Used 2005 Ford Explorer XLT Sport Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Ford Explorer - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

My Dream Car
By Miranda White

2005 Ford Explorer XLT Sport Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This was the vehicle I always wanted, and I got exactly what I had hoped for. It gets great gas mileage off the 4.0L V6 and is comfortable and safe to drive. I have the DVD system and my kids love it. My husband even enjoys driving it. I get a lot of comments on the color which is Ford's new Stone Metallic. I would recommend anyone with a family to buy a Ford Explorer.

DVD entertainment system, leather interior, moonroof, keyless entry, curtain airbags system, roll stability system. I have too many to list. I also love the color (Stone Metallic).

I would recommend one thing. Place a trunk latch button in the inside front driver's side of the vehicle.

Not a lemon yet
By scottk_61

2005 Ford Explorer XLT Sport Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

We bought the vehicle and were unable to even leave the dealership. It died right there. The dealership replaced the complete fuel system at Ford's advice which seemed to take care of the problem. Now at 8000 miles, the rear end is shot as well as transmission problems and axle bearing problems. The vehicle is beautiful and rids very nicely ... when it runs.

Body design and interior are great. Very good leather work.

Fix the rear end on these, I have seen 7 other '05s in for service with rear end problems.

Better Then All Domestics & some Imports
By Ed

2005 Ford Explorer XLT Sport Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

For the price (MRSP $35,300), purchased for $25,454; that can't be beat. Very well built compared to any domestic brand. The only other SUV I would consider over this would be the Honda Pilot, but that costs more for the same features and no rebates. Second Ford, not sure of any problems, the 1st (Mustang '04 GT) had a few. Do hear a weird whinny/whistling sound from time to time and only has 1200 miles in two months so it worries me. Found two interior bits not well attached. The GT was plagued with that too.

Nice looking 17" rims, interior, exterior. Standard MP3 player! Not too small, and not big. Almost perfect size.

Some cheap plastic interior bits, the length & width should be increased by 1' & 6" for more cargo & decrease the nose by 1'. My '05 Odyssey V6 has more power than the V8 not to mention more room for the same price. Ford should also make the third row & auxiliary A/C standard at least on XLT on up.

My First SUV
By PauletteSpears

2005 Ford Explorer XLT Sport Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is a comfortable and easy to handle SUV with excellent road mileage -- has been taken on numerous trips back and forth to beach (approx. 300 miles round trip). Excellent cargo space and comfortable seating for up to 7 people.

Cargo space, third row seat, fuel economy, running board for easy entrance access.