2005 Ford Explorer - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:
Eddie Bauer
By Jim H. on 05/15/06 12:09 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is my first SUV. The Eddie Bauer is a great looking truck, with great interior room and features. I like sitting high and the view over other vehicles.

Great dependable vehicle, bulletproof
By JohnnyMartin on 04/21/06 12:34 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Explorer XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Well I sold my 1997 Ford Explorer with 292,000 that was an excellent car and bought an 05 with 4x4. My job is very hard on my car. I drive up the side of mountains, through mud holes, over steep sharp rocks, and through swampy areas. My Explorer has been in the Rocky Mountains, Nebraska fields, and Wyoming plains in winter covered in snow. I put an average of 40,000 miles a year on my Ford. I now have 62,000 miles and my Explorer has always gotten me home. I hit a large mudhole one night at 3am and spun the truck sideways and i hit a pole, nearly rolled it, smashed 2 windows, my hood, a fender, and 1 tire. I patched the tire and it got me home 30 miles. Very dependable.

The leather seats need to be recalled
By Frost on 02/22/06 16:41 PM (PST)

2005 Ford Explorer XLT Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Overall I enjoy my Explorer, however the leather on my seats is cracking and worn. The interior looks a lot older than a 2005 suv. It looks more like 1994. This is a problem for me because of my line of work and the clients I drive around from time to time. My exterior is always nice and clean. The cracking leather seat take away from my style.

Poor Quality Control
By San Cooper on 02/16/06 23:05 PM (PST)

2005 Ford Explorer XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Ford SUV was my 9th new var, first American car and first SUV. Initially I was very happy with the purchase. After the first service, It is one of the worst buys I have ever done. -Transmission cracked - Brakes failed (replaced pads, rotors resurfaced) - Leather of the seat replaced as it cracked. Number of miles on the SUV is 5800. Will never ever buy FORD vehicle. Very poor quality control.

Just Average
By Jeff on 02/07/06 15:32 PM (PST)

2005 Ford Explorer XLT Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my Explorer about 6 months ago. It's a decent car for the money, though I do have my gripes about it. The biggest problem I have is that the leather seats have already worn a lot, and the car only has 8K miles on it. I had a 2000 Mountaineer with 80K miles on it and those seats were in better condition than this one already. Also, my mom has an SUV with a V8 and she's getting better gas mileage than me ... Ford could stand to take a few notes there.

Completely satisfied
By Rob W on 12/27/05 09:19 AM (PST)

2005 Ford Explorer Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 5A)

I enjoy driving the Explorer when my wife lets me. This is our 5th SUV and 4th Explorer. I tested the Toyota 4Runner and Honda Pilot but chose this truck because I do some towing and have had great success with this model. We cart our 2 golder retrievers around a lot and they seem comfortable when we lower all the rear seats. I'm not necessarily a Ford person since our other vehicle is a Toyota Matrix but I rely heavily on consumer magazines and websites when we are doing research for a new vehicle.

FIRST FORD SINCE 1965 F100
By Catherine on 11/29/05 21:39 PM (PST)

2005 Ford Explorer XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is our first new Ford vehicle since 1965! Prior vehicle to this, 1994 Toyota T100 4x4. Prior to Toyota 1989 Chevy 2500 4x4. Chevy sent us to Toyota, problems galore on the Chevy truck, purchased Chevy, Toyota, and Ford new. Son suggested a Ford for replacement of our Toyota, noting past positive experience with Explorers at his job. Purchased under Ford "Friends and Family" program, Explorer was price of '06 Escape (was going to buy Escape, but no '05's left, and no deal on '06's). What a pleasant upgrade from other vehicles owned in the past. V6 4.0 has lots more power than V6 3.0 the T100 had, plus turning circle is much much tighter.

An Awesome SUV!
By Marcus Auerelius on 11/27/05 22:27 PM (PST)

2005 Ford Explorer XLT Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

My family has had many SUV's, Lexus RX300 (and we now have an Rx330), Toyota 4Runner, Chevy Tahoe, Jeep Grand Cherokee, just to name a few. But I cannot believe just how good the Explorer drives. I wasn't quite sure about buying a Ford, but I was completely blown away when I test drove it. It is so comfortable, the refinement of the engine, transmission, the ride is all wonderful. Ford did a great job on the Explorer and Ii now know why I have seen so many on the road.

Fxi Or Repair Daily
By Phil Garnett on 11/13/05 17:30 PM (PST)

2005 Ford Explorer XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Mine is an '02 that has had a vibration problem that turned out to be a crankshaft that let loose at 40,000 miles. The 6 disc changer has been changed out and needs it again. The 4x4 unit went out early and ABS was at the same time as the rearend that was said to need a ring and pinion and then to find out it was rear bearings. Other small things like seat belts not retracting and the material on the door sides delaminating were only minor nuisances. Like the look.

Ford Explorer
By Geoff on 11/11/05 18:28 PM (PST)

2005 Ford Explorer XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 5A)

Just a very cool car to drive.