Ford vehicle
By Kathy on
2004 Ford Explorer XLS Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)
I purchased this vehicle w/40,000 mil. on it. Had to return to dealer within 1 month with transmission problems. The transmission has had problems ever since. All the dash lights keep coming on from abs, airbag, 4wd to engine light. Rear end problems as well as bearings. I loved my first explorer which was a 95 and I never replaced a thing, drove it to 200,000 mil and it still ran. This vehicle is a lemon, I hate it. Can't wait to replace it. Side mirrors don't work, back up alarm doesn't work, tranny slips, noisy and has been to the garage 2 times for quitting and not re-starting. I know many people with the same problems as mine. I feel the ford quality has really slipped!
Favorite Features
I like the fact that it moves well in the snow. Never had a problem getting stuck. Tows small trailer well.
Suggested Improvements
Transmission, rear end, bearing. Many other problems that really need addressing.
By flyhigh1988
on 07/03/14 20:32 PM (PDT)

Did they recommend the upgraded rear diff part? Transmission problems, what were they? Also what was wrong with the mirrors as well as back up alarm??? Thank you, Iv had mine for 5 years...yes it has cost me a little money but I plan on keeping it until I total it lol. I would like to know the fixes to these issues for in the future.