Used 2004 Ford Explorer SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Ford Explorer - Consumer Reviews

2004 Ford Explorer SUV

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

2004 xlt two wheel drive 4.0 v-6
By BFR

2004 Ford Explorer SUV XLT Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

bought used with 12000 miles on it in 2005. I now have 92000 10/28/09. I had one front wheel bearing go out. changed the hub assembley myself was not to hard but cost was $200.00.New tires at 86000 miles, and never rotated the tires once, and they wore even. Gas milage 15/16 city 21/22 highway.I run mobil 1 oil and change every 6000 miles.My wife drives it 80% of the time , and loves it. I coach baseball and have plenty of room to haul everything.No complaints

Favorite Features

dvd for the kids on trips.

Suggested Improvements

maybe a little more room side to side.

What a waste!
By Jennifer

2004 Ford Explorer SUV XLS 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Ok so I bought my explorer NEW Paid way to much and now 5 years later I am still paying for it both payments and over whelming repairs! I have gone thru 3 rear ends, 2 water pumps, 4 sets of tires because of there state of the art anti-slip crap eats tires right of the thing. Rear windsheild wiper caught on fire yes smoke and flames because it over heated called Ford they don't care! Needs another rear end, and now a cam! I have nothing nice to say about Ford anymore! My whole family owned Ford vehicals and the last one is out the door, whats even funnier is my father the Ford man just bought an 86 Dodge pickup runs better then any of the Fords he has ever owned! Explorer 108,000 miles on it

Favorite Features

CD player is still working!

Suggested Improvements

Needs a total over haul Ford needs to go back to its roots and start building cars the way they use to! To LAST!

CRAP
By Mad

2004 Ford Explorer SUV XLT Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Week #1 I had to return vehicle to dealer because the tranny slipped. Over the course of 4 years (till the warranty expired) it was back 8 times due to tranny probs. It was not until I got the States Attorney's office involved did Ford repair it. Since then I've had to have a rear differential/axle seal replaced, the left rear wheel bearing is shot and now I cannot drive it because the harmonic balancer imploded! Ford say that they cannot sell a replacement because there is a National shortage....approx 5,000 suv's need the part and non are avail (manufacter went belly up). I found one in a junk yard! Oh yea, the cruise control was a recalled and replaced. Still doesn't operate.

Favorite Features

Interior and ride with 17" wheels.

Suggested Improvements

Ford should recall the trannys, the differential (replace the 2 piece seals with the single piece seal) and recall the harmonic balancers (before the main bearings and seals explode!

Ford Explorer Trouble?
By JoeLyn

2004 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is the second Ford Explorer that we have owned. I'm not sure that there will be a third. Our 2004 explorer has had the timing chains replaced, the paint is coming off in sheets from the top, the heater would not work until we had work completed on it, now we just replaced the valve lifters. What's next???? We are heart sick. Does Ford not back their vehicles any better than that. My husband and I planned to wait until later to buy a new vehicle. It probably will not be a Ford. Too bad, I have always like the style of the Explorer.

Favorite Features

I love the size and the color. It is very comfortable.

Suggested Improvements

I suggest that Ford back their vehicles. They need to actually recall defects such as the heater problem and the paint problem. Obviously, we were not the only ones with this problem. I even called a Ford dealership and I was told, "You must own a white or silver explorer. That happens to them."

One year in, and still enjoying it.
By JR

2004 Ford Explorer SUV XLS 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I had a 1995 Explorer when I was in high school and it had been awhile since I'd had an SUV so when we had the great gas crisis of 2008 I thought I could get into another one cheaply. Since I was buying used, I didn't care what the resale value was and this Explorer was a deal I couldn't pass up. It's been trouble free and very handy.

Favorite Features

Rear hatch - love having the extra-large glass hatch. Door design - never get my pant legs dirty entering/exiting the vehicle. Controls - everything is logically placed.

Suggested Improvements

A cancel button for the cruise control!!!! Also, the transmission leaves a lot to be desired. It doesn't downshift or upshift when I'd like it to, making awkward shifts as well as uncomfortable clunks and revs. This engine would be much more responsive with a better transmission.