Used 2005 Ford Explorer SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Ford Explorer - Consumer Reviews

2005 Ford Explorer SUV

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

2005 xlt with over 190,000 miles
By vegasq1

2005 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

My explorer is great. It now has 190k miles and no issues. I keep it meticulously maintained with scheduled maintenance and oil changes. I hope it keeps it up for my 12 yr old in 4 years.

2005 FORD EXPLORER XLT
By jeff279

2005 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 5A)

This is one of the best suv's we have ever owned! We have owned it for 4 yrs and no problems at all Only thing we have done is a battery and alt. Starts no matter how cold. Great on snow Alot of room for a xlt. Great value Love the all wheel drive

Favorite Features

Loaded...moonroof xlt

Suggested Improvements

Maybe a dvd player

Now Scared and Confused
By gespin

2005 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Bought my 2005 Explorer XLT in 2006 with 18K miles on it. My wife drives it for the most part and only has 76K in Jan 2014; it is and has been the PERFECT vehicle. A Utah to Texas trip once a year and normal driving in the city. Prior to reading some of the horror stories below I slept well at night but I will toss and turn tonight. I bought it expecting similar reliability as I did with my '93 F-150 which gave me 225K miles before I sold it but will now look over my shoulder. I do maintain it religiously though, hopefully that explains my experience I can only hope.

Favorite Features

Perfect except for lack of USB or MP3 interface which was not available in 2005.

Suggested Improvements

None. (maybe 200K miles with same results)

Kinda Like My Explorer
By tigger22

2005 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I got my explorer as a second vehicle because I was trying to keep my miles low on my 2009 Mazda 6 SI sport fully loaded. At 97K and for my engine to be running as well i t does, I made a good decision. Disadvantage is my transmission doesn't switch as quiclk as my mazda but I deal with it. I wove how I could go outside in the snow and no one else can drive like I can. Overall its a good secondary car and as long as its good to me , ill be good to it.

Favorite Features

The 4X4 is one of the best features about it.

Suggested Improvements

Better turnover on transmission.

Explorer does work but is no Jaguar
By bonschmidt

2005 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Recently hit 116k miles. I started driving it around 112k. I drive this SUV as hard as I drive my 2001 Jaguar XJ8. I whip it around corners, accelerate hard, weave it through the twists at high speeds and the Explorer takes it all pretty well... but doesn't give me feedback like the Jag does. It doesn't react, and driving is not enjoyable as much as it is scary. I freak out and feel like I'm losing control of it, something I've never experienced in the XJ8. But the Explorer is resilient. The transmission has handled my coasting-in-neutral practice, high speed travels and incessant shifting well. With my driving style, abominable gas mileage is not just occasional, its expected.

Favorite Features

Backseat windows go all the way down! No safety stop! Inexpensive to repair. Tows well. Easy to clean.

Suggested Improvements

Better gas mileage. More responsive.