2004 Ford Explorer SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:
Not built like they used to be
By Irate Owner on 04/04/08 09:34 AM (PDT)

2004 Ford Explorer SUV XLT AWD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I own two Explorers. The 96 (used) I loved and subsequently bought used 04. So far on the 04 I have had to relace the hood (pitted and rusting); Tranmission problem corrected under recall; Differential and air conditioning just after warranty expired even though the problems were showing before but problems could not be found? I will likely buy Honda or Toyota next purchase

Great- But Drinks Gas!
By Ashley on 03/28/08 15:40 PM (PDT)

2004 Ford Explorer SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I love this car. It's great for a family of 4. It's very roomy, and has a large storage area in the back. Only 2 bad things is that it drinks gas and I wish I could lock my hatchback opener on the keyless entry pad. Sometimes going down the road, touch it and it flys open..

Look elsewhere
By spence on 03/26/08 19:46 PM (PDT)

2004 Ford Explorer SUV XLT Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Clunks going into reverse, rear bangs when making sharp corners, front end shakes even with brand new premium tires, rotors warped making brakes pulsate, front end squeaks when going over bumps, rear gate low quality....rattles continually, engine feels disconnected from gas pedal, sliding moonroof cover falls off track, CD's get jammed in player every time, factory speakers are junk. I had a '96 Explorer for ten years. It was the best vehicle I ever owned. So I figured I'd get another after the other was trouble- free for all those years. What a mistake. Stay clear of these vehicles.

Starting to have small issues
By DW on 03/19/08 15:42 PM (PDT)

2004 Ford Explorer SUV XLS Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Still drives like new at 63000 miles however had to have the water pump replaced and right after pulling out from the dealer about a week later my engine light went on they claimed it would cost $700 for the repairs but the SUV still ran great! Um I wonder after complaining and basicly stopping short of accusing them for this, I dropped it off at the dealer and after picking it up the light now goes off after starting the vehicle! Ummmm I wonder if I was not mechanically inclined person I would of paid the $700?

Love it, minus the transmission problems
By cpdewey on 03/04/08 08:32 AM (PST)

2004 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I absolutely love this vehicle and would like to keep it forever. Smooth drive, great visibility, spacious inside, and still looks great. Unfortunately I am having transmission problems. After the vehicle is warm, going from drive to reverse causes the transmission to slam into gear when I hit the gas. Of course I am out of warranty. Same issue 2 years ago, Ford fixed under warranty, but now not sure if they will help me out. Still waiting to hear, but fix is supposed to cost $2200 to $2700. Yikes! I am also disappointed that the value of my truck has dropped so much. My last Explorer held its value. Maybe the rise in gas prices is part of the problem.

Poor Tansmission Reliability
By compgen25 on 10/21/07 13:04 PM (PDT)

2004 Ford Explorer SUV XLS AWD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have owned this Explorer for 3 yrs now and have nothing but problems with this transmission. In my opinion the transmission is very unreliable. I have returned it to the dealer on 6 occasions now with no resolution. Overall the vehicle is good but with the tranmissions problems I would not recommend this vehicle to friends.

Great
By gordie580 on 10/04/07 11:22 AM (PDT)

2004 Ford Explorer SUV Limited AWD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I love this vehicle. The power is great with the 4.6 triton V8. The AWD feature is great for people who doesn't understand how to operate 4wd.

Missed my old Explorer
By myford on 10/02/07 14:32 PM (PDT)

2004 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Well I must say the XLT with a V8 and all the bells and whistles is a steal when buying used! It works great, V8 is powerful, leather interior great when you have kids, so is the 3rd row seat. This is the best buy I've made...51k miles and going.

Lovin' it!
By Carmen on 08/27/07 05:11 AM (PDT)

2004 Ford Explorer SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my Explorer used with 15,000 miles on it. It's a pearl white limited. It's truly the best looking vehicle on the road. I've had a few problems with it(paint chipped, transmission needed to be rebuilt, seals leaked and rocker arms needed to be replaced) However, my husband and I relate it to the fact that it sat, undriven, for an extended period of time. I've owned many different types of vehicles (Chevy, Honda, Chrysler) but I always go back to Ford. I've had problems with the autos but, overall, they're the best value for the money.

I love my Explorer!
By Christina on 08/13/07 11:54 AM (PDT)

2004 Ford Explorer SUV XLT Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

For an SUV the mileage is pretty good. Had a recall issue about six months in, but they fixed it without a problem and have had no problems since. I put a lot of miles on my car and it has held up well with nothing but general maintenance. I would recommend an Explorer to anyone.