2005 Ford Explorer SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:
Ok except for the transmission
By whizkidcat on 09/03/11 09:50 AM (PDT)

2005 Ford Explorer SUV XLT Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

We bought our Explorer in 2005 new. It ran great for 36,000 miles. It now has 68,000 miles. The best gas mileage we have gotten is 18 hwy/11 city with a constant average of 14.6. NOT very desirable. No repairs, just regular maintenance for 3 years. Shortly after 36,000 miles we had problems with the reverse: going into reverse and going from reverse into drive. It would take about 3 to 5 seconds for the gears to catch and move the car. After a new transmission everything else started to go wrong. Interesting that until we took it to the dealer we had no other problems! The blinkers work intermittently, the rear windows work sometimes or NOT and the leather is cracking sides/edges.

Meh
By wwrx2 on 06/20/11 18:02 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Explorer SUV XLT Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

We bought our used '05 explorer in late 2006. It is an XLT model with the V6. It does NOT have four wheel drive. So far,it has been an okay form of basic transportation. The interior is boring. Ditto for the exterior. As time has gone on, more things have broken on it,but that's what happens with older cars,so you can't quite say it's a money pit. The fuel economy is below average but not appalling. The worst parts are clearly the ride and the A/C. In Florida,the A/C is the most important feature in any car. Also-the CD player randomly swallowed a disc and won't spit it out. This was an attractive car in '06 but now you would probably be better off setting fire to your money.

Piece-O-Junk
By James on 03/03/10 08:00 AM (PST)

2005 Ford Explorer SUV XLT Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Here it comes!!! Window sticks, tail light plug breakes, handle on driver seat breakes off, engine skips (new plugs/wires= no change) TRANNY Stinks!, hard shifting into rev & 2-3. (Changed fluid w/ synth & additive= Helped for 2 months but back to same!, Drivers rear wheel bearing went out 64K mi, ($489), Squeaks in front suspention all the time, Radio cuts itself up (I do not have steering wheel cntls), Cds will not eject=New radio from ford=Warranty=Same problems, Dampers broken under dash that work airflow=plastic pieces broken=fix w/drill & metal nut bolt, overhead cnsol fell off=again plastic mount broke=Epoxy repair. Tire sens bad

Disenchanted
By WannaFord? on 07/06/09 11:17 AM (PDT)

2005 Ford Explorer SUV XLT Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased my Explorer (XLT-V8) new back in 2005, and had a great time with it the first two years. Then last year, started noticing the truck would "lurch" when shifting gears, or going into reverse. It was out of warranty when I took it in to the dealer to have the transmission looked at and was told it would cost me at least $2500 just to have the solenoid replaced and the transmission inspected, with potential additional costs. Took it to Aamco and had the transmission rebuilt. Runs great now, but now the AC comes and goes and cruise control is fickle. Have dumped about $5 grand into it in the last 6 months, and am now looking at trading it in for a Toyota!

No More Fords
By Mr. Unhappy on 06/21/09 15:38 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Explorer SUV XLT Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

As long as I was not putting too many miles on my Ford, it seemed like a decent vehicle. Now that I have been driving regularly the past six months major problems have occured. First the seat started rocking back and forth, then the transmission started slipping between 2nd and 3rd,now the real winner, the serpentine belt pulley on the harmonic balancer has separated and the belt coming off. Apparently all inherent problems with this vehicle from what I read on the internet.Dealer wants two arms and a leg to fix. Next car; anything but a Ford, GM or Chrysler.

My first New Car
By Sheilah99 on 10/29/08 02:05 AM (PDT)

2005 Ford Explorer SUV XLT Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

We bought this new in 2005 and had in shop several times during 36,000 mi warranty for a variety of reasons. Dealership unable to identify weird sound from rear wheel, brakes that comes on after long trips. Decent mileage on road/city: 22/17. Have also experienced rear windows sticking and not able to open in hot TX summer, but working fine now in cooler fall (dealership ignored problem when reported). Now that we're fitting two baby carseats in car, we wish we had more room in backseat so that front seat doesn't have to be pushed forward to fit infant seat. Leather has been great, but experiencing cracking on front seat at sides. Had to replace dealer stereo to accomodate ipod hook- up.

Great Vehicle
By richard on 06/19/08 19:36 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Explorer SUV XLT Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Have encountered no problems with vehicle. Maintenance costs are very reasonable, much lower than on our non-Ford vehicle. On recent trip from Colorado at 75-80 mph we averaged 21.4 mpg on regular. City driving averages 17.5 mpg. This is a great vehicle and a great value.

Love it so far
By Anonymous on 03/29/08 12:48 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Explorer SUV XLT Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

We've only had this a few weeks but I am completely in love with this vehicle. I had a Toyota Corolla before, and I hated being so low and vulnerable, and putting my daughter in the backseat was always a chore due to its low ground clearance. The Explorer handles amazingly well, and I really like that it's equipped with stability control and has independent rear suspension. The running boards are a great feature, and I really like the leather. Some people had issues with it being poor quality, but our particular vehicle is already 3 years old, and the leather looks to be in great shape still with no cracking or tears. I love the third row seat, and I love how much space there is.

Not Bad
By TXGuy on 10/21/07 19:26 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Explorer SUV XLT Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have owned my XLT for 2.5 years. It has 41,000 miles on it. Nothing mechanical has broke down. The leather seats were replaced at 34,000 miles due to excessive cracking..no questions asked by Ford. The original Michelin tires had to be replaced at 30,000 miles. It has been a good car. There is a weird vibraton noise under the driver's seat. I have not had any other issues...handles like an SUV, but still a good contender for the mid- size SUV buyer. I might consider the Toyota 4Runner next time simply because it keeps its value better.

Dependable
By P. Hardin on 03/23/07 13:31 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Explorer SUV XLT Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Had my Explorer for 2 years. Very dependable. Love the body style. Love leather but the 2005 Explorer leather seats are not good. Cracked and looked unkempt within the first year. Would like to see improved gas mileage. Thought it would be better on the V6 than what I am getting. The V8 does just as well. Would I buy another one? Yep, probably so. Overall I really enjoy my Explorer.