2004 Ford Explorer SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:
Paint flys off in sheets off of roof
By haasis3 on 07/22/09 14:46 PM (PDT)

2004 Ford Explorer SUV XLS Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Our experience with Ford and this Ford Explorer has made us decide not to purchase any more Ford vehicles. This vehicle has had problems with warning lights showing up when there is no problem (started happening the very first month!), after 4 years the paint on the roof peeled off in sheets down to the bare metal and then rusted. Ford would have nothing to do with it (talked to Customer Service, the Ford body shop and dealership in SC). They wanted just under $1000 to repaint it even though it is obviously a flaw in the manufacturing and I have seen other reports on the internet. Also, now after 4.5 years, the gear shift indicator showing if you are in Park, Reverse, Drive doesn't work.

interior is great, mechanically its junk
By danny on 07/17/09 21:46 PM (PDT)

2004 Ford Explorer SUV XLT Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

needed a SUV for the family loved it for the 1st 3 years,then the transmission, the rear lift gate, the CD player, the brakes, the back seat all went to hell. Ford wont recall and repairs are to expensive. Have always been a Ford guy, no more, going with toyota or Nissan, maybe a GMC. Would not recommend this vehicle to anyone, the transmission is not reliable at all. Although the interior is comfortable and easy to use, mechanically its not worth it

Rear End
By Matt on 06/25/09 08:48 AM (PDT)

2004 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Ford needs to step to the plate and repair manufactures defective differientials. I do not beleive that in this day and age this part of the drive train should ever wear out esspecially when the humming atarted at about 50,000 miles. I also beleive that Ford knows of the problem and was aware that the rear ends where flawed at assembly and installed them anyway. A goodwill recall is the right thing to do. I will drive it till it dies and buy elsewhere if Ford does not mend my rear end. :-)

Rear Differential Failure - regret it!
By janev115 on 05/28/09 14:38 PM (PDT)

2004 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This car has always run rough - particularly the engine. Transmission had to be replaced when the car was less than a year old. The engine always had a loud whine on the highway and I had intermittent problems with the ABS light coming on and the 4x4 high light flashing. Turns out, this is all related and the entire rear differential needs to be replaced! A google search reveals that I am not alone. However, I am alone when it comes to paying the bill to fix this problem, apparently. I'd never buy this car again. Right now at 79,900 miles, but the whine has been going on for years. I just thought it was a loud truck.

2004 Ford Explorer Orig. Sticker Price?
By Yankeeboy1 on 05/16/09 13:18 PM (PDT)

2004 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I just purchased a pre-owned 2004 Ford Explorer XLT, 4x4, sunroof, V-8, 3rd seat, DVD, CD, running boards, keyless entry, all options, last owner had memo title in glove box stating purchase price of $46,029.17? Could this be correct? This no where near came up to this on any sites I looked at? Anybody validate this original price for me on an 2004 Explorer?

Performance SUV for the family
By GP on 05/03/09 20:10 PM (PDT)

2004 Ford Explorer SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Bought used with 38K two years ago. 53K now. Love the sound of the V8. Strong acceleration. Surprised by how well it handles. Pretty nimble for its size. Lots of convenient features. My kids love the DVD entertainment system. Rear parking sensor is nice but just went. Need to repair.

Still Getting My Money's Worth
By WNYFordGuy on 04/17/09 11:42 AM (PDT)

2004 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

My Dad recommended it because of the rebates/incentives/Z-plan discount. I was sold on the 3rd-row seat and very smooth ride. 52k miles later, I haven't been disappointed - it's been great for hauling kids/equipment to sports events, camping trips, and my short commute to work on our rough winter roads. Its interesting to read the other reviews - how can you complain about fuel economy (I get 15-16 MPG) when you run a heavy SUV with a relatively powerful 4.0 V6? I have no qualms about the tranny (though it whines in extreme cold at certain RPMs), even if it 'clunks' into reverse occasionally. I agree that the rear hatch trim is lousy. For what I paid, its been a pretty good value.

No Complaints
By Moorebuilder on 04/16/09 05:59 AM (PDT)

2004 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Bought this Explorer in '05 for the third row seats and 4-wheel drive in Michigan. The v-8 is an exceptionally smooth powerplant that has not given us any trouble. The traction control system is nice for the icy roads, and I feel very good that my wife and kids use this vehicle as their daily driver with all of the airbags, the 4wd, traction control and overall heft of the vehicle. We also tow a 22' boat with it and it makes an excellent tow vehicle. (The towing package spoils us) Overall, I haven't had to take it to the shop yet and I do standard maintenance on it myself.

Great value !
By MIKE E. on 03/14/09 05:56 AM (PDT)

2004 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Bought in jan.2008.The only issue was a recall on transmission clunking in reverse...dealer fixed over a year ago for free, no problems since.For the price you get a lot of features and room to haul a lot of stuff on vacation, or a trip to the home improvement center.Excellent in snow even with the cheap tires I have on it right now... a lot of other vehicles were getting stuck this winter while I drove right around them no problem!Not as good as Toyota/Honda but I hear that the new Edge and Flex are now on par with them.Great overall truck for thousands less than the competitors...just do the maintenance and you should have no problems.

John
By John R. on 03/08/09 07:56 AM (PDT)

2004 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This car is the worst car I have ever owned. There is over 10,000 dollars of repairs sence I purchased this car. The transfer case went bad twice. The Shift differencial twice. Front and upper ball joints. The break system had to be completely replaced. Roters worp. The rear end had to be rebuilt after 30000 miles. The transmission slips. The rear window and locking system had to be replaced. The rear trunk plastic cracked.The leather seats cracked after 4000 miles. It rides rough. I only get 11 miles to a gallon, 12 on a trip. The speekers crack. Ford Motor company, you ought to be ashamed of your self for putting a product out like this. If it wasn't for the extended warranty I would be in big trouble.