Used 2004 Ford Explorer SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Ford Explorer - Consumer Reviews

2004 Ford Explorer SUV

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

Transmission Nightmare!
By Unhappy with Ford

2004 Ford Explorer SUV XLT AWD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have had this vehicle for 2 years and now have to replace the transmission. I loved driving this but will never ever get another Ford. The manufacturer and the dealerships do not stand behind there product!

I JUST LOVE IT!
By Stacie Eady

2004 Ford Explorer SUV Limited Rwd 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 5A)

I owned a 99 Eddie Bauer that was fully loaded, and what I thought was perfect until I got my new Limited. Anything that I didn't realize wasn't convenient on the E.B., quicky became clear. The new design has so much more space, drives and handles like a sports car but has all of the luxuries of a high end sedan. Though, I had most of the same features on my E.B., they have been improved upon. It has such a clean look inside and out. I almost purchased a Volvo. The same safety features the salesman impressed upon, are present on my Limited. I've never owned a car more than 2 yrs, but I drove my E.B. for five years. I may keep this one 10.

Favorite Features

Third row seat, adjustable pedals with seat memory, 6 CD changer in dash rather than trunk or glove box, ergonomic design of the hatch for loading groceries, extra space, DVD system and the safety features. Most of all, I appreciate the independent rear supsension.

Suggested Improvements

Better gas mileage, power 3rd row seat, Keep up the good work for the person who has been doing the redesigning since my last Explorer in 1999.

What an improvement
By kdeanjack

2004 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I also have a 1997 Explorer and the new 2004 is greatly refined jexcept for the seats. The 97 model has power seats that are longer and have power lumbar. I feel as if I backed up with seat comfort but it has a better ride and shifts smoothly and has as good acceleration as my son's GMC Envoy that has 60 more horses than my 210 HP V6.

Favorite Features

The rear air is the reason I went with the Eddie Bauer. It is a great design and the way the seats fold forward is very nice.

Suggested Improvements

The only draw back I have is that I wanted a Class III receiver to pull my wave runner and carry a bike rack. The Class II hitch was welded into place and could not be removed, therefore the way they bolted a Class III below the Class II hitch was not a well thought out solution.

Very Happy
By socialwork2

2004 Ford Explorer SUV XLT AWD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought the AWD Explorer on July 10, 2004, and already have over 1000 mi on it. It is fun to drive, and great to look at. The ride feels like a truck, but a smooth one anyway. It feels nice to be in the driver's seat. Interior is very functional with the 3rd row seat, and it looks good too. Impressive all the way around. There is a squeek coming from the front wheels over bumps or rough roads. It sounds like defective ball joints, but the dealer was hesitant to replace them since everything is funtioning well. I'm am taking it back in to get them replaced because it is annoying and still under warrenty. Nothing major by any means. Highly recommend

Favorite Features

AWD, sunroof, 3rd row, color (aspen green), deep center console, rear A/C, just about everything.

Suggested Improvements

standard 17" wheels, better gas mileage although I expected worse than what I'm getting. City 16-17, Highway 22. Just baby the engine the first few hundred miles and it will pay off in the long run. It will baby you for years to come.

I LOVE MY FORD EXPLORER
By dncdnc1

2004 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 5A)

I love this truck! I got the V-8 and still get good gas mileage (around 18 before my upgrades) it is powerful and fast. The layout is very nice on the inside and the upgraded sound system is great with its built in subwoofer. The exterior is awesome looking and I feel safe too (I got in a freeway accident with my old one, well i am typing aren't I?). I added a K&N filter charger and a flowmaster so my mileage is over 20 mpg now too. And it is faster too. Also it performs very well off road, and yes i take it off road unlike soccer moms. Only compliant the seats SUCK! Long trips are a pain, literally. But I still recommend this truck.

Favorite Features

Power, features, look, space, just about everything

Suggested Improvements

better seating, my old sport trac was leaps and bounds more comfortable