2005 Ford Explorer - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:
Broken Gas Gauge
By 4work on 11/04/05 15:18 PM (PST)

2005 Ford Explorer XLS 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This car was provided by my employer for work. We have had it in the shop 3 times and going on 4 due to the gas gauge not working. Dealer says Ford knows about the problem and hasn't been able to find a permanent fix and also there are not enough cars with the problem to issue a recall. We were told to try different gas and a fuel additive (said it sometimes works on other ones), problem is employer provides gas via their own gas station which results in us having to pay more for gas, just for the chance that that will correct the problem. Since it is unreliable, I use my own car so I don't get stranded. I would not recommend a Ford product due to them not willing to correct the issue.

My Explorer
By Jennifer on 11/04/05 13:36 PM (PST)

2005 Ford Explorer XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I was driving a minivan, but since I am a younger mom, I wanted something more "my age". I finally talked my husband into an Explorer. I love it. I have a mineral gray one and got the DVD system installed. My kids LOVE it. They call it Dora the Explorer. I love how it handles and the view from the driver's seat.

Ford Believer
By mingo333 on 10/20/05 12:30 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Explorer Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Previous vehicle was a Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited. Thought I would get another one ('05), but changed mind after driving and comparing Jeep and Explorer. (Doesn't hurt that both my husband and son are "Ford men"). Am so happy with '05 that I've already gone to dealership to check into getting an '06. Got good price on Explorer after negotiation, but sure wish I had waited and cashed in on all the incentives that have been occurring lately -- but who knew, right? Also test drove and considered an Acura MDX, Mercedes SUV, Chevy Tahoe, Honda Pilot, Toyota 4-Runner, Cadillac Escalade (in addition to Jeep Grand Cherokee) but the Explorer ultimately won out.

Disappointment!
By ebyers on 09/30/05 23:18 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Explorer XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 5A)

Ford has made 5 attempts at fixing my rear end and 3 attempts at fixing my transmission. This problem has existed for years in many models. Why can't Ford be honest and either fix the problem & stop making substandard vehicles.

Fun to Drive
By Hauler on 09/23/05 12:04 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Explorer XLS Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Enjoy the car. Plenty of storage room and a feeling of confidence when driving. Felt good this winter driving through the snow. Car handles well and am impressed with the engine and transmission.

Sun Roof Problem
By Kevin on 09/23/05 12:00 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Explorer XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Since I purchased the vehicle I've had a rattle in the sun roof. I had it to the dealer and they added some parts that Ford suggested in a bulletin. After the repair the rattle is gone but now it occasionally creaks as I go over bumps in the road. The dealer is going to contact Ford to see if they have any other suggestions.

What a great SUV!
By Best Car I've owned on 09/15/05 16:56 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Explorer XLT Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is by far the best SUV I have owned. I am so in love with the way it drives, the fact that I don't feel like I am going to get blown off the road due to it being "too light" and the room for my children is great! My husband is 6'4" and he has plenty of room in any seat.

My Dream Car
By Miranda White on 09/06/05 12:27 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Explorer XLT Sport Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This was the vehicle I always wanted, and I got exactly what I had hoped for. It gets great gas mileage off the 4.0L V6 and is comfortable and safe to drive. I have the DVD system and my kids love it. My husband even enjoys driving it. I get a lot of comments on the color which is Ford's new Stone Metallic. I would recommend anyone with a family to buy a Ford Explorer.

Ford Swiss Army Knife (Explorer)
By James Eroh on 08/22/05 23:23 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Explorer XLS Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

The only true complaints about my Explorer have to do with why they put carpet in a four wheel drive. Out of the box my Explorer has never left me stuck for more than a minute. I just would back up and charge again! I bought the beast for Sierra snows when my job had me there for a year, but this thing cruises down the interstate so smooth that it is hard for some people to realize just how tough terrain is so easy in the Explorer. I average 19-20 mpg, with the worst being 16 mpg during an off road adventure trip.

The Best for the money
By devdog on 08/22/05 14:25 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Explorer Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Purchased as Ford began their employee pricing plan for all. The Explorer originally wasn't on the list, but I was surprised after driving one. I considered the Pathfinder, 4-Runner and other 6-7 passenger mid-sized SUVs. It accelerated as well, rides as well, handles as well and looks as good as all other truck based SUVs on the market. I don't do any heavy offroading so it is perfect for the fishing trail or snow covered road. I traded an Murano for this vehicle due to problems with the Murano and the fact that it could not handle the occasional fishing trail. I added a NAV system, new air intake and exhaust to complete the package. You can not get a better vehicle for the price.