2006 Ford Explorer - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:
Transmission beyond hope
By fdfinance on 03/03/14 08:19 AM (PST)

2006 Ford Explorer XLS 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought the Explorer new and had a thermostat failure that blew coolant all over the engine warping engine parts resulting in $2500 repair. At 70,000 miles started having transmission issues starting with slipping and high revs between gears. Transmission locked up and was replaced. Since then the same slipping issues has caused multiple returns to the shop without resolution. My wife and I like the Explorer design but the engine / transmissions issues make it a nightmare that I would not wish on anyone. This is my last Ford.

2006 traded for a 2004 Tahoe thats better
By chevylover229 on 04/02/11 12:19 PM (PDT)

2006 Ford Explorer XLS 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

we have 7 kids (4 at the time we bought it in(2006) it looked OK, were we ever wrong. The only good thing about it was it broke down under warranty(16,320 miles) it was used with 15,000 miles on it we barley owned it. every thing under the hood needed to be fixed, Everything. and ford wouldn't fix it. and it was under warranty.

Seized Engine due to Overheating WithOut any Warning
By tinman69 on 03/07/11 14:04 PM (PST)

2006 Ford Explorer XLS 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Our Explorer got warm once . Gauge shot from normal to 3/4 of the way up then went down, then shot almost to the red. I pulled over added water after waiting 45 minutes to cool engine (cool winter night) . There was no more overheating indicated & was driven a few more miles before the engine seized without Any indication of anything wrong . Dealer says piston is fused to block & will cost $ 5,100 for New ford engine, doesn't mention about the cause of the problem, most likely the Manufacturer Defective Radiator or the Head Gasket is to blame from my research on this Model/Year (06/07) of Ford. Transmission is sure to go out soon I fear

Heap of JUNK!!
By Fee on 02/23/10 20:08 PM (PST)

2006 Ford Explorer XLS 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

At this current time my Ford 2006 Explorer XLS is at the service department at the purchase dealership. This time it was returned for the recall on and having too heavily accelerate when in reverse and especially in drive. They think it maybe an engine or transmission problem at (108000 miles). The joke is the transmission is sealed and must be returned to the service department for servicing and of course money. Also, the radiator has been replaced twice. I am very afraid to maintain this vehicle due to the current and previous mechanical problems. This vehicle is American Made but itís a heap of joke and I wonder was it assembled on Monday or Friday.

Not the best midsized SUV but not the worst
By elliott on 10/04/07 21:01 PM (PDT)

2006 Ford Explorer XLS 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have owned my Ford for just under a year now and have had some problems I would like to warn people interested in buying the car. First at 3200 miles I had to have the trans reprogramed not to big of a deal but the trans should not be slipping at all especially at 3000 miles. Second the passenger door was making the squeeks the the domestics are know again. I emphasize at less than 5000 miles. Build quality is up to snuff with the imports. It a far better car than the one it replaced. The other enormous draw back is the resale. I own a 2006 and payed about 24000 and is now woth about eleven.

99 Durango was Better
By Tony on 09/10/06 06:24 AM (PDT)

2006 Ford Explorer XLS 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased basic XLS V6 model. Vehicle looks nice. It has been in the shop 3 times since March 06 purchase. Lumbar support driver seat broke twice, still not fixed right; rear driver side window inoperable, transmission will not shift out of park more than half of the time when brake pedal is depressed. Fuel economy no better than my former Durango V8 5.9 liter. Gas pedal is too small and foot slips off. I am stuck in this thing for several years; can not afford loss of value to sell now.

Impressive and Inspired
By Ross Musick on 08/09/06 08:13 AM (PDT)

2006 Ford Explorer XLS 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Bought one of the last 2006's on the lot. Got $6,400 off sticker and 1.9% apr for 72 months. This car has impressed me more than any other vehicle I have owned. Thoughtful design, awesome powertrain, plush interior and it looks great in black! Traded in an '03 Mazda Tribute for this and got about the same payment, what a deal! The dealer also threw in a 7 year/70,000 mile bumper-to-bumper warranty and lifetime oil changes. Could not have been more pleased with the entire experience and the vehicle.

Always wanted one. Glad I have one.
By J. Cunha on 02/28/06 06:51 AM (PST)

2006 Ford Explorer XLS 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Very happy with this 2006 Explorer, even for an XLS with Sport package, it's awesome. Great looking on the outside, beautiful on the inside, I just couldn't be happier.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.