2004 Ford Explorer Consumer Review: Takes a lickin' - BUT doesn't

2004 Ford Explorer SUV - Consumer Review

Takes a lickin' - BUT doesn't keep tickin'
By Artanis68 on

2004 Ford Explorer XLS Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

We bought this car new and noticed around 80,000 miles things started to go wrong shortly thereafter. 2003 & 2004's are notorious for the ball joints going bad fast. We spent $700 on the front end and then around 109K the back differential going bad. Many Ford forums will tell you that after 80K miles your going to have a lot of expenses as things will begin to go bad in these cars FAST. I personally experienced this as ours started to go downhill very quickly. Traded it in for a Toyota 4Runner - a car that will go well past 100K miles and keep on tickin'.

Interior features on this car are nice and we had a DVD player, leather seats and power everything. The leather sadly began to breakdown and look really worn and faded after about 50K miles. Plenty of power outlets for your electrical devices.

Quality, Quality, Quality. I have heard in recent years Ford has made great strides in this area, but as for me I am still leery of any American Made car. I have owned Toyota's, Nissan's and never experienced the disappointment I have with American made vehicles.