Used 2004 Ford Explorer SUV Consumer Reviews - 359 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Ford Explorer SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

Good at first.....
By SK

2004 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my Explorer brand new. ANd in the beginning, I loved it. Had problems with the transmission acting out, but everytime I took in to dealership, they could never find anything wrong. Drivers seat belt gets stuck once in awhile...have to keep ejecting over and over till it finally frees. The tires wear out very quickly. The brakes wear out quickly...had to have done more times than should have. And of course the heater....the blower wnet out, the wiring melted...Ford did not care at all, said it is not a safety issue. Well to me it was, because in the winter months and working nights..having no heat to defrost the windshield to see out of was a hazard. That cost me $500. to have fixed.

Very roomy.

Ford needs to own up the their customers valid complaints and recall the issues that are obviously a common factor among these vehicles.

How long should plastic last?
By rks

2004 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 5A)

We have had overall good luck with our Explorer. The major problem is that many plastic parts have failed which require costly fixes. Both plastic anchors on the right and left sun visors broke which resulted in the complete replacement of the visors. The plastic lift ring on the floor cover broke which required a whole new cover. The most annoying piece of plastic that has broken twice ($350) has been the plastic panel just below the rear window. I have noted that many Explorers are driving with this piece broken. Ford has a "policy" not to replace them which leads me to believe that Ford is not living up to its reputation as customer friendly.

Roomy, good engine and provides a good ride.

The rear hatch back has been modified over the years with the plastic trim eliminted.

Transmission Problems
By Matt

2004 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 5A)

I bought this car with 40,000 miles on it and with service records. 6 months later the Transmission was shot and I spent $2,300 having that rebuilt. 18 months after that the Transmission is starting to slip and the service engine light is on. All I want to do is trade in this hunk of junk for something that isn't going to make me worried that I am going to have to drop $2,000 every year or so on repairs.

2004 ford explorer
By ford guy

2004 Ford Explorer SUV XLT Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 5A)

I have a 2004 Ford explorer I bouth it in 2005 with only 25,000 miles five years later this car has been great to me so far I did have a ac/motor problem but it was covered under the warranty. I have done every maintenance that is recommended to this car and I do believe that it will last a lot longer. My parents have a 2005 explorer with almost 200,000 miles on it and only had problem with window motor. I would grade this car a A-.

I like that fact that the all wheel drive will kick in when the explorer begins to slip. Also the room with four of us this explorer fits us great.

gas mileage haha..

2004 Ford Explorer
By 2004 Ford Explorer

2004 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I can not believe that my explorer would be more reliable than my 2003 Toyota corolla. i bought this car from a friend and it had 360,000 miles. i got a tug for it only for 1 year because i thought it wouldn't last more than 1 year. The car still runs perfect and the handling in this car is amazing for an SUV. to keep this car perfect like this all you need is to do maintenance on time. i cant believe it didn't break down on me for the way i push this car. i just took it from Fairfax Virginia to Jacksonville North carolina 6 hours drive with 360k miles and its still FINE!! you see alot of Honda and Toyota in US but guess what do you see the most in Europe ? FORD!!!

Handling, Engine, Power, CD player still works