Used 2006 Ford Explorer XLS SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Ford Explorer - Consumer Reviews

2006 Ford Explorer SUV

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

Transmission beyond hope
By fdfinance

2006 Ford Explorer SUV XLS 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought the Explorer new and had a thermostat failure that blew coolant all over the engine warping engine parts resulting in $2500 repair. At 70,000 miles started having transmission issues starting with slipping and high revs between gears. Transmission locked up and was replaced. Since then the same slipping issues has caused multiple returns to the shop without resolution. My wife and I like the Explorer design but the engine / transmissions issues make it a nightmare that I would not wish on anyone. This is my last Ford.

Suggested Improvements

Engine / transmission redesign

2006 traded for a 2004 Tahoe thats better
By chevylover229

2006 Ford Explorer SUV XLS 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

we have 7 kids (4 at the time we bought it in(2006) it looked OK, were we ever wrong. The only good thing about it was it broke down under warranty(16,320 miles) it was used with 15,000 miles on it we barley owned it. every thing under the hood needed to be fixed, Everything. and ford wouldn't fix it. and it was under warranty.

Suggested Improvements

stop selling explorers.

Seized Engine due to Overheating WithOut any Warning
By tinman69

2006 Ford Explorer SUV XLS 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Our Explorer got warm once . Gauge shot from normal to 3/4 of the way up then went down, then shot almost to the red. I pulled over added water after waiting 45 minutes to cool engine (cool winter night) . There was no more overheating indicated & was driven a few more miles before the engine seized without Any indication of anything wrong . Dealer says piston is fused to block & will cost $ 5,100 for New ford engine, doesn't mention about the cause of the problem, most likely the Manufacturer Defective Radiator or the Head Gasket is to blame from my research on this Model/Year (06/07) of Ford. Transmission is sure to go out soon I fear

Favorite Features

It's an American Car. HATE that It Is A Ford and has Problems. All my uncles are mechanics and, except for major engine and tranny work, I replace and repair all on my own vehicle (this is my Fiancee's) . This is the worst reviewed vehicle I have ever seen.

Suggested Improvements

RUN from this (2006) and 2007's FOrd Explorers They stink

Heap of JUNK!!
By Fee

2006 Ford Explorer SUV XLS 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

At this current time my Ford 2006 Explorer XLS is at the service department at the purchase dealership. This time it was returned for the recall on and having too heavily accelerate when in reverse and especially in drive. They think it maybe an engine or transmission problem at (108000 miles). The joke is the transmission is sealed and must be returned to the service department for servicing and of course money. Also, the radiator has been replaced twice. I am very afraid to maintain this vehicle due to the current and previous mechanical problems. This vehicle is American Made but itís a heap of joke and I wonder was it assembled on Monday or Friday.

Favorite Features

At this point I hate this vehicle and have nothing positive to say.

Suggested Improvements

Better warranty for engine and transmission. The able to check the transmission fluid with an dip stick.

Not the best midsized SUV but not the worst
By elliott

2006 Ford Explorer SUV XLS 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have owned my Ford for just under a year now and have had some problems I would like to warn people interested in buying the car. First at 3200 miles I had to have the trans reprogramed not to big of a deal but the trans should not be slipping at all especially at 3000 miles. Second the passenger door was making the squeeks the the domestics are know again. I emphasize at less than 5000 miles. Build quality is up to snuff with the imports. It a far better car than the one it replaced. The other enormous draw back is the resale. I own a 2006 and payed about 24000 and is now woth about eleven.

Favorite Features

The amount of car for the money

Suggested Improvements

Buy the v8. The 6speed transmission thats comes with it is much smoother