Used 2004 Ford Explorer XLS Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Ford Explorer - Consumer Reviews

2004 Ford Explorer

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

Love mine.
By blupencl

2004 Ford Explorer XLS Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Love it, but am disappointed in the mileage. Got the least fancy one on the lot (no huge tow package, for instance) and still get only 14 in town. I've been told that this will improve after 5000 miles. We shall see.

Favorite Features

It's very pretty, for one thing. Love the double hatch for loading smaller items like groceries, can open the hatch from my key fob.

Suggested Improvements

Maybe a hatch button inside the car - and the fancier models may have this.

handling gets better each year
By mestra

2004 Ford Explorer XLS Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I've had a Toyota 4runner, 2001 explorer,2002 explorer and now a 2004 explorer and each year the handling gets better and better. The Explorer feels more stable and secure with every years new model.

Favorite Features

independent suspension

Suggested Improvements

seats

2004 Ford Explorer XLS 2WD
By ESanchez

2004 Ford Explorer XLS Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This SUV is truely built "Ford Tough." It lives up to the standers that the Ford Motor Company is known for. The XLS model is built for 5 and is confortable for a small family that requires a spacious vehical. The fuel economy is ok for an SUV and it's also very confotable. This is a vehical for a family with a smaller budget that wants to enjoy a quality vehical!

Favorite Features

Standard CD player, airconditionind, power door/windows, and other useful equiptment make the Explorer XLS an SUV that is worth what you pay for.

Suggested Improvements

I would suggest that the Explorer be wider so that there would be a more space to seat the 3 passangers in the back seat more confortably.

explorer vs. escape
By Jarl Peltonen

2004 Ford Explorer XLS Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I recently traded a 2002 Escape for the Explorer XLS. My initial impressions were for the added cargo space and handling. The 2004 Explorer has improved handling with a little swaying in turns, but overall much improved. The blind spots are almost non existent due to the door pillar being further back. The cabin is quiet at high speeds vs. the Escape which was very noisy. For the price this is a perfect vehicle for my needs.

Favorite Features

I bought the stripped down body style so I could select my own aftermarket sideboards & grillguards, this was good for the fact that mounting was easier.

Suggested Improvements

The door locking feature needs to be more customizible. I don't like the fact that you can't change how the doors "unlock". ie. the cargo hatch remains locked when you shut down the engine and is not changeable. You always have to remember to unlock it to get your groceries.

Sully 6
By Sully 6

2004 Ford Explorer XLS Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have never owned this vehicale so, I don't know alot about it, however my sister ownes a 2002-03 ford explorer sport two door and she loves hers so I don't think I did to bad even though they could of took into concideration about the gas milage.

Favorite Features

The roominess and the quiteness of the interior of the cabin, not to mention the accessiblity to the back of the cabin.I also think that you should think about putting air conditioning in the back of all your Explorers

Suggested Improvements

Gas milage and putting air conditioning in the back of all your explorers.