2005 Ford Explorer - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:
2005 xlt with over 190,000 miles
By vegasq1 on 06/10/14 19:35 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

My explorer is great. It now has 190k miles and no issues. I keep it meticulously maintained with scheduled maintenance and oil changes. I hope it keeps it up for my 12 yr old in 4 years.

2005 FORD EXPLORER XLT
By jeff279 on 03/17/14 05:13 AM (PDT)

2005 Ford Explorer XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 5A)

This is one of the best suv's we have ever owned! We have owned it for 4 yrs and no problems at all Only thing we have done is a battery and alt. Starts no matter how cold. Great on snow Alot of room for a xlt. Great value Love the all wheel drive

Now Scared and Confused
By gespin on 02/06/14 23:10 PM (PST)

2005 Ford Explorer XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Bought my 2005 Explorer XLT in 2006 with 18K miles on it. My wife drives it for the most part and only has 76K in Jan 2014; it is and has been the PERFECT vehicle. A Utah to Texas trip once a year and normal driving in the city. Prior to reading some of the horror stories below I slept well at night but I will toss and turn tonight. I bought it expecting similar reliability as I did with my '93 F-150 which gave me 225K miles before I sold it but will now look over my shoulder. I do maintain it religiously though, hopefully that explains my experience I can only hope.

Kinda Like My Explorer
By tigger22 on 03/11/13 10:10 AM (PDT)

2005 Ford Explorer XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I got my explorer as a second vehicle because I was trying to keep my miles low on my 2009 Mazda 6 SI sport fully loaded. At 97K and for my engine to be running as well i t does, I made a good decision. Disadvantage is my transmission doesn't switch as quiclk as my mazda but I deal with it. I wove how I could go outside in the snow and no one else can drive like I can. Overall its a good secondary car and as long as its good to me , ill be good to it.

Explorer does work but is no Jaguar
By bonschmidt on 02/21/12 17:54 PM (PST)

2005 Ford Explorer XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Recently hit 116k miles. I started driving it around 112k. I drive this SUV as hard as I drive my 2001 Jaguar XJ8. I whip it around corners, accelerate hard, weave it through the twists at high speeds and the Explorer takes it all pretty well... but doesn't give me feedback like the Jag does. It doesn't react, and driving is not enjoyable as much as it is scary. I freak out and feel like I'm losing control of it, something I've never experienced in the XJ8. But the Explorer is resilient. The transmission has handled my coasting-in-neutral practice, high speed travels and incessant shifting well. With my driving style, abominable gas mileage is not just occasional, its expected.

Ok except for the transmission
By whizkidcat on 09/03/11 09:50 AM (PDT)

2005 Ford Explorer XLT Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

We bought our Explorer in 2005 new. It ran great for 36,000 miles. It now has 68,000 miles. The best gas mileage we have gotten is 18 hwy/11 city with a constant average of 14.6. NOT very desirable. No repairs, just regular maintenance for 3 years. Shortly after 36,000 miles we had problems with the reverse: going into reverse and going from reverse into drive. It would take about 3 to 5 seconds for the gears to catch and move the car. After a new transmission everything else started to go wrong. Interesting that until we took it to the dealer we had no other problems! The blinkers work intermittently, the rear windows work sometimes or NOT and the leather is cracking sides/edges.

Solid Truck & Tow Vehicle
By tbill2 on 08/19/11 11:02 AM (PDT)

2005 Ford Explorer Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 5A)

We bought this vehicle to tow a 5,500lb boat and it does it easily and safely. We had bad reliability previously with a Ford Windstar and were reluctant to buy Ford again. But the Explorer fit into our garage (vs. the competing & huge GM products with 3rd row seating), had more than adequate tow specs, and had a nimble feel due to the independent supension. 6 yrs and 70,000 miles later we couldn't be happier. It has required only minor repairs, oil, brakes, etc. It rides smooth and quiet at xway speeds and is a powerful tow platform (glad we bought the V8). Gas econ is 16 - 18 which is acceptable given the fact that this is actually a heavy body-on-frame truck vs. the hybrids which are n

Meh
By wwrx2 on 06/20/11 18:02 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Explorer XLT Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

We bought our used '05 explorer in late 2006. It is an XLT model with the V6. It does NOT have four wheel drive. So far,it has been an okay form of basic transportation. The interior is boring. Ditto for the exterior. As time has gone on, more things have broken on it,but that's what happens with older cars,so you can't quite say it's a money pit. The fuel economy is below average but not appalling. The worst parts are clearly the ride and the A/C. In Florida,the A/C is the most important feature in any car. Also-the CD player randomly swallowed a disc and won't spit it out. This was an attractive car in '06 but now you would probably be better off setting fire to your money.

Paint Peeling
By GG on 11/15/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2005 Ford Explorer XLT Rwd 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 5A)

Do not buy a 2002-2005 Ford Explorer. Had I read the reviews on the internet under "peeling paint" I would not now own the vehicle with peeling paint along the front hood. It is bubbled and peels off in sections the size of 50 cent pieces. It looks terrible. Mine is not peeling on top or back (YET) but many, many are. The company refuses to do anything about the peeling problem. There are even some articles saying it is about the paint oxidizing and causes it to peel. Still no help from dealerships or company. A five year old car should not be peeling- -no rust the paint is just falling off in chunks. It looks awful! Never will buy another Ford!

Solid Reliable Truck
By john on 10/14/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2005 Ford Explorer XLT Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 5A)

We've had the truck since 06 with 20,000 miles we now have 100,000 and have only changed the fluids on it regularly. We had one issue with the heating dial on the dash, but otherwise has been one of the most reliable and solid SUV's we've ever owned including our Toyota and Nissan. We'll probably just keep it, put another 100k on it and pass it on to our kids!