2005 Ford Explorer - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:
Transmission problems
By Car owner on 12/05/09 06:17 AM (PST)

2005 Ford Explorer XLS Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

We purchased the vehicle new 4 years ago. We had not had any problems until recently when the car started to stall upon ignition. The transmission light came on and the problems have now begun. We have 146,000 miles on the SUV and really expected to get more before any major problems. Per conversation with Ford service department and an independent transmission company, the prognosis is the torque converter and TCC solenoid (valve body). The cost to repair is $2700 to $6500 before taxes. It is amazing after reading so many reviews that the same problem is evident in the majority of the reviews from those with 70,000 miles or more. We had a Ford car with similar problems before. No more Ford

Great Car So Far
By Charles on 06/24/08 09:01 AM (PDT)

2005 Ford Explorer XLS Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Bought mine a couple of months ago. It's a good solid consistent series of vehicles. I've always had them. Actually had leather put in. Mileage isn't that bad. I got it up to 21.1 after four hours on the highway. Gotta have the leather though. Dealer actually put it in fore me. smooth ride, great interior and though it doesn't display it, it will take e85 ethanol!

Going great so far
By Okay for Us on 05/08/08 07:17 AM (PDT)

2005 Ford Explorer XLS Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Bought new, no troubles with engine at all. Rear hatch lifters had to be replaced and was done under warranty. My gas mileage runs around 16 mpg mostly in city. Wish it were better!

Great Value
By tlc75372 on 01/07/07 19:44 PM (PST)

2005 Ford Explorer XLS Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

All around great value, fun to drive and reliable vehicle. I have looked at many other vehicles including sedans since purchasing this one tempting myself to trade, but every time I come to the same conclusion that my Explorer was a tremendous value and that I would be trading down or drastically overpaying for something else. I don't know if the great deals are still out there but it was impossible at the time for any other dealer to come even close to the price/value of the Explorer XLS.

Back on Explorer
By Ed on 07/10/05 21:40 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Explorer XLS Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I had for Explorer for 5 years until my wife totaled the car. After driving a minivan for 4 years after that, I just purchased a Explorer. It is a very nice ride. Mechanically is good. It could use a little more details in the inside. However I am satisfied with the truck.

Great Vehicle for 20K
By Jim on 05/31/05 08:29 AM (PDT)

2005 Ford Explorer XLS Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

There are a lot of reviews bashing some really minor points about this car. But, face it, this is just looking for reasons to complain. For $22K or less you get a solid, safe well built, good looking car. I use mine for towing a bass boat and it is like the boat is not even there. This car puts all other SUV's to shame in terms of value for money. Ok, it does not have a chrome plated steering wheel. Who cares. Go pay an extra $15k and you can have one along with the high priced maintenance. You can't go wrong. I love my Explorer.

What you would expect.
By Rick on 05/18/05 17:32 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Explorer XLS Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Right now the deals on these are unbeatable. For the price you need to pay to get into one of these there is nothing out there that can touch it. It has an average-above-average rating as a mid-size SUV at a small car price.

From C5 'vette fo 05 Explorer
By pathfinder on 01/26/05 00:08 AM (PST)

2005 Ford Explorer XLS Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Living in the Texas Hill Country made driving my C 5 Corvette a lot of fun, but I got tired of being surrounded by huge SUVs and pickups. A base Explorer seemed to be the safe, not too big and not too expensive, choice. Making an SUV attractive is sort of like putting earrings on a hog. You can only hide so much ugly, but Ford did a commendable job with the Explorer.

safe,practical and fun
By texprof on 12/13/04 18:30 PM (PST)

2005 Ford Explorer XLS Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I drive two vehicles, my C5 Corvette and an SUV. I had a 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee, but I never really warmed up to it. It leaned a LOT in curves and gave poor gas mileage. Front leg room was inadequate. The interior was very nice and the highway ride was fine. My 2005 Explorer rides much better, is quicker (though relative when referring to SUVs), and handles far better than my Jeep. It is quiet, smooth riding and has a super stability system. It has more cargo room than the Jeep. Gas mileage is very good for an SUV. I have averaged 21.6 in mixed driving. The Jeep I6 gave me 16 -17 mpg. The five speed automatic is smooth and seems to anticipate my next move. I like my explorer.

What If
By Draco on 09/11/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2005 Ford Explorer XLS Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Wouldn't it be nice if automobile manufacturers got back to satisfing a customer and not just making money. The Ford Explorer is an ok, suv but unless you want to spend the extra 5-10k for the eddie bauer eddition the XLS is not worth your money.