Used 2005 Ford Explorer Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Ford Explorer - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

Great Car So Far
By Charles

2005 Ford Explorer XLS Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Bought mine a couple of months ago. It's a good solid consistent series of vehicles. I've always had them. Actually had leather put in. Mileage isn't that bad. I got it up to 21.1 after four hours on the highway. Gotta have the leather though. Dealer actually put it in fore me. smooth ride, great interior and though it doesn't display it, it will take e85 ethanol!

The room, comfort, and safety

City mileage of course, blind spots in the rear windows.

Great Vehicle
By richard

2005 Ford Explorer XLT Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Have encountered no problems with vehicle. Maintenance costs are very reasonable, much lower than on our non-Ford vehicle. On recent trip from Colorado at 75-80 mph we averaged 21.4 mpg on regular. City driving averages 17.5 mpg. This is a great vehicle and a great value.

Quiet and dependable.

Power lift tailgate.

Not Nearly As Good As Expected
By michaela

2005 Ford Explorer XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Traded in a 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo that is sorely missed, for the Explorer in 2006. Instantly regretted the decision. The Explorer is not as comfortable or fun to drive. The gas mileage is worse. There is an electrical problem with the lights that the dealer cannot figure out. The dash cannot be fully lit without the "open door" warning coming on. Now, the rear left window has seized in the down position on a Friday night. It is impossible to manually put the window up, so it cannot be secured until Monday! I miss my Jeep!

Third row of seating.

Better gas mileage. Better build and electrical systems.

Going great so far
By Okay for Us

2005 Ford Explorer XLS Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Bought new, no troubles with engine at all. Rear hatch lifters had to be replaced and was done under warranty. My gas mileage runs around 16 mpg mostly in city. Wish it were better!

Comfortable to drive.

Difficult to clean between seats and middle area. Better gas mileage!

Love it so far
By Anonymous

2005 Ford Explorer XLT Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

We've only had this a few weeks but I am completely in love with this vehicle. I had a Toyota Corolla before, and I hated being so low and vulnerable, and putting my daughter in the backseat was always a chore due to its low ground clearance. The Explorer handles amazingly well, and I really like that it's equipped with stability control and has independent rear suspension. The running boards are a great feature, and I really like the leather. Some people had issues with it being poor quality, but our particular vehicle is already 3 years old, and the leather looks to be in great shape still with no cracking or tears. I love the third row seat, and I love how much space there is.

Ride height, turning radius, room surrounding passengers in cabin, third row seating, rear air controls (and air in all three rows)...the adjustable lumbar support is great, too. This really is such a wonderful vehicle.

Maybe gas mileage - but I seem to be getting between 19 and 21 with mostly highway driving...equipping with a class III hitch as stock instead of upgrade would be nice - and rear sensors coming standard would be nice too.