Used 2004 Ford Explorer SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Ford Explorer SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

One year in, and still enjoying it.
By JR

2004 Ford Explorer SUV XLS 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I had a 1995 Explorer when I was in high school and it had been awhile since I'd had an SUV so when we had the great gas crisis of 2008 I thought I could get into another one cheaply. Since I was buying used, I didn't care what the resale value was and this Explorer was a deal I couldn't pass up. It's been trouble free and very handy.

Rear hatch - love having the extra-large glass hatch. Door design - never get my pant legs dirty entering/exiting the vehicle. Controls - everything is logically placed.

A cancel button for the cruise control!!!! Also, the transmission leaves a lot to be desired. It doesn't downshift or upshift when I'd like it to, making awkward shifts as well as uncomfortable clunks and revs. This engine would be much more responsive with a better transmission.

Horrible, Horrible, Horrible...
By Lindsay

2004 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Save yourself money and do not buy this. I have spent $9K in trying to keep my truck running. This is my second explorer. The first I shelled out $4K on a new engine. This one, I spent $9K rewiring it, replacing the transmission, etc. I am devastated but will never, ever buy a ford again.

Lemon
By Beth

2004 Ford Explorer SUV XLS Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased this vehicle as a work vehicle. It had minor problems until I hit 35,000 miles. It took Ford 3 tries to get a working rear end which lasted only another 30,000 miles. A number of idiot lights went bad, and now paint is peeling off the roof and the rear end is again making noise. This was my first and last Big 3 auto purchase.

Ford needs to step up to the plate for problems with these vehicles. 36K warranty is not acceptable for the problems this vehicle has.

Paint flys off in sheets off of roof
By haasis3

2004 Ford Explorer SUV XLS Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Our experience with Ford and this Ford Explorer has made us decide not to purchase any more Ford vehicles. This vehicle has had problems with warning lights showing up when there is no problem (started happening the very first month!), after 4 years the paint on the roof peeled off in sheets down to the bare metal and then rusted. Ford would have nothing to do with it (talked to Customer Service, the Ford body shop and dealership in SC). They wanted just under $1000 to repaint it even though it is obviously a flaw in the manufacturing and I have seen other reports on the internet. Also, now after 4.5 years, the gear shift indicator showing if you are in Park, Reverse, Drive doesn't work.

Size.

Customer Service. Standing by the quality of their manufacturing. Gas Mileage (currently only get 14).

interior is great, mechanically its junk
By danny

2004 Ford Explorer SUV XLT Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

needed a SUV for the family loved it for the 1st 3 years,then the transmission, the rear lift gate, the CD player, the brakes, the back seat all went to hell. Ford wont recall and repairs are to expensive. Have always been a Ford guy, no more, going with toyota or Nissan, maybe a GMC. Would not recommend this vehicle to anyone, the transmission is not reliable at all. Although the interior is comfortable and easy to use, mechanically its not worth it

interior. seating is comfortable

Transmission, CD player, rear seat latches, rear lift gate, frnt brakes

• SUV