Used 2005 Ford Explorer XLT SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Ford Explorer - Consumer Reviews

2005 Ford Explorer SUV

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

Most Helpful|
Piece-O-Junk
By James

2005 Ford Explorer SUV XLT Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Here it comes!!! Window sticks, tail light plug breakes, handle on driver seat breakes off, engine skips (new plugs/wires= no change) TRANNY Stinks!, hard shifting into rev & 2-3. (Changed fluid w/ synth & additive= Helped for 2 months but back to same!, Drivers rear wheel bearing went out 64K mi, ($489), Squeaks in front suspention all the time, Radio cuts itself up (I do not have steering wheel cntls), Cds will not eject=New radio from ford=Warranty=Same problems, Dampers broken under dash that work airflow=plastic pieces broken=fix w/drill & metal nut bolt, overhead cnsol fell off=again plastic mount broke=Epoxy repair. Tire sens bad

Favorite Features

Stability Control. Saved me one night when I almost hit a deer. (But I wish it would had flipped and totaled it if I would not gotten hurt though)

Suggested Improvements

Ford! Recall them for trans problems at least! I will never never never buy a Ford again!

Ok except for the transmission
By whizkidcat

2005 Ford Explorer SUV XLT Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

We bought our Explorer in 2005 new. It ran great for 36,000 miles. It now has 68,000 miles. The best gas mileage we have gotten is 18 hwy/11 city with a constant average of 14.6. NOT very desirable. No repairs, just regular maintenance for 3 years. Shortly after 36,000 miles we had problems with the reverse: going into reverse and going from reverse into drive. It would take about 3 to 5 seconds for the gears to catch and move the car. After a new transmission everything else started to go wrong. Interesting that until we took it to the dealer we had no other problems! The blinkers work intermittently, the rear windows work sometimes or NOT and the leather is cracking sides/edges.

Favorite Features

The SUV is leather seats are comfortable in back and front. Lots of leg room for me in back, not so much my tall husband. I like the look of the SUV. I like the dash, NO sun reflection!

Suggested Improvements

Better gas mileage! The new HD trucks get better gas mileage! Quality leather. Better made transmission.

Meh
By wwrx2

2005 Ford Explorer SUV XLT Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

We bought our used '05 explorer in late 2006. It is an XLT model with the V6. It does NOT have four wheel drive. So far,it has been an okay form of basic transportation. The interior is boring. Ditto for the exterior. As time has gone on, more things have broken on it,but that's what happens with older cars,so you can't quite say it's a money pit. The fuel economy is below average but not appalling. The worst parts are clearly the ride and the A/C. In Florida,the A/C is the most important feature in any car. Also-the CD player randomly swallowed a disc and won't spit it out. This was an attractive car in '06 but now you would probably be better off setting fire to your money.

Favorite Features

Seats 7,big.

Suggested Improvements

Fuel economy,driving fun,ride,stereo,reliability,interior,air conditioning

No More Fords
By Mr. Unhappy

2005 Ford Explorer SUV XLT Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

As long as I was not putting too many miles on my Ford, it seemed like a decent vehicle. Now that I have been driving regularly the past six months major problems have occured. First the seat started rocking back and forth, then the transmission started slipping between 2nd and 3rd,now the real winner, the serpentine belt pulley on the harmonic balancer has separated and the belt coming off. Apparently all inherent problems with this vehicle from what I read on the internet.Dealer wants two arms and a leg to fix. Next car; anything but a Ford, GM or Chrysler.

Favorite Features

Does not run, but it looks good doing it, not too mention I'm still paying.

Suggested Improvements

Ford should try more customer service then lip service.

Disenchanted
By WannaFord?

2005 Ford Explorer SUV XLT Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased my Explorer (XLT-V8) new back in 2005, and had a great time with it the first two years. Then last year, started noticing the truck would "lurch" when shifting gears, or going into reverse. It was out of warranty when I took it in to the dealer to have the transmission looked at and was told it would cost me at least $2500 just to have the solenoid replaced and the transmission inspected, with potential additional costs. Took it to Aamco and had the transmission rebuilt. Runs great now, but now the AC comes and goes and cruise control is fickle. Have dumped about $5 grand into it in the last 6 months, and am now looking at trading it in for a Toyota!

Favorite Features

Room...Oodles and oodles of room. Acceleration is awesome. Exterior styling is great!

Suggested Improvements

Transmission is awful. Fix the Cruise Control.