2004 Ford Explorer SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:
Minor problem but overall great vehicle
By Bill s on 11/06/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 Ford Explorer SUV XLT Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

The only problem I have had is a rear axle that whined like some of the "Fords & Chevy's of old". Ford is replacing the rear axle form one the dealership had in stock. I believe there must be an ongoing problem with this part because I do not believe a dealership normally has a specific rear axle sitting around in their parts shop unless they expect to change a certain amount. Cheaper than a recall? Other than that this vehicle is a true pleasure to drive and the workmanship and fit and tinish is far above average. I would highly recommend one of these vehicles, but listen closely for that axle whine.

Best American SUV Ever
By tonyy on 11/01/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This Explorer runs circles around the rest out there. Best value for your dollar. Proud to drive this SUV as an American.

Love this car
By MaryLou on 11/01/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer AWD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Car? Truck? We still don't know what to call it. Fun to drive, good-looking, leather can handle lots of kids in and out with sports stuff, plenty of room for everybody and everything. Excellent handling; I can't believe how well I can maneuver it in small spaces. We cruise along at 60 or 70 and it doesn't feel like you're going fast at all. Gas is about $30 a week.

Ford explorer-3rd one
By Pambrob on 10/29/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 Ford Explorer SUV NBX 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Ahhh the 2003 is way smoother then my 1997 model. Gas mileage is way better too. I feel so safe in this suv. Picky-heat comes out on the leg...hmmm they need to move it back to the floor. But it came out on the foot of the 1997 model which was no better. My 1993 model has the heat right-over the brake foot! Which is better since your foot is not always there. Do not like the shuffle button on the radio-it messes up the order of the cd playing. AND where was the power seat for the passenger in a 30,000 car! I had not idea this was not there! ugh. But I would not buy anything else....

transmission problems
By Matthew and Jenna on 10/28/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I've had several transmission problems with my 1992 Ford Explorer. I had to bring it back to AAMCO about 5 or 6 times I've actually lost track but the couldnt find the problem. they were stumped. So finally the last time i got the truck back from AAMCO the mechanic said that ford explorers have transmissions from a Ford Pinto except its built a little stronger but when i say little i mean little. from a scale from 1 to 5, 1 being crappy and 10 being excelent i would give it a 2.

Excellent Vehicle
By Kenneth Lindsey Sr. on 10/28/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer AWD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 5A)

One of the best all purpose vehicles I have owned. Better than the land rover I had at one time. Great quality, ammenities, and the new design is the perfect size. Would recommend the 4x4 Eddie Bauer v8 to anyone.

My truck sucks
By Paula11471 on 10/28/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 Ford Explorer SUV XLT AWD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

i have had the transmission replace 2 time, the head liner is falling and the left driver door wont close all the time and the rubber trim on the right back door is falling off and now the rear end is making some kind of noise . In short this is a Friday truck and the over all quality of it sucks and i will never own another ford!!!!!

Excellent SUV
By stdavis on 10/27/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

The Explorer is an excellent overall value. It can manage people or cargo with ease. It is very capable in all weather conditions. I particularly enjoyed it in last winter's ice storm. It performed flawlessly. I found the V6 to be adequate while towing a small trailer and in most situations. The build quality is excellent and I think that it is the best looking sport utility made.

mfgz
By MaryFranes Zayas on 10/22/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Vehicle handles well and is very comfortable. Mirrors are rounded at the bottom and gives a blind area when backing up

DONT PASS UP
By Bob-0 on 10/22/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Ford Explorer SUV XLS Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I absolutely love my explorer I am a 19 year old college student and it has everything I could want and more. It's ability to handle in weather and its tight turning radius makes it a execellent overall driving experience. The best thing I could say about this car is that it is a beast of a machine. I was rear-ended and the bumper only sustained a 2 inch crack while the guy who hit me totalled the front of his car. The only downside is the lack of boost and the sound system, but my youthful aspect has fixed that.