2004 Ford Explorer SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:
explorer as a towed vehicle
By doris leslie on 11/26/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 5A)

we previously owned a gmc jimmy. this vehicle rows much better and gives us better gas mileage. I love my eddie bauer explorer.

acura TL traded for 3004 XLT
By first_explorer on 11/23/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I had just bought a 2002 acura tl last year, and was very bored with it. I drove all the mid suv's, Pilot, Endeavor, Envoy, Tblazer and was not impressed, the endeavor was the best of the bunch. Then I drove he Explorer. I had liked the styling of the new body style since 2002 and now that the 2004 XLT has monotoned paint and chrome grill it looks REAL sharp!! And in black with black tints, is very nice. I test drove one, and traded my TL. the ride is very good even after coming out of an acura. I got mine 500 over dealer, and with a $3000 rebate or 0%. and free 3rd row seating how can you go wrong? the 2004 Explorer is a great suv.. now stop reading and go buy one!!!

Great Car
By HappyCamper on 11/22/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 Ford Explorer SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 5A)

The "new" Explorer is totally different from earlier models. Earlier models were much more "trucklike." This one is as smooth as silk. The engine in my 2004 Limited is a 4.6 liter V8, that is identical to that in the Crown Vic Sport, yet seems even more responsive in the Explorer. Appointments are well thought out and attractive. While I have only had the Explorer a short time, it seems to be a terrific vehicle.

Nice, but not my bag.
By giznad on 11/17/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I rented on for a week long trip. It was what I expected in an American SUV. Bland exterior and interior, underpowered engine, but it its defence. It did swalow all my cargo and make it from Orlando to Key West on one tank of gas. For my 30K I'de look to an Audi Wagon or an Infinity FX 35/45

2004 Explorer Eddie Bauer, not 2003
By Pducctv on 11/15/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

We just purchased our 2004 Explorer Eddie Bauer Edition, trading in our 1998 2dr Explorer Sport. We fine the ride a lot smoother, than the 98, and a lot quiter.

Klauer's Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer
By Kathryn Klauer on 11/13/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer AWD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 5A)

We bought this vehicle in October 2000. It has proven to be a very reliable family vehicle. Great for road trips, hauling large or many items. It has ample leg room for adults in the back seat and is by far the favorite vehicle to ride in or drive in our family. My daughter has said that because of the smooth ride this vehicle has, she does not experience car sickness when riding in the back seat as compared to riding in the back seat of her friend's car. This vehicle is a complete dream to own and drive.

Loved the First ONe-bought another
By explorer on 11/13/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 Ford Explorer SUV Limited Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I had a 1994 Limited and had absolutely no problems with it....from the top of Pike's Peak to Death Valley and towing two horses through the snow....this car did it all. So why switch? Bought another.

I was surprised!
By pDub on 11/12/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 Ford Explorer SUV Limited Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Very comfortable and easy to drive. Doesn't feel like you're driving a SUV other than towering over people.

GREAT CAR
By RALP on 11/12/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 Ford Explorer SUV XLT Sport Rwd 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 5A)

fANTANSTIC CAR. NO PROBS AT ALL...LOVE IT!

Minor problem but overall great vehicle
By Bill s on 11/06/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 Ford Explorer SUV XLT Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

The only problem I have had is a rear axle that whined like some of the "Fords & Chevy's of old". Ford is replacing the rear axle form one the dealership had in stock. I believe there must be an ongoing problem with this part because I do not believe a dealership normally has a specific rear axle sitting around in their parts shop unless they expect to change a certain amount. Cheaper than a recall? Other than that this vehicle is a true pleasure to drive and the workmanship and fit and tinish is far above average. I would highly recommend one of these vehicles, but listen closely for that axle whine.