Used 2005 Ford Explorer XLS Sport SUV Consumer Reviews - 3 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Ford Explorer SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

Awesome Explorer
By christine

2005 Ford Explorer SUV XLS Sport Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I've had my Explorer about a week now :) and it's awesome. It's a great ride. I'm nice and high up and can see EVERYTHING! I love the message center, since I'm totally inept when it comes to automotive things; like checking the levels -- it checks levels for me! The interior is beautiful, I have cloth seats, no bells or whistles really, but even the basic is great. I'm still on my tank from the dealer, and I'm kind of scared to fill her up, but since I'm gaining safety and height I guess it's ok. And it is a midsize SUV after all, wouldn't expect to fill up for $30. And it's not bad, it makes you take it easy. So basically, while there are these family plans, go out and get an Explorer! You'll love it!

Most definitely the message center, height, CD player and cup holders .

FORD, please help with the gas mileage! Otherwise, nada.

Excellent Value for the Money
By tlc75372

2005 Ford Explorer SUV XLS Sport Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Far superior to previous generations of Explorers; independent rear suspension, gyro roll, yaw, and traction control, digital fuel mileage and remote tire pressure sensing (little transmitters in the valve stems) are features you just can't find for less than $21,000 with the great deals going on right now. Nimble, fun to dive and so quiet at idle, I have to look at the tach to make sure its running. Highway mileage (22.5) is OK, but it will take years to worry about it with the fabulous discounts they're giving right now. Having owned over 50 cars, I'm not blowing smoke when I recommend this one for the money. Great time to walk away on some old junk, especially if you have cash.

Roll, yaw and traction control.

Another 2 mpg.

Texas Explorer
By Austin

2005 Ford Explorer SUV XLS Sport Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

For the money, you cannot beat this SUV. It is quiet, fast, and safe.

Good size. Bigger than my Grand Cherokee. Turning Radius is great. Good stereo. Like the running boards also. For the money, you get a lot of options.

MPG could be better.