2005 Ford Explorer SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:
Dependable
By P. Hardin on 03/23/07 13:31 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Explorer SUV XLT Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Had my Explorer for 2 years. Very dependable. Love the body style. Love leather but the 2005 Explorer leather seats are not good. Cracked and looked unkempt within the first year. Would like to see improved gas mileage. Thought it would be better on the V6 than what I am getting. The V8 does just as well. Would I buy another one? Yep, probably so. Overall I really enjoy my Explorer.

Nice Ride
By Dan on 03/12/07 10:57 AM (PDT)

2005 Ford Explorer SUV XLT Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Having already taken a ride in the Toyota 4Runner (small headroom) and the Chevy Trailblazer (engine whine), I decided to hop into an '05 Explorer. And I'm glad I did. The driving experience is a remarkable upgrade from the '97 Explorer. It's a very easy vehicle to drive and maintain (cheap insurance compared to 4Runner). Also, I'm getting about 19.1 MPG with a 65% highway, 35% city driving experience which is great compared to the Tahoe.

Great Value
By tlc75372 on 01/07/07 19:44 PM (PST)

2005 Ford Explorer SUV XLS Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

All around great value, fun to drive and reliable vehicle. I have looked at many other vehicles including sedans since purchasing this one tempting myself to trade, but every time I come to the same conclusion that my Explorer was a tremendous value and that I would be trading down or drastically overpaying for something else. I don't know if the great deals are still out there but it was impossible at the time for any other dealer to come even close to the price/value of the Explorer XLS.

Ford Girl
By SpeedDemon on 01/03/07 13:13 PM (PST)

2005 Ford Explorer SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

LOVE my Explorer. Tons of spunk, can leave almost any other vehicle sit at a stoplight with my 4.6 v8. Previous cars were a Crown Vic, Mark VIII and a 95 Cougar all with the 4.6 v8, but only a 4 speed tranny. The 5 speed tranny on the Explorer utilizes the power of the 4.6 much more efficiently between 40 & 80 mph. Don't drive much - got this for hauling my birds and cats. The flat fold of the back seat makes hauling all the pet carriers much easier.

05 Ford Explorer XLT V8
By Gary Andears on 12/08/06 16:34 PM (PST)

2005 Ford Explorer SUV XLT Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Since owning our 05 Explorer it has been nothing but a joy. This is our third Explorer and the 05 with the V8 is fantastic. It is all there - ride, comfort, and reliability. The on board computer center says we are getting 17.8 MPG. Not bad since most of our driving is NOT highway miles.

2nd Explorer
By specialawp on 10/27/06 05:02 AM (PDT)

2005 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

The Explorer is all around fun to drive. It handles like a car, but still feels like an SUV. Highly recommend leather!

Never again!
By Jeffrey on 08/26/06 12:53 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Explorer SUV XLT Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

A year ago I traded in a Toyota Camry for a Ford Explorer, a mistake I will not soon forget. Explorer was fine for about 6 months. Since then, I've had a check engine light, ABS light, and Battery Light come on all the time. Dealership has "fixed" the issue twice. Also, there is a noise and vibration coming from under the driver's seat and the dealer cannot figure it out. The leather Ford used in the XLT model is awful - I have cracks everywhere. Also, my wife has a Buick Rainier V8 suv and she gets better gas mileage than I do in a V6...go figure? I will never buy another Ford product, nor do I recommend them to anyone.

Not All That Great
By Jim on 07/28/06 13:10 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Underpowered, fuel eating V-6. Not very comfortable to drive, blinker lights go to signal detent too easily when you select them for changing lanes. R\rear window wiper switch hard to locate and turn on. Power seat buttons hard to operate without opening door. You can feel the torque converter or something like it when you slow down from 70 to 55; same with going down a steep hill. Rear hatch leaks when it rains. All in all in my opinion this is not such a great vehicle for the money.

Awesome!
By Acb on 07/14/06 12:21 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Explorer SUV XLS 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I was pleasantly surprised when I test drove my Ford. It has everything I need or want in a vehicle - with the exception of good gas mileage. I can now take my whole family on road trips! I traded in my 2005 Mustang for the Explorer and I am very happy - they get the same gas mileage anyway - and I will be safer in the winter when I can take full advantage of the 4WD and there is sooo much more room!

Eddie Bauer
By Jim H. on 05/15/06 12:09 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is my first SUV. The Eddie Bauer is a great looking truck, with great interior room and features. I like sitting high and the view over other vehicles.