Used 2005 Ford Explorer SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Ford Explorer SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

Ford Transmission are Terrible
By dennis

2005 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is my third Explorer. I had a '98 that the transmission had to be rebuilt at 70K. Unfortunately, I was hit and it was totaled soon after. I bought a 2002. Started getting transmission warning lights at 36K. At 69K Ford finally admitted they can't find the problem and bought it back. I got a marginally OK deal if I bought a 2005. At 35K the converter went while I was on vacation. Spent part of my vacation sitting in the dealership and had to rent a car. I got the car back in time to return home. Back with Ford 3 times for the same problem in the next 3 mos. Now at 65K the trans is overheating and leaking. I am waiting for the diagnosis from the dealer. MY LAST FORD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

None

Build a reliable transmission. At least put back a dipstick so I can check the fluid level myself

Awesome
By josh

2005 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Great truck. Awesome 4 wheel drive system. Amazing in snow. Not what I expected at all. Best car I ever owned. Love it. Used to hate Ford until this

Utility, versatility

Fuel economy

Not Bad
By TXGuy

2005 Ford Explorer SUV XLT Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have owned my XLT for 2.5 years. It has 41,000 miles on it. Nothing mechanical has broke down. The leather seats were replaced at 34,000 miles due to excessive cracking..no questions asked by Ford. The original Michelin tires had to be replaced at 30,000 miles. It has been a good car. There is a weird vibraton noise under the driver's seat. I have not had any other issues...handles like an SUV, but still a good contender for the mid- size SUV buyer. I might consider the Toyota 4Runner next time simply because it keeps its value better.

Driver Information Center (computer), Audiophile sound system, AdvanceTrac

The interior design seems a bit dated compared to some of the new vehicles I have seen.

Great reliable SUV
By deb

2005 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I've had this Explorer for almost 3 yrs without any problems except for one minor problem with the cd player..the cd got stuck in it...they fixed it for me immediately with no charge. Actually I love this car but because of the poor gas mileage I am going to get something else when my lease expires. The pickup is great,good brakes and good road feel. I feel very safe in this car.

Better gas mileage

Gas Hog
By okmarshal

2005 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I've had my '05 almost three months, traded in a 98' 2WD with 96k and very few problems. The greatest disapointment is the terrible gas mileage-14.2 avg. is the best I've had so far. My 2WD got 17-20 mpg on avg. which ends up being aprox. 2 fillups a week vs. every 1 1/2-2 wks. with 2WD, Knew 4WD would be worse but not that much difference. Would not recommend this vehicle to anyone on a tight budget

Lighted controls in steering wheel. Body style. Low profile back window lifts to open vs. lifting entire tailgate or lowering window.

Improved gas mileage! Smoother ride. Better quality control. Back passenger's window stopped working - with less than 23,000 miles on vehicle.