Used 2004 Ford Explorer SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Ford Explorer - Consumer Reviews

2004 Ford Explorer SUV

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

Nimble & quick
By Doug B

2004 Ford Explorer SUV XLT Sport AWD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 5A)

I "right-sized" from my Expedition with no regrets. Great road manners and adequate towing cability for all my needs. Much friendlier at gas pump as well. Everyone's in love with "RED FIRE" metallic color too. XLT is Best bang-for buck on road today.

Favorite Features

towing package, V8, "red fire" color, cloth seats in premium vehicle, no 3rd seat

Suggested Improvements

floor mats, why offer a cheesey 1.25" hitch/receiver on some models??? a 2- inch receiver should be standard. add tow hooks to front as option. depth of receiver pin hole could be better (deeper) to better accommodate receiver covers.

Last ford we will ever buy
By Bigh

2004 Ford Explorer SUV XLT Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

We purchased our 2004 Ford Explorer in June 2004. First day drivers side speaker went out (had short) Drove our new explorer to Florida put about 3K miles Rear end started making noise while driving between 50 - 60 mph. Noise wouild quit when letting off gas. Went to dealer where we purchased vehicle and left at service dept. Was called about 2 hours latter said complete rear end had to be replaced. After checking on internet I,m not the only one with this problem. From what I,ve read only effects Explorer Sport model. Looks like ford knew it had a problem 4 months ago but waited for somebody to buy there piece of junk before they would fix. Last Ford

Favorite Features

Knowing someday I,ll be getting rid of it

Suggested Improvements

build something that will last more than 3k miles without major repair. Stop selling junk to consumers

Third one
By jasonj

2004 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 5A)

This is my third Explorer and they just keep getting better! The Advancetrac system is wonderful in the snow, and the reverse sensing system help me from running over my sons friends bike that he left directly behind my car. I have not had any problems with it, no have I had problems with my past ones. Power from the V8 is great, and tows our 3500lb trailer with ease. The interior is every nice, and squeak free.

Favorite Features

Reverse sensing system, Advance-trac system

Suggested Improvements

heated steering wheel, smarter automatic headlamps, one touch up windows and close moonroof

Hate!
By David Willams

2004 Ford Explorer SUV XLT Sport AWD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my peace of junk in January. I always had Honda's my whole life. My last Honda lasted 1991-2004 with one problem with it after it's first 120,000 miles. I had 202,000 miles on my Honda when it died. This Ford handles terrobly. Get a Honda or a Toyota not a Ford or a Chrysler.

Favorite Features

AWD

Suggested Improvements

turning raduis, terribole gas milllige, brakes, price should be $18,000-$23,000.

Trans Problems
By kblock108

2004 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer Rwd 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 5A)

At 5500 miles, I had my automatic trans replaced and the vehicle still does not run correct. Person Ford continues to tell me that it shifts rough because it is a computer aided trans. Ford has not stood behind their product and I have taken Ford off my list of future vehicles!

Suggested Improvements

Over haul