2005 Ford Explorer SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:
Never a problem
By Richard on 02/12/05 13:29 PM (PST)

2005 Ford Explorer SUV XLT Rwd 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 5A)

I have purchased 3 Ford Explorers since 2002 and have not had a problem with any of them. They are by far the best autos I have ever owned. I plan to buy new ones when these are 4 years old. Just super autos. All three autos are still working super.

My First SUV
By PauletteSpears on 02/09/05 21:22 PM (PST)

2005 Ford Explorer SUV XLT Sport Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is a comfortable and easy to handle SUV with excellent road mileage -- has been taken on numerous trips back and forth to beach (approx. 300 miles round trip). Excellent cargo space and comfortable seating for up to 7 people.

From C5 'vette fo 05 Explorer
By pathfinder on 01/26/05 00:08 AM (PST)

2005 Ford Explorer SUV XLS Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Living in the Texas Hill Country made driving my C 5 Corvette a lot of fun, but I got tired of being surrounded by huge SUVs and pickups. A base Explorer seemed to be the safe, not too big and not too expensive, choice. Making an SUV attractive is sort of like putting earrings on a hog. You can only hide so much ugly, but Ford did a commendable job with the Explorer.

Best Explorer I owned
By Ron on 12/31/04 12:28 PM (PST)

2005 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 5A)

This is my 3rd Explorer, and the best one yet. Ford did their homework on this one. I ordered it with the V8 and am getting 17.5 MPG overall. Very happy with the vehicle and highly recomend it to anyone.

Delight to drive
By nopolsky on 12/29/04 17:06 PM (PST)

2005 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I was especially surprised how well the stability control worked in the snow. We got a ton of snow recently and when I looked out the window I began to regret not getting the 4x4 option. Anyway, out in the snow I went... The explorer's RSC option kept the veh going in a straight line without swerving and tight in the corners without the rear going out. I was really pleased, why didn't Ford have this before.

excellent
By karen on 12/29/04 08:26 AM (PST)

2005 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

we love our explorer!! we went from a station wagon to an suv and we could not have picked a better vehicle. only negative is the gas mileage. we love the third row seat and the convience of getting in and out of it.

safe,practical and fun
By texprof on 12/13/04 18:30 PM (PST)

2005 Ford Explorer SUV XLS Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I drive two vehicles, my C5 Corvette and an SUV. I had a 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee, but I never really warmed up to it. It leaned a LOT in curves and gave poor gas mileage. Front leg room was inadequate. The interior was very nice and the highway ride was fine. My 2005 Explorer rides much better, is quicker (though relative when referring to SUVs), and handles far better than my Jeep. It is quiet, smooth riding and has a super stability system. It has more cargo room than the Jeep. Gas mileage is very good for an SUV. I have averaged 21.6 in mixed driving. The Jeep I6 gave me 16 -17 mpg. The five speed automatic is smooth and seems to anticipate my next move. I like my explorer.

2005 Explorer XLT Sport --A Winner!!!!!!
By Rick In VA on 11/28/04 15:38 PM (PST)

2005 Ford Explorer SUV XLT Sport Rwd 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 5A)

After having two previous Explorers, we decided to test drive some other 2005 brands to compare. Toyota 4- Runner-next best. Nissan Pathfinder- loud engine and tire noise and rode like a truck!! BMW X-5-what were those Germans thinking? Noisy and harsh ride!! Mercury Mariner- a beefed up Escape,harsh ride and small. Land Rover LR-3,let me buy a lake cabin instead! None of these would compare to the ride quality, noise insulation and overall handling tightness of the 2005 Explorer. Then add the 4.6 V-8 and it is true perfection. Status symbol(NO), but you keep your radical fender flares and tri-star emblems on your foreign SUV's. As for me I'll keep my Ford!!

Best midsize SUV
By Kerwin Chan on 11/24/04 11:49 AM (PST)

2005 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

So far the best SUV i have own and driven... better than the toyota rav4, mitsubishi montero... excellent buy for a fully loaded eddie bauer edition.

ford explorer eb 2004
By ann hatton on 11/15/04 22:09 PM (PST)

2005 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

very good truck, rides like a car. priced a little high just because of eb package but the dealer was willing to deal.