Used 2005 Ford Explorer SUV Consumer Reviews - 146 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Ford Explorer SUV - Consumer Reviews

2005 Ford Explorer SUV

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

Love it so far
By Anonymous

2005 Ford Explorer SUV XLT Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

We've only had this a few weeks but I am completely in love with this vehicle. I had a Toyota Corolla before, and I hated being so low and vulnerable, and putting my daughter in the backseat was always a chore due to its low ground clearance. The Explorer handles amazingly well, and I really like that it's equipped with stability control and has independent rear suspension. The running boards are a great feature, and I really like the leather. Some people had issues with it being poor quality, but our particular vehicle is already 3 years old, and the leather looks to be in great shape still with no cracking or tears. I love the third row seat, and I love how much space there is.

Ride height, turning radius, room surrounding passengers in cabin, third row seating, rear air controls (and air in all three rows)...the adjustable lumbar support is great, too. This really is such a wonderful vehicle.

Maybe gas mileage - but I seem to be getting between 19 and 21 with mostly highway driving...equipping with a class III hitch as stock instead of upgrade would be nice - and rear sensors coming standard would be nice too.

Ford Transmission are Terrible
By dennis

2005 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is my third Explorer. I had a '98 that the transmission had to be rebuilt at 70K. Unfortunately, I was hit and it was totaled soon after. I bought a 2002. Started getting transmission warning lights at 36K. At 69K Ford finally admitted they can't find the problem and bought it back. I got a marginally OK deal if I bought a 2005. At 35K the converter went while I was on vacation. Spent part of my vacation sitting in the dealership and had to rent a car. I got the car back in time to return home. Back with Ford 3 times for the same problem in the next 3 mos. Now at 65K the trans is overheating and leaking. I am waiting for the diagnosis from the dealer. MY LAST FORD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

None

Build a reliable transmission. At least put back a dipstick so I can check the fluid level myself

Awesome
By josh

2005 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Great truck. Awesome 4 wheel drive system. Amazing in snow. Not what I expected at all. Best car I ever owned. Love it. Used to hate Ford until this

Utility, versatility

Fuel economy

Not Bad
By TXGuy

2005 Ford Explorer SUV XLT Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have owned my XLT for 2.5 years. It has 41,000 miles on it. Nothing mechanical has broke down. The leather seats were replaced at 34,000 miles due to excessive cracking..no questions asked by Ford. The original Michelin tires had to be replaced at 30,000 miles. It has been a good car. There is a weird vibraton noise under the driver's seat. I have not had any other issues...handles like an SUV, but still a good contender for the mid- size SUV buyer. I might consider the Toyota 4Runner next time simply because it keeps its value better.

Driver Information Center (computer), Audiophile sound system, AdvanceTrac

The interior design seems a bit dated compared to some of the new vehicles I have seen.

Great reliable SUV
By deb

2005 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I've had this Explorer for almost 3 yrs without any problems except for one minor problem with the cd player..the cd got stuck in it...they fixed it for me immediately with no charge. Actually I love this car but because of the poor gas mileage I am going to get something else when my lease expires. The pickup is great,good brakes and good road feel. I feel very safe in this car.

Better gas mileage