Transmissions & Rear Differentials
By Rusty on
2004 Ford Explorer Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 5A)
I purchased my 2004 Explorer Limited V8 new and have had it back at the dealer more often for repairs than any vehicle I have ever owned. It needed a new rear differential at 32,000 miles, a new transmission at 58,000 miles, and now another new rear differential at 68,000 miles. 68k miles in 7 years isn't exactly hard driving and I haven't ever towed anything. Ford covered the first rear rebuild but the other repair payments came from my ever shrinking wallet. The dealer's service guys are like "oh, yea, those things break all the time". Well, they shouldn't. When will Ford honor its commitment to its customers - "At Ford Quality is Job 1" was their slogan, wasn't it?
Favorite Features
Nice exterior lines and interior appointments. Powerful motor! Paint has held up well on mine.
Suggested Improvements
Recall these models for transmission repair/replacement and rear differential replacement. Spend the time and money to design the repair to last the life of the vehicle, please. Don't just put in the same defective design. This is what needs to be done to keep your customer base from shrinking.
By flyhigh1988
on 07/03/14 20:42 PM (PDT)

I agree with you...I see you wrote you review in 2010. I have heard about these rear diff issues. Someone told me about a upgraded part for these, did the dealer not recommend this? I have a 2004 with 124K on it and no issues. Bought it at 40K as well...maybe they replaced the rear diff before I bought it who knows.