2005 Ford Explorer SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:
Nice SUV with plenty of power
By HappyDriver on 10/05/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2005 Ford Explorer SUV XLT Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 5A)

Bought Explorer new. No major problems at all. Some small issues, tire pressure sensor malfunction, gas cap sensor cause service soon light on, but nothing worse in 5 years' time. Never stranded or stalled, been most reliable vehicle so far after bad luck with a few GMs, still runs good as new. Gas mileage not bad for V8, avg 16-19 in town & 22-25+ highway. Comfy interior, good layout. Plenty of power with V8, lots of room (7 passengers) but still feels sporty to drive. Great stereo (have the 6-disc w/ MP3 upgrade)! Overall, love this Explorer!

Last Ford I'll ever own
By dale on 04/24/10 12:08 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Explorer SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 5A)

Pretty good vehicle, but Ford refused to work with me on refixing three problems "supposedly" fixed once under warranty. Can't accept this lack of concern for a loyal customer after spending 41k on original purchase. Will just have to shop elsewhere next time. If this is a common practice with other claims, I can see them losing a lot of business.

Don't Buy
By Found On Road Dead on 04/19/10 19:23 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have owned my 2005 Exploder for 2 years. Yeah I said Exploder, because that's what the transmission did. At 39,304 miles and only 5 years old my transmission went belly up. I used to think that these poor reviews were concocted by GM dealers hoping to ruin Fords credibility.Now I have first hand experience with my own transmission nightmare. Stay away from these vehicles. I wasted my time and money babying this vehicle and maintaining all recommended services, because Ford didn't give a diddly squat about my premature transmission failure. By the way there is no dipstick to check transmission fluid levels. Apparently Ford thinks they are bullet proof. HA HA HA HA !

Money Pit
By MissouriEric on 04/12/10 19:34 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Currently, my ABS light, Advance Trac, and 4x4 lights are on so I'm going to have to get that fixed now. In 2007 - wheel bearings (no big deal). In 2008 - motor blew up. Changed oil every 4,000 - 6,000 miles. In 2009 - transmission was rebuilt. Never buying another Explorer. Never had these problems with a Ford before. My family members worked at a Ford assembly plant so I always bought Fords. This may be my last Ford.

Piece-O-Junk
By James on 03/03/10 08:00 AM (PST)

2005 Ford Explorer SUV XLT Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Here it comes!!! Window sticks, tail light plug breakes, handle on driver seat breakes off, engine skips (new plugs/wires= no change) TRANNY Stinks!, hard shifting into rev & 2-3. (Changed fluid w/ synth & additive= Helped for 2 months but back to same!, Drivers rear wheel bearing went out 64K mi, ($489), Squeaks in front suspention all the time, Radio cuts itself up (I do not have steering wheel cntls), Cds will not eject=New radio from ford=Warranty=Same problems, Dampers broken under dash that work airflow=plastic pieces broken=fix w/drill & metal nut bolt, overhead cnsol fell off=again plastic mount broke=Epoxy repair. Tire sens bad

Great SUV
By Mike Otting on 12/25/09 18:09 PM (PST)

2005 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

We have had the vehicle for almost 4 years now and almost 78k miles and have had no complaints. We went to the dealer once for noise coming from the front of the vehicle and the dealer new exactly what it was and fixed it on an oil change. Something with the sway bar bushings. We have four kids and the room for seven is great. Here in the midwest we can get some good snow storms and this vehicle can get around with ease. The mileage could be alittle better. We get anywhere from 16-19 mpg depending on the time of the year. Our other vehicle is a 09 Sienna which we love as well, but I can certainly feel more quality with the Toyota, but for what we paid on the explorer it was a great buy

Transmission problems
By Car owner on 12/05/09 06:17 AM (PST)

2005 Ford Explorer SUV XLS Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

We purchased the vehicle new 4 years ago. We had not had any problems until recently when the car started to stall upon ignition. The transmission light came on and the problems have now begun. We have 146,000 miles on the SUV and really expected to get more before any major problems. Per conversation with Ford service department and an independent transmission company, the prognosis is the torque converter and TCC solenoid (valve body). The cost to repair is $2700 to $6500 before taxes. It is amazing after reading so many reviews that the same problem is evident in the majority of the reviews from those with 70,000 miles or more. We had a Ford car with similar problems before. No more Ford

Lemon
By alebt on 11/19/09 09:00 AM (PST)

2005 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 5A)

This is our second Explorer and unless we get one for free, our last. The transmission went out at 35,000. The 4WD computer failed at 40,000. The bearings are bad at 45,000. The back hatch has cracked. It has been a miserable money pit. Had we had much other choice in small V8 we would have selected differently. Ford needs to really upgrade quality and reliability in this model.

Will buy another
By US Car faithful on 10/17/09 06:19 AM (PDT)

2005 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Purchased used with 33,000 miles now have 88,000 I have had no problems at all. 20 miles per gallon w/air and 18 city. Change oil every 3000 miles. Air does blow on my feet though when it is put on upper flow only. Runs great good pickup to pass when air off. Will purchase another. Had Chevy Lumina and had to replace engine at 100,000 miles, Had Buick Regal had continuous problems Had 2003 Implala some problems and traded in on the 05 Explorer. Glad I did.

Won't have another one...
By ryan on 09/10/09 10:57 AM (PDT)

2005 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Overall, the vehicle has been pretty reliable, but the transmission has been horrible from the get-go. It kicks real hard when going into reverse and response time is super slow at all times. Rear windows stick at times. A crack suddenly appeared next to the ford logo on the back. Have since noticed several other explorers with the same crack. This was my first new vehicle and has not left me with a good impression of American vehicles.