Used 2004 Ford Explorer XLT SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Ford Explorer SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

POOR CRAFTSMANSHIP
By STEVE

2004 Ford Explorer SUV XLT Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

HORRIBLE ROAD NOISE. GETTING LESS THAN 10 MILES PER GALLON FUEL ECONOMY. OVERALL A VERY POOR VEHICLE TO OWN. I BELIEVE THAT THEY ARE USING THE NEW BODY STYLE TO GET PEOPLE TO BELIEVE THAT THE VEHICLE IS FIXED, BUT IN ALL ACTUALITY THE VEHICLE IS MORE POORLY MADE NOW THAN IT WAS BACK WITH THE 2000 BODY STYLE.

Things could be better
By Texas

2004 Ford Explorer SUV XLT Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have owned my vehicle just over 1 year and I have had it in to the dealership 3 times due to the air- conditioning. It was making a terrible sound after I drove it a short distance, stopped, and then re- started the vehicle. Yet the dealership could not find anything wrong. Finally, after several months, the "High-pressure Valve" blew and caused a terrible noise/rumbling of the entire vehicle. Once that was repaired, under warranty, the vehicle drove fine and the air conditioner worked well. I also notice a Humming while I am accellerating. It can be quite irritating on long trips when you are in a rear seat.

I love the 3rd seat and interior.

Reduce the vehicle noise

Practical SUV
By tatemark

2004 Ford Explorer SUV XLT Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is our second Explorer and we have been pleased with both. The improvements in the design, comfort and ride of the 2004 model are nothing short of amazing when compared with my trusty old workhorse '98. If you are looking for a reasonably priced mid- size SUV, look no further. Am looking forward to the development of the hybrid version--have enjoyed driving the Prius hybrid as a rental car and would love to have that kind of fuel economy in an SUV. As it stands now, we use the Explorer for carpool and hauling around town because of the mpgs. Other than that issue (which I admit is a big one) we love the car.

size, comfort, convenience, price

fuel efficiency--start rolling out the hybrid version!

Disappointed...
By aeodie

2004 Ford Explorer SUV XLT Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I decided to buy the explorer instead of a grand cherokee or 4 runner because I liked the styling and it seemed to be the perfect size for my family...not too big, but bigger than most mid-sized suvs. I bought a new vehicle because we were about to have a new baby and I wanted something reliable...that has not been the case. I have had the rear- end replaced because it was making a loud noise. I have had the engine light come on due to a spark plug problem. Two tires were replaced due to "abnormal wear," and the interior has had some problems. I have been disappointed with this vehicle, even though the service from Ford has been good.

keypad on door that locks/unlocks vehicle

BETTER QUALITY!!! The rear-end problem that my explorer had is a common problem, I don't understand why it has not been corrected if this is the case.

2nd explorer
By slong

2004 Ford Explorer SUV XLT Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I put 189000 miles on my 96 explorer my daughter is still driving it.The new one has more interior comfort and more bells and whistles

auto head lamps,and power seat

better gas mileage