2004 Ford Explorer SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:
Best Explorer I ever had
By Doug on 02/23/09 07:02 AM (PST)

2004 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is my 4th Explorer that I have had since 1995. It is the best one yet, not that the others were problems. I bought it with 10000 miles on it and it now has 141000 miles and is going strong. I try to change the oil every 4000 miles and take care of it. My brakes lasted 75000 miles and the tires were changed at 90000 miles. At 131000 miles I got a tune up and changed the transmission fluid. A wheel bearing went out at 135000 miles. Other than that everything else in the car is the same as when I bought it. This SUV seems like it will run forever. I keep thinking of getting another 2004 with less miles, but this Explorer has been so good, I don't think I will. 21mpg on the highway

Defective Rear Differential Design
By Joetta Campbell on 02/15/09 13:31 PM (PST)

2004 Ford Explorer SUV XLT AWD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I've had the rear differential/pinion gears replaced 3 times, but the loud whine from the grinding rear-end gears continues to return after a few thousand miles. I was finally told that this is normal, and wouldn't pose a problem, but the grinding noise has now gotten too loud to drown out with the radio. My research into this problem has led me to discover it's a very common problem due to Ford's design flaw (the soft aluminum housing expands at a different rate than metal gear assembly). I've also learned the rear end will eventually seize; just pray it's not on the expressway with your children on board. After 1yr/12000 miles, you're stuck paying >1.5K for another temporary fix. Too bad enforcement of consumer protection was gutted in 2001, as the well-known rear-end design problem of these vehicles has gone unchecked. Ford should be forced to recall these vehicles, since it is a safety issue when the rear-end seizes up eventually.

Another great Ford product
By Don on 01/31/09 10:50 AM (PST)

2004 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have owned this vehicle for over 5 years now and have had no major problems. It is serviced by my dealer every 5000 miles and washed and cleaned regularly as it should be. I have had no paint(black) or fading problems, in fact my dealer just detailed it and it looked like it did when it was purchased 5 years ago. I did have the plastic panel on the rear tailgate freeze up and crack at 52800 miles, but Ford and my dealer took care of the problem since it is a Ford design flaw.The vehicle is fun to drive and is usually the vehicle that is taken on longer trips and up until recently, we owned a full size Mercury, but this vehicle is much more fun to drive. My wife has no objection to driving.

Great SUV
By VA4WD on 01/30/09 04:02 AM (PST)

2004 Ford Explorer SUV XLS 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Bought this Explorer in Jan 2004 after looking at Toyota Nissan and Chevy. The 2004 Explorer had the others beat in many categories: excellent handling on curvy roads yet smooth riding over bumps and rough roads, V6 has great oomph in town and on the highway, well laid out dash and interior, very attractive and durable cloth seats on the XLS model. Having owned this Ford for 5 years it has been a very reliable and faithful companion. Warranty repairs included a transmission fix a rear differential leak, no more trouble out of either after the initial repair. After warranty repairs have been to install a starter as the old one was slowing down. Thanks Ford for making a great SUV!

Beautiful-if you don't stand too close!
By disappointed on 12/30/08 09:17 AM (PST)

2004 Ford Explorer SUV XLS 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This SUV has some real problems cosmetically. The paint begins to peel after a few years, the panel on the liftgate cracks for no reason other than a bad design flaw, and the black trim on the doors fades and cracks after a few years. The worse thing about all of this is that after selling someone this SUV for $30,000, Ford will not stand behind one of their most expensive products and help the consumer out, especially when the design flaws and defective paint jobs are Ford's own mistakes. As far as reliability, I have had no problems yet, but the transmission is pretty clunky, and will probably not last as long as it should. We had a 2000 model that needed a new tranny at 44,000 miles.

Junk
By John on 12/10/08 12:25 PM (PST)

2004 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased this car new. It is now December of 2008 and this car has seen the dealership more than my driveway. Ford has put a bad car out on this one. I love my dealership, they have done everything possible to make me happy but the product that Ford put out will make me go onto to GMC or other.

Sleek and powerful
By jrappy87 on 11/22/08 17:27 PM (PST)

2004 Ford Explorer SUV Limited AWD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Overall, I love this car. I love the roar it makes when you floor it! it feels like i have so much power. The AWD is a great feature and is fun too floor it in the snow. The car is so sleek and awesome looking. I have the chrome rims, chrome running board and chrome roof rack. Just watch out when you floor it the MPG goes down a lot! It is fun if you floor it long enough to watch it go through all the gears! There is no winding noise when you get up to 6 RPMS its actually a cool sound like a whistle. Everyone should get this car!

Fit for a scrap yard
By Mike on 09/04/08 21:18 PM (PDT)

2004 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

After owning mostly Honda and Chevy vechicles, I thought I would try a Ford Explorer since I liked the look of them. Bad choice on my part. What a hunk of junk. The transmission went at 17k, rear differential needed repair at 25K. Too many things to list here. Its sold now, and I bought a Honda Pilot. All my Hondas (a 95 Civic, 2000 Accord, 2004 Civic) have been worth every penny. This Explorer I was almost willing to pay someone to take. Don't settle for this kind of quality people. There are better vehicles out there, and Ford doesn't make them!

One of the best years
By LuvMyFord on 07/08/08 18:51 PM (PDT)

2004 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

In spite of the low mpg, this model is an excellent reliable vehicle that's great to drive short or long trips. The overdrive is worth it's weight in gold, dropping rpm to so little you forget the engine is running. No road noise, so you know the insulation is terrific. The downside is even the V6 only gets 16 mpg, but that's with the a/c on and doing 65mph. Not terrible considering the weight. This V6 is also a flex fuel, but if you use E85 the mpg is far worse. Plenty of room in the back for sleeping, or cargo. And you can't beat the 6 CD stereo, and the seat warmers that are coordinated with the cabin temp selection. For the sheer comfort this model is a winner.

Worth Nothing after 60,000 Miles
By drmac on 06/16/08 12:15 PM (PDT)

2004 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my Explorer XLT brand new. I had "electronic" issues within the first six months. I had to have the instrument panel replaced twice. Afterwards, I was relatively pleased with the vehicle prior to 50,000 miles or so, but as soon as the Explorer was out of the warranty, everything went wrong. In the past 12 months, I've had to replace all the seals on the transmission, replace the bushings, front hubs, alternator, keyless entry keypad, backup sensors, and the emergency brake. I have my Explorer serviced on the recommended schedule and still have had to have the vehicle towed three times, leaving me stranded.