Used 2004 Ford Explorer Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Ford Explorer - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

Nimble & quick
By Doug B

2004 Ford Explorer XLT Sport AWD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 5A)

I "right-sized" from my Expedition with no regrets. Great road manners and adequate towing cability for all my needs. Much friendlier at gas pump as well. Everyone's in love with "RED FIRE" metallic color too. XLT is Best bang-for buck on road today.

towing package, V8, "red fire" color, cloth seats in premium vehicle, no 3rd seat

floor mats, why offer a cheesey 1.25" hitch/receiver on some models??? a 2- inch receiver should be standard. add tow hooks to front as option. depth of receiver pin hole could be better (deeper) to better accommodate receiver covers.

Last ford we will ever buy
By Bigh

2004 Ford Explorer XLT Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

We purchased our 2004 Ford Explorer in June 2004. First day drivers side speaker went out (had short) Drove our new explorer to Florida put about 3K miles Rear end started making noise while driving between 50 - 60 mph. Noise wouild quit when letting off gas. Went to dealer where we purchased vehicle and left at service dept. Was called about 2 hours latter said complete rear end had to be replaced. After checking on internet I,m not the only one with this problem. From what I,ve read only effects Explorer Sport model. Looks like ford knew it had a problem 4 months ago but waited for somebody to buy there piece of junk before they would fix. Last Ford

Knowing someday I,ll be getting rid of it

build something that will last more than 3k miles without major repair. Stop selling junk to consumers

Third one
By jasonj

2004 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 5A)

This is my third Explorer and they just keep getting better! The Advancetrac system is wonderful in the snow, and the reverse sensing system help me from running over my sons friends bike that he left directly behind my car. I have not had any problems with it, no have I had problems with my past ones. Power from the V8 is great, and tows our 3500lb trailer with ease. The interior is every nice, and squeak free.

Reverse sensing system, Advance-trac system

heated steering wheel, smarter automatic headlamps, one touch up windows and close moonroof

Hate!
By David Willams

2004 Ford Explorer XLT Sport AWD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my peace of junk in January. I always had Honda's my whole life. My last Honda lasted 1991-2004 with one problem with it after it's first 120,000 miles. I had 202,000 miles on my Honda when it died. This Ford handles terrobly. Get a Honda or a Toyota not a Ford or a Chrysler.

AWD

turning raduis, terribole gas milllige, brakes, price should be $18,000-$23,000.

Ford Explorer
By GGates31

2004 Ford Explorer XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have just bought the Ford Explorer and it is a great vehicle. I was considering a GMC Envoy but he price is too high and the interior and safty features are just not as good.

Overall look, interior, and drive.