2005 Ford Explorer XLS Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Ford Explorer - Consumer Reviews

2005 Explorer Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

Sort Reviews by

Not a lemon yet
By scottk_61

2005 Ford Explorer XLT Sport Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

We bought the vehicle and were unable to even leave the dealership. It died right there. The dealership replaced the complete fuel system at Ford's advice which seemed to take care of the problem. Now at 8000 miles, the rear end is shot as well as transmission problems and axle bearing problems. The vehicle is beautiful and rids very nicely ... when it runs.

Favorite Features

Body design and interior are great. Very good leather work.

Suggested Improvements

Fix the rear end on these, I have seen 7 other '05s in for service with rear end problems.

me and my explorer
By rachael

2005 Ford Explorer Limited Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

this is a great SUV however it is far from as comfortable as the expedition that I had before.

Favorite Features

sterio and dvd

Suggested Improvements

the leather seats are far to stiff.

would not recommend
By douglas durant

2005 Ford Explorer XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This vehicle does not get the gas mileage stated on the window sticker.

Favorite Features

Outside trim.

Suggested Improvements

Redesign interior; too plain.

Awesome Explorer
By christine

2005 Ford Explorer XLS Sport Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I've had my Explorer about a week now :) and it's awesome. It's a great ride. I'm nice and high up and can see EVERYTHING! I love the message center, since I'm totally inept when it comes to automotive things; like checking the levels -- it checks levels for me! The interior is beautiful, I have cloth seats, no bells or whistles really, but even the basic is great. I'm still on my tank from the dealer, and I'm kind of scared to fill her up, but since I'm gaining safety and height I guess it's ok. And it is a midsize SUV after all, wouldn't expect to fill up for $30. And it's not bad, it makes you take it easy. So basically, while there are these family plans, go out and get an Explorer! You'll love it!

Favorite Features

Most definitely the message center, height, CD player and cup holders .

Suggested Improvements

FORD, please help with the gas mileage! Otherwise, nada.

We like driving it!
By phillman

2005 Ford Explorer XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Actually we are 100% happy with the Explorer. The only problem we have had is the pick-up. When going up a hill, the engine seems to be working pretty hard and the pick-up is sluggish. I think if we has the 8 cylinder we would not have the problem. As I said great car! I would recommend it to anyone.

Favorite Features

Extra row seating, 4WD.

Suggested Improvements

Perhaps adjust gearing to accommodate power to improve pick-up in hilly environment.

Owner
By Lynda Smith

2005 Ford Explorer Limited Rwd 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 5A)

So far ... great car. Gas mileage could be improved.

Favorite Features

Ease of getting in and out.

Suggested Improvements

Easier steering and easier tilt steering.

First Ford
By Roberta

2005 Ford Explorer XLS 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Great deal for the car. Good rebates were given. This SUV is nice; has a smooth ride to it. Not too bad on gas. If youíre looking for an SUV this is a great start. it's not too big and yet big enough for the family and pets. Lots of pick up and go on the expressway. And it looks good. Love the new color. I got (Darkstone) with metal flakes.

Favorite Features

Love the rear split folding seats; adds extra cargo room for large items.

Suggested Improvements

Needs more padding in the seats. The inside could use some spicing up, like temp reading on the rear view mirror. Itís kind of plain. I expected more extras for an SUV. The plastic makes it look really plain. Hate the fact that items slides around in the cargo area; nothing to hold it in place.

back to an SUV
By parker

2005 Ford Explorer Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 5A)

Had an Expedition, sold it and bought a car (mistake), sold that and I'm back to Ford. After researching and test driving I bought my Explorer and I love it! Couldn't beat what I got for the money. An import SUV with the options I got would have been thousands more. And I love the look of my truck. Runs great, the higher seating and better visibility, the cool look of chrome! Just plain fun to drive. If you're a mom looking for an SUV to handle your family make sure you check out the Explorer.

Favorite Features

My sunroof. The great seat adjustability for us shorter gals, along with the adjustable pedals. The pop open rear window so you don't have to open the whole rear hatch, great for loading groceries!

Suggested Improvements

Auto-up feature on driver's window, and auto-close on the sunroof. Heated seats could have a low and high setting and the control button could have a better location (maybe on the counsel or on steering wheel with audio). A few more horsepower never hurt!

Grandma's new set of wheels
By Glen Keen

2005 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

The 360 degree view from the drivers seat is excellent. Handling and performance is much better than I thought it would be even when loaded with 7 adults. The DVD/With headsets and dual sound keeps teenage carping to a minimum. My 69 year old wife loves to drive it and feels more safe due to the excellent visibility and the greater frame height. Teenage grandsons rate it as "really cool".

Favorite Features

Looks, handling, interior design, audio and video components, message center, driving lights, dual and rear heat and air.

Suggested Improvements

A different adjustment system for the steering wheel settings. Confusing settings for air, radio and DVD sound.

XLT Sport
By JMeis37136

2005 Ford Explorer XLT Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

At first I really wanted a V8 Explorer but the are like finding a needle in a haystack at a dealership around here. The V6 has decent power just wish the fuel economy was better. Fit and finish on the vehicle is pretty good except for some solvent popping on the hood. The leather interior is great and I would highly recommend it. The Audiophile sound system is second to none in the sound department. The display on the radio just needs to get in the 21st century. vehicle is smooth and quiet to drive on both the city and the highway.

Favorite Features

Audiophile Sound System. Leather interior. Styling actually looks like something not a big blob like other SUVs.

Suggested Improvements

Move the gas tank to the driver's side so I don't have to reach across the passenger seat to pay the lazy attendants. (We're not allowed to pump our own). Change the display on the radio. My car in '84 used the same numbers. The 3rd row seat needs to lay flat in order to put anything in the back.