Used 2005 Ford Explorer SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Ford Explorer SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

Completely satisfied
By Rob W

2005 Ford Explorer SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 5A)

I enjoy driving the Explorer when my wife lets me. This is our 5th SUV and 4th Explorer. I tested the Toyota 4Runner and Honda Pilot but chose this truck because I do some towing and have had great success with this model. We cart our 2 golder retrievers around a lot and they seem comfortable when we lower all the rear seats. I'm not necessarily a Ford person since our other vehicle is a Toyota Matrix but I rely heavily on consumer magazines and websites when we are doing research for a new vehicle.

Space, power, and interior layout.

Accelerator is touchy and can squeal the tires when pulling into traffic from a dead stop. Also, the rear cargo deck is not completely flat with the seats folded down.

FIRST FORD SINCE 1965 F100
By Catherine

2005 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is our first new Ford vehicle since 1965! Prior vehicle to this, 1994 Toyota T100 4x4. Prior to Toyota 1989 Chevy 2500 4x4. Chevy sent us to Toyota, problems galore on the Chevy truck, purchased Chevy, Toyota, and Ford new. Son suggested a Ford for replacement of our Toyota, noting past positive experience with Explorers at his job. Purchased under Ford "Friends and Family" program, Explorer was price of '06 Escape (was going to buy Escape, but no '05's left, and no deal on '06's). What a pleasant upgrade from other vehicles owned in the past. V6 4.0 has lots more power than V6 3.0 the T100 had, plus turning circle is much much tighter.

Looks elegant, has XLT appearance package, reminds me of the Limited. I love all of the features to "assist", power pedals, auto headlamps, park assist, and the tight turning circle. Bill Ford CEO taking no salary since Ford loosing money, WOW, hats off to him.

Better fuel economy from the v6 ... but then I never had this "instant fuel economy" readout on any other car, and never measured the MPG. So I think the T100 was about the same, I thought it too had poor fuel economy.

An Awesome SUV!
By Marcus Auerelius

2005 Ford Explorer SUV XLT Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

My family has had many SUV's, Lexus RX300 (and we now have an Rx330), Toyota 4Runner, Chevy Tahoe, Jeep Grand Cherokee, just to name a few. But I cannot believe just how good the Explorer drives. I wasn't quite sure about buying a Ford, but I was completely blown away when I test drove it. It is so comfortable, the refinement of the engine, transmission, the ride is all wonderful. Ford did a great job on the Explorer and Ii now know why I have seen so many on the road.

FUN TO DRIVE, leather seats, clever storage compartments, traction control works great. Driving position.

The gas mileage (shocker isn't it?) is the only thing, but everything else about the car outweighs my one complaint.

Fxi Or Repair Daily
By Phil Garnett

2005 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Mine is an '02 that has had a vibration problem that turned out to be a crankshaft that let loose at 40,000 miles. The 6 disc changer has been changed out and needs it again. The 4x4 unit went out early and ABS was at the same time as the rearend that was said to need a ring and pinion and then to find out it was rear bearings. Other small things like seat belts not retracting and the material on the door sides delaminating were only minor nuisances. Like the look.

Drink holders only have rubber bottoms and need a sleeve to be completely removed for cleaning.

Ford Explorer
By Geoff

2005 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 5A)

Just a very cool car to drive.

Automatic seating position & DVD.

Average 10mpg not good.