2004 Ford Explorer SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:
Ford Explorer XLT
By Steve Crane on 04/04/07 13:14 PM (PDT)

2004 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Good Gas mileage for class of vehicle. I love the 3rd row seat, and roomy interior. I have had no mechanical problems with this vehicle.

Made a great decision!
By Walter on 03/19/07 13:38 PM (PDT)

2004 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I love this vehicle. The reliability is great! I get 19 mpg overall and consider that decent for the type of vehicle I am driving. I tow a boat with no problem at all. The ride is complementary and the overall service this vehicle provides makes it a pleasure to own. I did have a transmission recall but that was taken care of immediately and the service dept was quite respectful. The ride is comfortable, the vehicle is easy to drive and control in inclement weather and (With Caution) I feel very safe on the road. I made a great purchasing decision and plan to keep this SUV for some time to come. I would not hesitate to buy another in the future.

Great Truck
By JD on 03/13/07 15:13 PM (PDT)

2004 Ford Explorer SUV XLS Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Great SUV so far - 47000 miles and still going, I still have the original tires with more miles to go. No problems since day 1.

Bad Transmission
By WV Driver on 12/12/06 17:58 PM (PST)

2004 Ford Explorer SUV NBX 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

My explorer is 3 years old and has 48K miles. The transmission went out - totally. The cab is cramped, there is little leg room for a 5"10" man, and your feet freeze on the passenger side. There is too much engine noise on the passenger side. The gas mileage is poor. Did I mention the transmission burnt up - totally ruined? From now on I am sticking with reliable ole' GMC!

tyrannical tranny
By lisa on 11/12/06 04:53 AM (PST)

2004 Ford Explorer SUV XLT Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Had this vehicle less than 2 years and with only 62k miles it needs a new transmission. Of course the warranty is expired. All of the mechanics are aware of this problem with the 2004 tranny - and apparently so is Ford Motor Company!

Purchased Used
By Tim on 10/13/06 11:51 AM (PDT)

2004 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased this, Ford certified, truck with just 15k miles. V8 has decent power but not overwhelming. I like the V8 in the newer (06) Explorers, however the ridiculous interior door release & handles prohibited me from buying the newer model. Good room, quiet & smooth ride. Some ergonomic quirks though. 2nd and 3rd row seats don't fold flat, interior door release take time getting used to. Build quality is about average.

Ford Explorer
By mattnkathy1 on 09/23/06 08:18 AM (PDT)

2004 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I drive 23 highway miles one way to work. The Explorer handles 70mph comfortably. Over 70mph and fuel economy suffers. 4 wheel drive works great in both full time and auto. People always say "nice truck" when riding in my truck for the first time.

Me
By JW on 09/09/06 10:02 AM (PDT)

2004 Ford Explorer SUV XLS Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

So far nothing but carefree driving. Getting about 18 mpg in the city and 21 on the highway...not bad for an suv.

2004 Ford Explorer XLT
By onthego on 06/07/06 08:33 AM (PDT)

2004 Ford Explorer SUV XLT Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This vehicle is as good looking as any other out there. The quality is good, better than Mountaineer, but the ride is not as good as it could be (maybe because of the ATV tires that it came with). The gas usage is less than the window sticker using 89 octane. Overall it is not a bad vehicle and I am not sorry I purchased it. Ford has a problem with rear view outside mirrors shaking when driving down highway, hard to see behind vehicle, especially on windy day.

Never Again
By mcook30512 on 06/02/06 14:51 PM (PDT)

2004 Ford Explorer SUV XLT AWD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

40,000 miles and the transmission went. $3,900 to repair. I have been reading of too many similar occurrences with these vehicles so I would never consider buying another.