2006 Ford Explorer - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:
no problems here
By jim g on 03/16/10 15:44 PM (PDT)

2006 Ford Explorer Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

This is my 3rd Explore and by far my best. Plenty of power and the ride is very smooth. Every feature works as expected. Very stable on the highway and easy to drive in town. No comparison to the explores of the early years.

Black Beauty
By BelAirCarGuy on 02/06/10 03:46 AM (PST)

2006 Ford Explorer Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

Bought this 2006 Limited V-8 with 32,000 miles to replace a 1996 Isuzu Trooper. The Explorer has great styling both inside and out, three rows of seats with power folding third row. Plenty of interior room, with lots of leg room in the second row. Good visibility, with a straight hood, so you can see the front corners of the vehicle. The ride is very smooth with the independent rear suspension, and interior quiet at highway speeds. I did purchase a extended warranty for three years/thirty-six thousand miles. Recently had a run through the snow with slippery road conditions. The automatic 4WD worked great, but also tried the "manual" 4WD option. No problems either. Overall, great!

Disappointed
By Doug on 12/24/09 11:46 AM (PST)

2006 Ford Explorer Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

I’m a huge Ford fan; however Ford didn’t get it right with the Explorer. Take for example my 2007 F-150, I love it. The Explorer isn’t up to par with the European or Japanese SUVs as far as fit and finish and probably reliability. With 40K M to date, the follow have been replaced: gear shifter, heater valve, alternator, & Nav system fixed. The vehicle has lots of interior plastic too. The ride is harsh for 4 wheel independent suspension. Visibility is poor. There are big side blind spots and with the 3rd row head rests up, it’s poor out the back too. The trans off the line hesitates/sluggish (been reflashed). Steering at slow speed is heavy. I’m not a big fan of the interior door handles.

06 Explorer Ltd V-8 4wd
By rowekmr on 10/29/09 00:24 AM (PDT)

2006 Ford Explorer Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

This is my 3rd Explorer. Bought it because I needed 3 rows of seats and the 4.6L engine/tow package for towing. I got it with 22K miles and now going on 3 yrs later I got 73K. It tows loads well (up to 8,000#) gets excellent mpg on the highway (24-25mpg) and can squeeze in many adults and kids. I had the hesitation problem as others but it was very intermittent. I get the high rpm shift sqeak off of the accessory drive. Dealership acts like they are normal and does quick fixes (don't work). Get the ext warranty if its loaded because the stuff is expensive to repair. My heated seat went out but was covered.

Great So Far
By xploder06 on 04/21/09 18:26 PM (PDT)

2006 Ford Explorer Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

I have had this vehicle going on almost 3 years and love it! First, the negatives. The first year I owned it I had the 4WD motor and shifter replaced. During the second year, I experienced the common "clunk" when starting from rest or moving slowly then pressing on the gas. Initially, dealer replaced faulty transmission part and re-flashed computer. Computer had to be re-flashed again recently to totally fix the problem. All covered under warranty. Now the positives. The cabin is ultra quiet when driving highway speeds of 65 mph or more. Lots of cargo space, decent performance, and very comfortable seats on long trips. Best mid-sized SUV out there IMO!

Next best to a GL 450 merc
By john pearson on 11/13/07 06:32 AM (PST)

2006 Ford Explorer Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

We have driven #xplorers for 10 years and 5 models. The combination of a frame for trailering, the independent suspension, roomy, quick V8, three row seating fit the niche. Smallest SUV that can accompish the tasks of a bigger SUV. The mileage is 15/20. The handling/ride has improved. We did crack the stability control cog on the axle by hitting a curb. Seemed strange since the wheel was fine but the axle cog broke. Had the tranny fixed. Same issue as everyone else but a quick resolution. The engine was reflashed for better response (nice improvement) and the belt assembly replaced to fix a high rpm shift squeek. Overall if you want a refined and real SUV that is not too big this is it

WORST VEHICLE EVER
By BrockPSU on 09/18/07 13:12 PM (PDT)

2006 Ford Explorer Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

This is the worst vehicle I've ever owned. This Explorer was actually at the dealer for warranty tranny repair for 7 consecutive weeks! It was a problem with Ford and the dealer, and no one ever returned my calls. I tried Customer Care at Ford and their response were "what can we do for you?" And they did nothing! I am dealing with a lawyer now to try and resolve this. The vehicle would surge forward at the end of a stop, enough that you could spill your drink or, if not wearing a seatbelt, do more damage. I was told that this is just a charcteristic of the "first in class" 6 speed transmission.

V8 has a terrible transmission
By Jason G on 05/03/07 16:43 PM (PDT)

2006 Ford Explorer Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

We purchased this car brand new and under "d" plan as my uncle worked at the dealership. The motor has great power and the car has a nice smooth quiet ride. Ergonomics are good with the exception of the door handles and it was an overall fun SUV to drive. Then after a few months the transmission troubles began. This SUV has a learning transmission that is supposed to optimize itself for your driving style. This feature has learned only how to hesitate while accelerating and bang, clunk and sometimes accelerate during braking to a stop. After many service attempts and getting regional reps invloved Ford now says its a "normal condition" Not happy with this at all!

Solid Ride and Lots of Comforts
By NewRider on 04/29/07 19:27 PM (PDT)

2006 Ford Explorer Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

Quiet, comfortable, powerful, and solid. Surprised at the great handling on curves, and the tight turning radius. Competes well with our Acura MDX! Engine runs smooth and quiet. Can barely feel the tranny shift, even when kicking in the on-the- fly full-time 4-wheel drive system. Comfortable steering wheel with redundant audio, HVAC, and speed controls keep your hands on the wheel and your eyes on the road!

The Ford No One Saw coming
By Bklue on 09/13/06 14:25 PM (PDT)

2006 Ford Explorer Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

I had the Explorer for a year now its still works and looks like new. I added some upgrades like polarized windows, a new Sony stereo, sound system, and a gps system.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.