Used 2004 Ford Explorer SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Ford Explorer SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

How long should plastic last?
By rks

2004 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 5A)

We have had overall good luck with our Explorer. The major problem is that many plastic parts have failed which require costly fixes. Both plastic anchors on the right and left sun visors broke which resulted in the complete replacement of the visors. The plastic lift ring on the floor cover broke which required a whole new cover. The most annoying piece of plastic that has broken twice ($350) has been the plastic panel just below the rear window. I have noted that many Explorers are driving with this piece broken. Ford has a "policy" not to replace them which leads me to believe that Ford is not living up to its reputation as customer friendly.

Roomy, good engine and provides a good ride.

The rear hatch back has been modified over the years with the plastic trim eliminted.

Transmission Problems
By Matt

2004 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 5A)

I bought this car with 40,000 miles on it and with service records. 6 months later the Transmission was shot and I spent $2,300 having that rebuilt. 18 months after that the Transmission is starting to slip and the service engine light is on. All I want to do is trade in this hunk of junk for something that isn't going to make me worried that I am going to have to drop $2,000 every year or so on repairs.

2004 ford explorer
By ford guy

2004 Ford Explorer SUV XLT Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 5A)

I have a 2004 Ford explorer I bouth it in 2005 with only 25,000 miles five years later this car has been great to me so far I did have a ac/motor problem but it was covered under the warranty. I have done every maintenance that is recommended to this car and I do believe that it will last a lot longer. My parents have a 2005 explorer with almost 200,000 miles on it and only had problem with window motor. I would grade this car a A-.

I like that fact that the all wheel drive will kick in when the explorer begins to slip. Also the room with four of us this explorer fits us great.

gas mileage haha..

2004 Ford Explorer
By 2004 Ford Explorer

2004 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I can not believe that my explorer would be more reliable than my 2003 Toyota corolla. i bought this car from a friend and it had 360,000 miles. i got a tug for it only for 1 year because i thought it wouldn't last more than 1 year. The car still runs perfect and the handling in this car is amazing for an SUV. to keep this car perfect like this all you need is to do maintenance on time. i cant believe it didn't break down on me for the way i push this car. i just took it from Fairfax Virginia to Jacksonville North carolina 6 hours drive with 360k miles and its still FINE!! you see alot of Honda and Toyota in US but guess what do you see the most in Europe ? FORD!!!

Handling, Engine, Power, CD player still works

Interior design and quality

2000 better than 2004
By Nighthawk779

2004 Ford Explorer SUV Limited AWD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is my third Explorer and my last. My 2000 has been the best of the 3 2000 03 &04, All 3 had the transmission rebuild, but only the 2000 has had nothing else repaired. Everything works as well as new over 205,000 miles on it now. The engines have never been a problem until now. We now have electical and rear end noise now. The 2000 pulled trailers boats and what you could get on the bumper with no effort. I wish they would bring back sun visor recorder. Also the 2nd sun visor. But I am looking at Highlanders now. 3600 for a new transmission had me looking for a different manufacturer. P.S. we did change trasmission fuild every fluid at 30,000 at the dealer no less.

heated mirrors, sef dimming mirror. The ability to go off road at a moments notice. Great clearence

better seat belt retractors always getting stuck in door. transmission needs attention