a guy in there with a sledge hammer shifting gears. The back seat is not really that comfortable for adults, it's really sad, I think my 01 2dr Explorer sport had a more comfortable and roomy back seat than my 06 4dr. The motor has a lot of low end torque at low city speeds which is great, but at highway speed the V6 struggles when it comes to passing. I am a pretty easy driver but I can barely coax over 16mpg out of it with a mix of highway and city driving.

My car is pretty bare bones and I like it that way, not much to go wrong. AC works great, so does the heat power windows are nice and so is cruise control. Front seat is very comfortable for me and I like the commanding view. Its very torquey on the low end so it does well around town. I've never towed anything but I bet it would do ok at low speeds, I'd hate to take anything heavy on the highway though. For the last 5 years it has been the commuter vehicle for my family, fits two children in the back comfortably and 3 in a pinch. LOTS of room in the trunk for stuff, and believe me I have needed every inch. I don't have the fold flat 3rd row of seats, but I do get some pretty nifty storage compartments under the deck instead.

I'm very happy with my Explorer, it's been pretty dependable. I had an 01 Explorer Sport which had over 170,000 miles on it when I got rid of it (still ran well too) so I hope that this one will last as long.

Another Radiator Issue
By spanora

2006 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased this vehicle at 35k miles.
At 40k miles (4 months later) the radiator, thermostat and thermostat housing went bad.
$1300 later I was on my way.
At 55k miles, after owning the car for 16 months, the enginge had a blown head gasket.
At 85k miles, the radiator, thermostat and thermostat housing are bad again.
Definitely not something that should go bad again so soon.
We'll see how long radiator #3 lasts!

06 Explorer radiator and tranny
By bllowns

2006 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my 06 Explorer (my third one)
with only 11,000 miles which now has 82,000 miles.
So far I've replaced the radiator twice at a cost of $469.00 a pop.
At 65,000 miles the transmission started slamming into reverse.
When I put it in reverse now, if it dose not go in gear immediatly, I will shift it into neutral and back into reverse and hope it will gently go into reverse as it should.
This helps but I shouldn't have to do this!
Now it's hitting hard when it downshifts while stopping.
I've owned many Fords over the years and so far I've had to replace seven or eight transmissions.
No more transmissions or Fords for me!
My son has a 98 Tacoma with 210,000 miles.
So long Ford!

Comfort, ride, handling

Transmissions!

You guessed it.... radiator issues
By ddau

2006 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Bought my 2006 XLT used in 2006 with 7K miles.
Still have it and now have 87K.
I replaced the radiator at 25K, 49K, and 69K.
All were covered by factory or extended warranties.
I live in CO and when I am up in the mountains going up hill with the car full of family, the transmission will literally shake the car when up shifting into 3rd or 4th gear.
It's one of those problems you can't replicate for the dealership though.
The driver's side stablizer link just broke and will be replacing this weekend.
Outside of the radiator and stabilizer link, I have had no other problems with it.

I like all of the safety features of the vehicle (traction control, rollover stability). XLT trim is ho-hum.

The radiator is a joke and obviously I am not not the only one. When I saw one review about having it replaced 6 times, it made my car look fantastic. My extended warranty runs out at 108K miles, so you can plan on seeing my Explorer on Craiglist with 107K on the odometer. Unless I can get the extended warranty to pony up a new engine and transmission!

Bad radiator!
By Cosmoang

2006 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Loved it until last week at 60k miles it takes me forever to shift into reverse. Then once in reverse it feels like I was rear ended. Now it shifts hard while going down the hwy. A little ticked that Ford refuses to acknowledge the transmission issue the explorers are having. Guess that what I get for buying American!