2004 Ford Explorer - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:
I love my Explorer!
By Christina on 08/13/07 11:54 AM (PDT)

2004 Ford Explorer XLT Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

For an SUV the mileage is pretty good. Had a recall issue about six months in, but they fixed it without a problem and have had no problems since. I put a lot of miles on my car and it has held up well with nothing but general maintenance. I would recommend an Explorer to anyone.

Monochrome Black Rocketship Eddie Bauer
By Commander on 08/11/07 17:02 PM (PDT)

2004 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Great Truck, great V-8 economy. It's fun to drive, sounds great roaring up to speed, and hits 60 in just about 8 seconds. Factory tires began to dry-rot after 3 years and 35k miles, replaced with Michelins, averaging 18.5 mpg. I wish RSC was available prior to the '05 model. I wish we had rear a/c in the AZ summers. I love the factory sound system in the Eddie Bauer. I'm glad I didn't pop for the 4x4. Friend with an '05 4.0 4x4 is only averaging 15 mpg.

Should have bought extended warrenty
By mlogan03 on 07/25/07 21:38 PM (PDT)

2004 Ford Explorer XLS Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased my 2004 Explorer new in December of 2003. I bought the basic XLS model and planned on using it for the short drive to work and the occasional trips out of town. It has been reliable until just last week when the ABS light, Service Engine, and the wrench light all came on at the same time. The cruise control also failed. The throttle body had to be replaced along with the rear wheel speed sensor. The vehicle has 32,000 miles and has been driven with care. Somewhat disappointed with the vehicle. Fortunately the Ford Service here was quite professional and had the vehicle back running in a couple of days.

An Okay SUV
By Al on 07/19/07 16:01 PM (PDT)

2004 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Don't get me wrong I love my Explorer but I have had problems with the transmission when putting it into reverse - the engine produces a big bang noise. Ford claims that they can't replicate the problem although other Explorer owners have told me they deal with the same problem. Another problem that I face is when I fill up the car's tank, the fuel indicator dosen't respond and sometimes looks like a clock moving all over the place ^_^ im trading it in.

Poorly Designed AC
By LA on 07/02/07 13:30 PM (PDT)

2004 Ford Explorer XLT Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I must start by saying I live in South Louisiana. Auto AC is critical for comfort. AC is a must about 340 days out of the year down here. Bought it used w/ 16K miles have about 22K. Purchased in the fall so didn't have the sweltering heat to truely test the AC when purchased. Noticed this summer the AC just wasn't cooling the cab off. Feels cold at the vent. Brought to dealer who said the same thing. Unfortunately, nothing can be done since nothing found (all levels in check). I'll be looking for a trade soon. Overall comfortable. Leather interior is nice. Paneling and rest of interior is just OK. Rides very well for SUV

Stay Away at all costs
By Stephanie on 05/31/07 05:39 AM (PDT)

2004 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

From day one I had problems with the radio. Now at 64,800 miles they think it blew a rod and needs a new engine! I am a 37 year old mother of 3 that drives to and from school, practices, etc. I still owe $9K on the truck and will need to put in an additional $6500 to get it running again. Oh, and Ford will warranty its new engine for 75K but not the one with the car originally --stay away. Obviously there is a defect with this engine. I am calling Ford to see what they will do. Unbelievable! I will never, never, never buy a Ford again. And this was my third one in 10 years!

Timing chains broke
By Lee on 05/30/07 06:26 AM (PDT)

2004 Ford Explorer XLT Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have had this SUV for just over 3 years, and in that time it's been in the shop for electrical panel shutdown (3 times!), and is now in for major engine repair - two timing chains busted, only 65000 miles. Of course the warranty is up, and will cost over $3K to fix! When it's back from the shop (four weeks now) I am trading it in for a Toyota, before the tranny goes too!

Not a bad truck
By SN190498 on 05/29/07 14:53 PM (PDT)

2004 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

The ride quality is surprisingly good for a truck chassis. Ours has not had any technical issues except for the incorrect transmission oil debacle. The rear axle does have a binding problem (2WD) which hopefully will be resolved with changing the axle fluid. Turning left or right from a standstill results into a rattling vibration. Only regret is not having the canopy airbag system. It is difficult to comprehend that Ford toutes this safety system and then builds so many cars without it. Overall this was not a bad purchase in early 2004 since there was less competition. If we would buy another SUV today we would get a Hyundai Santa Fe or similar.

Still Happy
By Jd on 05/05/07 14:11 PM (PDT)

2004 Ford Explorer XLS Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Just coming up to 50,000 miles, not much to complain about. Still have original tires and brakes on the vehicle. Needs a little more refinement on the inside. The 2007 took care of that otherwise still happy.

My 2004 Explorer
By 2004 Ford Explorer on 04/20/07 03:27 AM (PDT)

2004 Ford Explorer XLT Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I've had my Explorer for 3 years. It has 29,000 miles. It's been a good vehicle and I purchased it because of the great success I had with my '99 Explorer. I've been to the dealer for 3 problems. First was the rear differential. Second was rust on the the front edge of the hood. Hood replaced and repainted. Third was the front wheel bearings. All repairs fell under warranty except for bearings. Starting to have some concerns with transmission. Some lag with shifting and occassional noise being produced. Found many tranny complaints on the web. Good vehicle.