2004 Ford Explorer Consumer Review: My 2004 Explorer

2004 Ford Explorer - Consumer Review

XLT 4dr SUV (4.0L V6 FFV 5-speed Automatic)

My 2004 Explorer
By 2004 Ford Explorer on

2004 Ford Explorer XLT Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I've had my Explorer for 3 years. It has 29,000 miles. It's been a good vehicle and I purchased it because of the great success I had with my '99 Explorer. I've been to the dealer for 3 problems. First was the rear differential. Second was rust on the the front edge of the hood. Hood replaced and repainted. Third was the front wheel bearings. All repairs fell under warranty except for bearings. Starting to have some concerns with transmission. Some lag with shifting and occassional noise being produced. Found many tranny complaints on the web. Good vehicle.

3rd row seat. Excellent high beams and fog lights. 2nd and 3rd row A/C. Good turning radius. Exterior design is favorite of all explorers. Comfortable seats. Stereo sounds good. Nice ride.

Location of power seat controls are hard to get to. Radio controls could be improved. Reclining 2nd row seats would have been nice. Cargo area isn't flat when 3rd row is down. Cargo cover should be standard for all models. Improved visor mirror. Our visor covers don't stay up. Very annoying.