Used 2006 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Ford Explorer - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

Beautiful Car...Worthless!!
By samoanmadness

2006 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

So, I find my soulmate...Sleek Black, sunroof, powered everything, leather seats, shiny rims, and a third row of seats for my family. Now, Im crying that I have to trade it in. After investing over $7,000 in repairs, I am Done. Here are the repairs -$2,500 For Complete Transmission Overhaul -$2,500 For Complete Cooling System Change (new radiator, water pump...ect) -$200.00 For Transfer Case Filter change -$400.00 Raplacement of Wheel Berring -$1,100 To Replace all Wheels with Guarentee Guess What? Now, There is a Random Misfire and no one knows how to fix it!! My guess....another $850.00 (including a new cat. converter) worth of repairs!! I am now officially giving up on Ford!!

Looks, Looks, Looks...

My suggestion is that this vehicle be Recalled!! I have done my homework and am seeing a ton of reviews similar to mine, but broken up between consumers. Many complaints on the cooling system. Many complaints on the Transmission. Many complaints on my new problem.......Severe hesitation and jerking with a rotten egg smell. It remains as to how many complaints there are not reported. The gov.has a site called "Safer Car" that allows people with these issues to call their complaints in. I believe that a Recall is needed for this vehicle.

Love this tank
By spidermann59

2006 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

Loved it the moment I saw it. I love driving it anywhere, anytime. The v8 is the way to go with the towing package, you can haul anything. Bought the Eddie Bauer with the all the goodies and I drive it with the sun roof open and the stereo blasting with 292 hp available she is the bomb. When my wife lets me drive it.

#1 Sun roof, heated seats, overhead air conditioning, booming radio, mustang engine!

Adjustable suspension.

Piece of Junk
By kevin

2006 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

I have been a Explorer owner since 1994, this is my 4th or 5th Explorer. The worst EVER. I will never purchase ford again. My car has been to the shop many times. 4 times for transmission problem. they cant fix it and they are just jerking me around. The transmission jerks hard and it has started to bother my back. I am very dissapointed with ford and I am sure there will be a law suit either on my own or class action.

there are too many, for a 40K car there is just toomany design Flaws, all the way down to the simplets thing, CUP HOLDER, cant even hold a bottle.

2006 Explorer V8
By Dennis Barrett

2006 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

I now have 18,000 miles and here comes the transmission clunk (at slow speeds) everyone is talking about. Not sure what to do as it sounds like everyone is getting the big blow off from Ford. This is my third Explorer and yes it is quiet. The glare from the dash however is life threatening and I hope Ford's attorneys are prepared. The only help has been to put on one of those white-trash dash covers....really classy! It's no secret about the door handles and gas mileage. Ride was very nice at first, now after a year feeling each bump! Also if quality is job one, then how about a five or seven year warranty?

Sound system, cabin is quiet

Transmission, dash glare problem, leather looks old after one year

my Explorer
By bigguid33

2006 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

Updating my review, my Explorer overall has been a good vehicle but has been in the shop 3 times for transmission problems that so far should be fixed but we will see. Would still recommend but after this one I would rather have a 2005 or older.

Leather, heated seats etc.

Transmission, better mileage, more power.