Used 2004 Ford Explorer SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Ford Explorer SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

Rear Differential Failure - regret it!
By janev115

2004 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This car has always run rough - particularly the engine. Transmission had to be replaced when the car was less than a year old. The engine always had a loud whine on the highway and I had intermittent problems with the ABS light coming on and the 4x4 high light flashing. Turns out, this is all related and the entire rear differential needs to be replaced! A google search reveals that I am not alone. However, I am alone when it comes to paying the bill to fix this problem, apparently. I'd never buy this car again. Right now at 79,900 miles, but the whine has been going on for years. I just thought it was a loud truck.

Fix the rear differential problem. Make the drivers seat more comfortable.

2004 Ford Explorer Orig. Sticker Price?
By Yankeeboy1

2004 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I just purchased a pre-owned 2004 Ford Explorer XLT, 4x4, sunroof, V-8, 3rd seat, DVD, CD, running boards, keyless entry, all options, last owner had memo title in glove box stating purchase price of $46,029.17? Could this be correct? This no where near came up to this on any sites I looked at? Anybody validate this original price for me on an 2004 Explorer?

Sunroof and V-8 engine

Nothing to say at this point

Performance SUV for the family
By GP

2004 Ford Explorer SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Bought used with 38K two years ago. 53K now. Love the sound of the V8. Strong acceleration. Surprised by how well it handles. Pretty nimble for its size. Lots of convenient features. My kids love the DVD entertainment system. Rear parking sensor is nice but just went. Need to repair.

Looks. V8 power. Handling. Very comfortable ride. Curtain air bags. Chrome wheels look great, especially at night. 3rd row seat.

Better paint quality. Transmission could be smoother at low speeds.

Still Getting My Money's Worth
By WNYFordGuy

2004 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

My Dad recommended it because of the rebates/incentives/Z-plan discount. I was sold on the 3rd-row seat and very smooth ride. 52k miles later, I haven't been disappointed - it's been great for hauling kids/equipment to sports events, camping trips, and my short commute to work on our rough winter roads. Its interesting to read the other reviews - how can you complain about fuel economy (I get 15-16 MPG) when you run a heavy SUV with a relatively powerful 4.0 V6? I have no qualms about the tranny (though it whines in extreme cold at certain RPMs), even if it 'clunks' into reverse occasionally. I agree that the rear hatch trim is lousy. For what I paid, its been a pretty good value.

See above, plus: great exterior styling, awesome CD/cassette sound system, super-bright high-beams, extremely comfortable/roomy interior, temperature/compass display.

I wish this had a 5-spd manual transmission like the 97 XLT I previously owned. This SUV does eat brakes - fronts completely replaced at 26.5k & 50.5k. I think the quality of the 'genuine' FoMoCo parts is getting poorer; things like glass hatch hinges, trim, and front wheel bearings are lousy.

No Complaints
By Moorebuilder

2004 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Bought this Explorer in '05 for the third row seats and 4-wheel drive in Michigan. The v-8 is an exceptionally smooth powerplant that has not given us any trouble. The traction control system is nice for the icy roads, and I feel very good that my wife and kids use this vehicle as their daily driver with all of the airbags, the 4wd, traction control and overall heft of the vehicle. We also tow a 22' boat with it and it makes an excellent tow vehicle. (The towing package spoils us) Overall, I haven't had to take it to the shop yet and I do standard maintenance on it myself.

Heated Seats, 3rd row seating, wonderful V-8, comfortable to drive. Love the tow package.

Access to the seat heat buttons is a bit cumbersome (dashboard or console, please) Woeful gas mileage. Would love a flex fuel. The wheels are spalling near the hubs. (Aluminum would be better).