Used 2005 Ford Explorer XLS SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Ford Explorer - Consumer Reviews

2005 Ford Explorer SUV

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

Transmission problems
By Car owner

2005 Ford Explorer SUV XLS Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

We purchased the vehicle new 4 years ago. We had not had any problems until recently when the car started to stall upon ignition. The transmission light came on and the problems have now begun. We have 146,000 miles on the SUV and really expected to get more before any major problems. Per conversation with Ford service department and an independent transmission company, the prognosis is the torque converter and TCC solenoid (valve body). The cost to repair is $2700 to $6500 before taxes. It is amazing after reading so many reviews that the same problem is evident in the majority of the reviews from those with 70,000 miles or more. We had a Ford car with similar problems before. No more Ford

Favorite Features

We do not have any favorite features. It is just a normal SUV with a truck ride.

Suggested Improvements

Rear air More car like ride Better interior design

Great Car So Far
By Charles

2005 Ford Explorer SUV XLS Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Bought mine a couple of months ago. It's a good solid consistent series of vehicles. I've always had them. Actually had leather put in. Mileage isn't that bad. I got it up to 21.1 after four hours on the highway. Gotta have the leather though. Dealer actually put it in fore me. smooth ride, great interior and though it doesn't display it, it will take e85 ethanol!

Favorite Features

The room, comfort, and safety

Suggested Improvements

City mileage of course, blind spots in the rear windows.

Going great so far
By Okay for Us

2005 Ford Explorer SUV XLS Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Bought new, no troubles with engine at all. Rear hatch lifters had to be replaced and was done under warranty. My gas mileage runs around 16 mpg mostly in city. Wish it were better!

Favorite Features

Comfortable to drive.

Suggested Improvements

Difficult to clean between seats and middle area. Better gas mileage!

Great Value
By tlc75372

2005 Ford Explorer SUV XLS Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

All around great value, fun to drive and reliable vehicle. I have looked at many other vehicles including sedans since purchasing this one tempting myself to trade, but every time I come to the same conclusion that my Explorer was a tremendous value and that I would be trading down or drastically overpaying for something else. I don't know if the great deals are still out there but it was impossible at the time for any other dealer to come even close to the price/value of the Explorer XLS.

Favorite Features

Integrated Advance Trac, full time traction control and antilock braking system.

Suggested Improvements

10% increase in fuel efficiency.

Back on Explorer
By Ed

2005 Ford Explorer SUV XLS Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I had for Explorer for 5 years until my wife totaled the car. After driving a minivan for 4 years after that, I just purchased a Explorer. It is a very nice ride. Mechanically is good. It could use a little more details in the inside. However I am satisfied with the truck.

Favorite Features

Driving experience. Handling.

Suggested Improvements

Interior could use more details. Example, add back pockets in seats.